We Have a Problem at Point Guard | Page 4 | The Boneyard

We Have a Problem at Point Guard

Reaction Score
The run started with about 16 min left in the half and went til there were about 8 min left. In this span we went from down 18 to up 1. Is there anywhere we can see which players were in during this time frame. I distinctly remember watching the comeback and thinking to myself “probably because Cole isn’t in.” It was either that or he barely touched the ball. Either way - good for us.
I can look for you. There's a site they shows every substitution but for some reason last night's game is missing

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Everybody is playing team ball. The PG's are a big part of that. The team kept working after Bouk went down. They get credit for that, too. Let's not forget the things these guys are doing right. That was a nice win.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can look for you. There's a site they shows every substitution but for some reason last night's game is missing
Cover up?

Reaction Score
The run started with about 16 min left in the half and went til there were about 8 min left. In this span we went from down 18 to up 1. Is there anywhere we can see which players were in during this time frame. I distinctly remember watching the comeback and thinking to myself “probably because Cole isn’t in.” It was either that or he barely touched the ball. Either way - good for us.
For some reason Marquette isn't on this site so had to piece it together from the ESPN box score and TCF's highlights. Cole was in when the lead got up to 43-25, Gaffney was subbed in some time around 47-40 and subbed out at either 48-47 UConn or 50-48 Marquette and Cole finished the game.

So of the 29 point swing depending on when Gaffney came out that's either +21 Cole and +8 Gaffney or +24 Cole and +5 Gaffney

Reaction Score
From a look through my DVR, so my math is pretty quick here, this is what it appears 2nd-half Cole/Gaff usage during the comeback was:

• Cole came out for first time in half at 10:29 mark (47-40 MQ at substitution. UConn on 17-6 run from down 18 to down 7).
  • Gaffney in from 10:29-6:28 mark (50-48 MQ at sub. UConn on 8-3 run during Gaffney's time in from down 7 to down 2.)
  • Cole in from 6:28 on (65-54 UConn at final buzzer. UConn closes with 17-4 run from down 2 to 11-point win.)

Reaction Score
From a look through my DVR, so my math is pretty quick here, this is what it appears 2nd-half Cole/Gaff usage during the comeback was:

• Cole came out for first time in half at 10:29 mark (47-40 MQ at substitution. UConn on 17-6 run from down 18 to down 7).
  • Gaffney in from 10:29-6:28 mark (50-48 MQ at sub. UConn on 8-3 run during Gaffney's time in from down 7 to down 2.)
  • Cole in from 6:28 on (65-54 UConn at final buzzer. UConn closes with 17-4 run from down 2 to 11-point win.)
Matches up exactly with what I found and posted above so this seems right to me

Reaction Score
The name of the play is "Waiting for Diggins." The shame is that Diggins and Bouk will never see the court together. This will definitely make both this year's and next year's NCs harder than they might have been.

Reaction Score
No, but that same lineup with Cole replacing Gaffney did pretty well in the 2nd half . . .

We are better with Cole on the floor. Not saying he's been great, but objectively better than Gaffney.
It was Gaffney, Polley, Carlton, Adams and Martin IIRC... putting Bouk in opens things up for everyone substantially, not to mention we couldn’t put the ball in an ocean during the first 25 min.

Reaction Score
Cole was in the game for the beginning and end of that run. Are we just making things up now?
What do you expect from someone who thinks that the XL Center is better than Gampel?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
What do you expect from someone who thinks that the XL Center is better than Gampel?
You again? XL is better IMO. Literally 5 minutes from my house. Holds more fans. Serves beer. Has actual bars and restaurants around it. Is centrally located and isn’t out in the sticks like where you live. I see far more friends and family at XL games. All of that makes it better IMO. Most people I know complain when they find out a certain game is at Gampel.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
lol Ricky Moore and others would eat his lunch

Fair point but they'd eat Gaffs breakfast, lunch and dinner in comparison. Give Cole credit he may not be Ricky Moore but he plays his man very tough and relentless without the super quickness of Ricky or Boat. He's kind of more like Bazz on man but not as good as an anticipator off his man. He did his job well last night and was really good against Zegs/Creighton too.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping for growth from both of them,, but they both are in a hard position. Everyone who knows who the 'Alpha' is and that can actually be hard for a true point guard to play with. Much of the time it's "give it to Bouk and get out of the way".
Gaffney is afraid of making 'the mistake' and getting pulled. RJ doesn't seem to understand 'the moment' a game is in once in a while, but he is getting better at it.
Both will improve, but maybe not as much as we would like in a year like this. I think in the fans eyes, we're wanting more knowing that Bouk is leaving at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
I’ve been a fan since the 90s, have we ever had such a weak pg room? Even the dark years w Ollie we had Jalen, who was a stud. I really want gaffney To try to work thru his confidence issues, Cole really struggling Offensively at this level. Both will likely improve, I think gaffney can improve a lot more.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Some of our issues need to be addressed in scouting. Undersized guards just can not finish in the paint against modern high major bigs. I think the future is going like 6’4+ on ball.

Reaction Score
Anyone have the up to date season +\- for Cole and Gaff? It was well in Cole’s favor in the games I checked. I’m not sure what it is now but I’m guessing Cole continues to torch Gaff by that metric. At a point, you’ve got to accept it. I’m not sure how many games some would consider a large enough sample, but 6 is decent.

Reaction Score
Anyone have the up to date season +\- for Cole and Gaff? It was well in Cole’s favor in the games I checked. I’m not sure what it is now but I’m guessing Cole continues to torch Gaff by that metric. At a point, you’ve got to accept it. I’m not sure how many games some would consider a large enough sample, but 6 is decent.
I think that metric is going to be partially skewed because your starter will mostly be playing with the starters and the bench pg will mostly be playing with a blend of bench guys and starters, so naturally the +\- would favor the starter. Unless I am missing something, that would make sense to me.

Reaction Score
I think that metric is going to be partially skewed because your starter will mostly be playing with the starters and the bench pg will mostly be playing with a blend of bench guys and starters, so naturally the +\- would favor the starter. Unless I am missing something, that would make sense to

I don’t think so. Other than Bouk, who plays most of the game, the rotation has been varied quite a bit. The team is better with Cole IMO. Cole’s +/- has been much better when I’ve looked, like not close.

Reaction Score
Truth. You have to go all the way back to the 2019-2020 season to find a worse PG situation.
I hear you, but i think we’re missing the quickness of alterique as Cole has the quicks of dad runners everywhere on the boneyard. While Alterique had some major flaws esp finishing, he was plenty quick and a threat to drive. i thought ‘Rique leaving was best for all, I just didn’t know gaffney would regress and Cole would be Jason witten.
Gaffney as a freshman wasn’t as timid as sophomore gaffney. He would make a steal and go to other end & finish, plus I remember some awesome reverse finishes. He was trending up big time. Not sure what happened.

Reaction Score
I am not impressed with Cole so far. Bad shots taken by him. He just isn’t what was talked up to be at this point. He needs to step back and find his game. Take high quality shots that aren’t rushed. Gaffney he will figure it out. I’d rather have Gaffney start over Cole at this point.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I appreciate the positivity, but our two point guards together are posting the following numbers in 53 MPG:

.309 FG
.326 3PT
16.0 PPG
5.6 APG
3.3 TPG

They have 26 FGs in six games. Neither can finish at the rim. Both can defend and make their FT (save the Cole dig) but leave a lot to be desired. Cole is struggling in ways I expected to see. The Big East is a massive step up from the MEAC. He can hang defensively but looks overwhelmed and limited on the offensive end.

We stayed in the Creighton game because Bouk played like the best player in America and we won tonight because Polley turned into Klay Thompson. We cannot rely on world-beating performances to win games.

Our point guard situation is a problem and it's been apparent in every game we've played this year.

Those look like Vital's stats last year.

Those look nothing like Vital's stats last year. Not from the beginning of the season or any seven game subset of the season.

Vital was a much better shooter last year than these two are this year.

.398 FG
.346 3Pt
16.3 points
6.3 rebounds
2.6 assists
2.7 TO

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads