We have a lot of depth next year..but is it the right depth? | The Boneyard

We have a lot of depth next year..but is it the right depth?

Reaction Score
A LOT of jump shooters who play a perimeter game, but not many at all post player & bruisers inside who like physical play. Rebounding will be a question mark still against the top teams. I'm sure we'll roll in the BE again, but remains to be seen if we beat the top teams - all of whom will have both size & depth. UConn title teams of the past were always much more balanced.

Reaction Score
UConn will be scary good. Pretty much favorites. But they can lose to SC, Stanford, NC State, Maryland , or Baylor. The same will be said vice versa.. Louisville as well. The top heavy programs has a chance against each other. UConn just stands out with their talent returning alone. Then add on the new class.

Reaction Score
Looking at the elite teams from this season, Most lose important players to graduation with the exception of South Carolina and Connecticut. Both teams bring in some stellar recruits. They to me are the top two. A lot depends on how these new players fit into the existing chemistry.

Reaction Score
I think this is going to be something to watch and see what develops with the incoming talent and blending with the current talent. On paper, if we are perimeter dominant, that opens up some up on the offensive end. Defensive side, if the players develop that Nika type mindset on the defensive end, lights out! Our 1st unit and 2nd unit can develop that junkyard dog mindset....the NCAA is going to be in trouble. Also, a lot depends on the coaching staff and how deep they want to go with the bench. But a lot depends on the incoming players and the current players and their competitive mindset. But I love the options that could be available next year.

Reaction Score
I believe Amari DeBerry will add length and athleticism to the front court allowing ONO and AE a breather from time to time................I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that if they stay healthy, the back court of Bueckers and Fudd have a good chance of being the best in NCAA WBB history........add the rest of the team to the mix and I think they'll be OK.............:rolleyes:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Women's basketball doesn't produce that many 'bruising' post players - Stanford doesn't have one, AZ didn't have one. With three 6'5" players and a bruising PF in Edwards Uconn has more than enough to match up with anyone. And rebounding is as much commitment as it is size. Griffin and Mir can also be amazing on the glass and often more effective than a true big on the offensive boards as they are harder to 'locate' and box out.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Looking at the elite teams from this season, Most lose important players to graduation with the exception of South Carolina and Connecticut. Both teams bring in some stellar recruits. They to me are the top two. A lot depends on how these new players fit into the existing chemistry.
Maryland returns everyone, NC State may return everyone and apparently bring in Diamond Johnson, Stanford may return everyone depending on what Williams/Wilson do. Indiana/Iowa/Oregon should be potent as well.

Reaction Score
Maryland returns everyone, NC State may return everyone and apparently bring in Diamond Johnson, Stanford may return everyone depending on what Williams/Wilson do. Indiana/Iowa/Oregon should be potent as well.
I'd say UConn, South Carolina, Stanford and NC State would be the top four teams followed by Maryland, Baylor and Louisville

Reaction Score
We needed shooters badly, at least as an option. You could basically help off everyone this year.

What Arizona did defensively was a) use a hard double team on ball screens for Paige to make her give it up and take away the screen and roll and b) switch all off ball screens for Paige, so we couldn’t flash her to the elbow against a trailing defender like we saw a lot this year. And when she was matched up with a forward after an off ball screen, the forward would come out to take away the 3 and everyone else would sink into the paint for help, so Paige didn’t see any driving lanes and was left with only shooting a well-contested three (which is not her thing) or swinging the ball and trying to let someone else attack as her options. Without shooters, there wasn’t any good way to loosen that up.

When we went two bigs this year, we had success against some teams, but it meant had no backups (AG would come in if there was foul trouble, such as the Baylor game). Next year, DeBerry will be a third, although probably would be more likely to come in for ONO (DeBerry and ONO seem more redundant and tougher to play in tandem, but that’s just a guess).

I feel like with all the perimeter firepower we think we have, we will probably use two bigs less often. I am personally intrigued by the shooting/spread offense unit with Fudd and DuCharme on the wing where you can’t help off anyone. Can those two play with Paige and CW and only one big? Rebounding could be an issue, potentially defense too, but trying to guard everyone in that lineup would be a nightmare for opponents. We could run a lot of motion and Paige would end up with driving lanes and shooters all around her, and CW could slash to score and wouldn't see as much help defense. Then you can still have AG coming in for energy, or to guard someone giving us problems.

Domt want to write anyone else off, either. Maybe Mir passes AG in the rotation for that energy/defense role. And maybe Saylor or Anna beats out DuCharme for a wing shooter, and it turns out Caroline is still a year away. And maybe Azzi needs a little more time than we think she will and our two bigs lineup will be better for our offense. Have to give everyone the chance to earn their role.

Theres a lot of possibilities, including giving Paige rests so she doesn’t have to pace herself (even if she doesn’t like it). If Fudd is what we hope, as long as two of the three of CW, PB and are out there, we will have two potent scorers at all times, and hopefully supplemental weapons around them.

Excited to see it play out. I hope we find a way to go 10-11 deep and not feel like we are an ankle sprain or foul trouble away from trouble.

Reaction Score
I never trust Maryland no matter how much talent they have.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
A LOT of jump shooters who play a perimeter game, but not many at all post player & bruisers inside who like physical play. Rebounding will be a question mark still against the top teams. I'm sure we'll roll in the BE again, but remains to be seen if we beat the top teams - all of whom will have both size & depth. UConn title teams of the past were always much more balanced.
Explain your use of the pronoun "we." Your writing doesn't seem like that of a UConn fan.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I never trust Maryland no matter how much talent they have.
That's a valid concern, but the same was true with Mulkey for 6 years and then she put it all together and won her 3rd title. Brenda's gotten to 3 Final Fours and won a title before. I think they'll be dangerous once again, especially if Miller and Reese continue to improve.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Who is the Player that is going to guard the likes of Chelsea Dungee or Aari McDonald? You can say Christyn but she doesn't have the speed/quickness to really control a small quick guard with exceptional ball handling skills. UConn's low post defense was poor when it came to stopping guards from getting to the rim when they get by the primary defender. The Biggest Weakness on the teams (last four) that failed to reach the Championship Game is the inability to stop Quick Guards with Good if not great Ball Handling Skills. I guess you can reverse it and say the biggest weakness of the UConn team is they didn't have a small quick guard that could take over a game when necessary. Christyn was too inconsistent when it came to getting to the Rim, she tended to rely on her jump shot to get points

No the Team is not Doomed. They should be able to get to the Final Four as currently constructed. However, it sure would help if they had more Speed/Quickness at one of the Guard Position.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's hard not to like next year's roster. I would assume that Fudd enters the starting lineup. This would probably occur at Muhl's expense. If E had decided to go into the WNBA Draft, Fudd would have entered the lineup in her space. Instead, it seems to me that she will enter at the 2. There may be games where we go major mintues with Edwards and Ododa on the floor together but, barring injury, I would think that Bueckers, Fudd, Williams, Westbrook and Ododa will be your starters and Muhl, Edwards, DeBerry and Ducharme will be your main subs. It makes my head hurt typing this because that still leaves Griffin, McClean, and Makurat and Poffenbarger as the 10-13. We will see how it all shakes out. It's good to have talent and next year's team certainly has that.

Reaction Score
Women's basketball doesn't produce that many 'bruising' post players - Stanford doesn't have one, AZ didn't have one. With three 6'5" players and a bruising PF in Edwards Uconn has more than enough to match up with anyone. And rebounding is as much commitment as it is size. Griffin and Mir can also be amazing on the glass and often more effective than a true big on the offensive boards as they are harder to 'locate' and box out.
I agree with most of this. I still wish we had a big bruising banger type center (ala Boston), but the key is starting Aaliyah. Yeah if we go small ball again, we will be fine against the Big East and have a serious physical disadvantage against the best teams. Amari can bring height and skills that helps but she is more similar to Liv. I am not that worried about the rebounding because as you mention Aubrey and Mir are both good at that despite their size.

Many have said things like, well maybe against SC or Baylor or Stanford we need to start Aaliyah because of size or physicality. If we need her to start against the best teams, then start her against everybody and get used to that combo. In fact the whole season should be preparing the team for the half dozen or so games that really matter against the best teams. Evina or Anna at PF is not the answer to that in my opinion.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
We needed shooters badly, at least as an option. You could basically help off everyone this year.

What Arizona did defensively was a) use a hard double team on ball screens for Paige to make her give it up and take away the screen and roll and b) switch all off ball screens for Paige, so we couldn’t flash her to the elbow against a trailing defender like we saw a lot this year. And when she was matched up with a forward after an off ball screen, the forward would come out to take away the 3 and everyone else would sink into the paint for help, so Paige didn’t see any driving lanes and was left with only shooting a well-contested three (which is not her thing) or swinging the ball and trying to let someone else attack as her options. Without shooters, there wasn’t any good way to loosen that up.
I think you are on the right track with this analysis. However, your proposed solution to the "lack of shooters" problem did not include Evina. I think that is an error. In her good-shooting games this year (such as Arkansas and Iowa), she shot very well, including from 3. It is just a matter of consistency, which is probably influenced by her injury. I noticed that she seemed to shoot well at the beginning of most games, and then start front-rimming her 3-point attempts later in the game.

Next year, with the ability to manage her minutes and with more time since her surgeries, I think she can become a consistent shooter and a consistent 3-point threat. If she is, that would allow a lineup with two bigs to be on the floor more often.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of this. I still wish we had a big bruising banger type center (ala Boston), but the key is starting Aaliyah. Yeah if we go small ball again, we will be fine against the Big East and have a serious physical disadvantage against the best teams. Amari can bring height and skills that helps but she is more similar to Liv. I am not that worried about the rebounding because as you mention Aubrey and Mir are both good at that despite their size.

Many have said things like, well maybe against SC or Baylor or Stanford we need to start Aaliyah because of size or physicality. If we need her to start against the best teams, then start her against everybody and get used to that combo. In fact the whole season should be preparing the team for the half dozen or so games that really matter against the best teams. Evina or Anna at PF is not the answer to that in my opinion.
Honestly, I like the idea of brining Alliyah off the bench. She is just a game changer off the bench, IMO. She is a future AA, but one that is prone to foul trouble. By not starting her, you get 3-4 minutes at the start of each half with her on the bench where she can't pick up fouls. We made sort of a mini-come back in that second half the other night and I thought Muhl was a catalyst for it. IMO, we need her her grit, intensity, and toughness on the floor to start out games.

Reaction Score
I think you are on the right track with this analysis. However, your proposed solution to the "lack of shooters" problem did not include Evina. I think that is an error. In her good-shooting games this year (such as Arkansas and Iowa), she shot very well, including from 3. It is just a matter of consistency, which is probably influenced by her injury. I noticed that she seemed to shoot well at the beginning of most games, and then start front-rimming her 3-point attempts later in the game.

Next year, with the ability to manage her minutes and with more time since her surgeries, I think she can become a consistent shooter and a consistent 3-point threat. If she is, that would allow a lineup with two bigs to be on the floor more often.
Yes, with Evina coming back and hopefully feeling solid, she can drive more and not be as deferring as has been the case this year. I look for a big year from her and her helping the underclassmen dealing with the college adjustment, kind of a coach on all matters. She is special and a credit to our program.

Reaction Score
What needs to be developed is:

1. A stronger post presence both offensivly and defensively against the top teams- make layups and limit opponents offensive rebounds and help if/when against drivers
2. More balanced scoring options against the top teams- make them pay for concentrating on stopping one player
3. Improved defense against quick penetrating guards and 3 point shooters
4. Make open shots and FT against the top teams

Reaction Score
Much depends, IMO, on how well Caroline and Saylor fit in. If they are one-dimensional, as scorers, then Griffin at least will be useful. But if the two newbies have defensive skills to combine with their offensive talent, neither Aubrey nor Mir will get much court time.
Playing time, as usual, will come to those with the skill, determination, and commitment, but some who played this year will most likely find their time shrunk with the advent of the freshmen.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I have not seen one post that has mentioned Piath, she has one year under her belt with both CD and JE. Her game showed vast improvements from the beginning of the year to how she was playing at the end of the season. She can come in and be a bruiser for a spell, we have the fouls to give inside with her playing some. I know she is considered a project when it comes to her experience in WBB but I think she can be used down low during the Conference games to speed up the learning curve and enhance her capabilities.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This 6' 2" guard won't defend a singularly quick guard, but she is a genuine tall guard who handles the ball well, is fairly quick, and is fond of the NBA 3. I give you Caroline Ducharme:

Reaction Score
I have not seen one post that has mentioned Piath, she has one year under her belt with both CD and JE. Her game showed vast improvements from the beginning of the year to how she was playing at the end of the season. She can come in and be a bruiser for a spell, we have the fouls to give inside with her playing some. I know she is considered a project when it comes to her experience in WBB but I think she can be used down low during the Conference games to speed up the learning curve and enhance her capabilities.
Totally agree though we haven't seen her in any serious difficult playing time to really measure her development. Love her size and mobility, just a new nice NE gal to root for. If the coaches like her development she will get more minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom