We got us a Death Storm... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We got us a Death Storm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The boats keep getting bigger every time he buys a new one. For the current boat, we had to buy a SUV so that he could pull it.
That's why he's dithering. He's hoping it gets wrecked and he can get a bigger one.

Reaction Score
The boats keep getting bigger every time he buys a new one. For the current boat, we had to buy a SUV so that he could pull it.
Tell him to go get his boat then... That way you won't need to buy a hummer when he buys his next boat.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
My husband just told me that the Weather Channel is saying that the storm "will push Long Island sound into NYC". What the hell does that mean?

Technically it is called a "seiche effect".

The wind drives the surface of the water....

When the wind is hard in the NorthEast for a while, it prevents the 1st high tide form exiting Long Island Sound at the eastern end, then it stuffs more water into the sound, and then the next high tide comes in....and Long Island Sound is "pushed" through Throggs Neck, into the East River and into New York City...

Reaction Score
Technically it is called a "seiche effect".

The wind drives the surface of the water....

When the wind is hard in the NorthEast for a while, it prevents the 1st high tide form exiting Long Island Sound at the eastern end, then it stuffs more water into the sound, and then the next high tide comes in....and Long Island Sound is "pushed" through Throggs Neck, into the East River and into New York City...
So, in English it means that lower Manhattan might be ...

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
So, in English it means that lower Manhattan might be ...

Wellll....Not really lower Manhattan, at least not from this effect...

More likely parts of the Bronx, like around Hunt's Point, and areas around LaGuardia airport, some of the islands, like Rikers.....I think at the upper end of Manhattan around Hells Gate (which is where the East River, Harlem River and Long Island Sound all meet) is pretty high land (if I remember correctly)....

If the storm were to go inland around Toms River NJ, then the seiche effect would stuff the water up through the Narrows and slam lower Manhattan, and the area around Coney Island, Kennedy Airport, etc.

(Oh...and kudos for contributing to the swear jar....good extra effort!)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Poke fun at your husband all you want, but you won't be laughing when he drifts by your house on his boat and you're stranded on the roof. We're talkin' death storm here. Like Noah, he's a forward thinker.

Reaction Score
So is there any rule of thumb as to the amount of kw generator to buy? Was debating taking the family to Orlando for a week tomorrow to avoid the whole power outage situation. The CL&P project something like 7-10 days.

Reaction Score
So is there any rule of thumb as to the amount of kw generator to buy? Was debating taking the family to Orlando for a week tomorrow to avoid the whole power outage situation. The CL&P project something like 7-10 days.

You're me.

Reaction Score
My husband just told me that the Weather Channel is saying that the storm "will push Long Island sound into NYC". What the hell does that mean?

It means get out of Brooklyn and areas surrounding LaGuardia. I guess there was a hurricane to come through in 1938 in that area and the results were not desirable.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I'm just happy I'll be moving back to Storrs tonight so I can be away from the coast. I don't know what a Category 1 Hurricane looks like and I don't care to find out.

Reaction Score
This has now crossed the serious line. Stop & Shop is out of toilet paper!!!!

Reaction Score
I live across from the water on a dead-end street with lots of huge, old trees. In the last big storm here, we had no power for five days, my house sustained $28k of damage and the baby seal in my avatar washed up on our beach. And that storm (the no-name hurricane of 3/10) was not even forecast. I am not looking forward to whatever this one will bring.

Reaction Score
10 year lurker here, induced by the new site to finally register. Sitting here on the beach in Woodmont (Milford), drinking a Pina Colada, and watching a glorious sunset. Absolutely convinced that this "Death Storm", like the moon landing, is a mass-media fraud.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
10 year lurker here, induced by the new site to finally register. Sitting here on the beach in Woodmont (Milford), drinking a Pina Colada, and watching a glorious sunset. Absolutely convinced that this "Death Storm", like the moon landing, is a mass-media fraud.
Hey everyone, drinks at Old Dog's place. See you all there.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
This has now crossed the serious line. Stop & Shop is out of toilet paper!!!!
Somehow I feel that post would have been more appropriate has the lead-in been "I you not...."

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I received a phone call from Bobby Valentine warning me to get all necessary shopping out of the way today so i wouldn't need to attempt to leave the house over the weekend and one from CL&P stating that I should assume that all downed power lines are live and dangerous and also assuring me that in the case of a power outage, they will do everything they can to restore power as soon as possible.

The fridge is loaded, the bar is fully stocked, I have plenty of beer (and wine) and my house is pretty well elevated (in the ridges in Stamford). I'm set for a week if necessary.

Reaction Score
This category 365 super hurricane is gonna leave all of new England as apart of the Atlantic Ocean, or at least thats what i heard.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Somehow I feel that post would have been more appropriate has the lead-in been "I darn you not...."
Damnation! Nan finally found the profanity filter.....Shitshitshit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom