We have a lot of depth next year..but is it the right depth? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We have a lot of depth next year..but is it the right depth?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
This 6' 2" guard won't defend a singularly quick guard, but she is a genuine tall guard who handles the ball well, is fairly quick, and is fond of the NBA 3. I give you Caroline Ducharme:

She shoots the 3 like she did in this video she may become the best 3pt shooter in UConn history. Caroline Ducharme has some range that not even KML or KLS showed in HS.

Reaction Score
UConn is getting exactly what Geno needs. They are filling every weak spot in the team. A legitimate center, Three excellent 3 point shooters, with Fudd possibly possessing the best shooting stroke ever (college and NBA men included.) The other two really tall and agile players, who according to Geno can play any position (what UConn has been lacking)

Geno said that they are the best group, as people, who have ever come to UConn, They are all players who would be the dominant player on almost any other team in the country and set scoring records at those schools.

That will not happen at UConn, and they know it. So, they have the most important ingredient of all- selflessness. They want to be part of a great team. And they see UConn as the program in which they will achieve the upper limit of their potential.

This is TonyC-level awesome.

Reaction Score
UConn is getting exactly what Geno needs. They are filling every weak spot in the team. A legitimate center, Three excellent 3 point shooters, with Fudd possibly possessing the best shooting stroke ever (college and NBA men included.) The other two really tall and agile players, who according to Geno can play any position (what UConn has been lacking)

Geno said that they are the best group, as people, who have ever come to UConn, They are all players who would be the dominant player on almost any other team in the country and set scoring records at those schools.

That will not happen at UConn, and they know it. So, they have the most important ingredient of all- selflessness. They want to be part of a great team. And they see UConn as the program in which they will achieve the upper limit of their potential.

This is TonyC-level awesome.
Who is this center you speak of?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Much depends, IMO, on how well Caroline and Saylor fit in. If they are one-dimensional, as scorers, then Griffin at least will be useful. But if the two newbies have defensive skills to combine with their offensive talent, neither Aubrey nor Mir will get much court time.
Playing time, as usual, will come to those with the skill, determination, and commitment, but some who played this year will most likely find their time shrunk with the advent of the freshmen.
Saylor played 1-5 on offense in high school and was in the post for the most part on defense. From what I've seen (all in video, not live, but I have watched full games) she's never shied away from contact, and she's a good interior defender.

I'd love to see Geno and CD develop her into a 3/4 type player rather than a guard/wing. Don't forget that Napheesa came in as a wing and has been a 3/4 in the W.

Saylor and Caroline are spoken of in the same vein, but they have very different physiques. That became apparent to me when I first saw this photo:

5XJSSEOQWNHUNAZMOF5RGXPG2I.jpg

Reaction Score
A LOT of jump shooters who play a perimeter game, but not many at all post player & bruisers inside who like physical play. Rebounding will be a question mark still against the top teams. I'm sure we'll roll in the BE again, but remains to be seen if we beat the top teams - all of whom will have both size & depth. UConn title teams of the past were always much more balanced.
Stop with the size statements. Olivia / 6'5", Aaliyah / 6'3", Amari DeBerry / 6'5". Also, we will have size in the backcourt. Also, Aaliyah will be starting from game 1.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Fans can be realistic.
I neither dispute this nor pull back from what I've written, and I certainly appreciate a number of posts that appear in this thread.

Reaction Score
A LOT of jump shooters who play a perimeter game, but not many at all post player & bruisers inside who like physical play. Rebounding will be a question mark still against the top teams. I'm sure we'll roll in the BE again, but remains to be seen if we beat the top teams - all of whom will have both size & depth. UConn title teams of the past were always much more balanced.
Tell me who has better depth across all positions next year than UConn?

Reaction Score
I see one of Geno's four recruits is chewing gum. He will break her of that habit in their very first practice. :cool:

Reaction Score
I see one of Geno's four recruits is chewing gum. He will break her of that habit in their very first practice. :cool:
Might just be a breath mint. She looks too mature to be chewing gum.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Is the legitimate center AD? The one who most posters campare to Liv? Who in your book must be illegitimate...
We can have more that one; but I was making a joke. Should have emoticoned it.

Reaction Score
I bet, if we tried really hard, we can find fault with everything. Not enough depth. Not the right depth. Not enough post players. Too many post players. Too many guards. Good grief.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom