We Did the Top Ten Basketball Movies- Now Pick Your Top Ten Sports Movies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We Did the Top Ten Basketball Movies- Now Pick Your Top Ten Sports Movies

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Million dollar baby
Field of dreams
Horse Feathers
Caddyshack
Major league
North Dallas forty
The Babe
Rocky
Jim Thorpe, all-American
Bend it like Beckham

Reaction Score
My List: 1) Hoosiers 2) Field of Dreams 3) Miracle ( took my 6th grade team to see it the day before playing in the league semis against an unbeaten team and crushed them) 4) Rocky 5) Chariots of Fire 6) Glory Road 7) The Hustler 8) Pride of the Yankees 9) A League of their Own 10) We are Marshall.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Shaolin Soccer.

Good call! Such a creative film. What ever happened to Stephen Chow? He was making movies completely unlike anyone else, and then he disappeared.

Reaction Score
Mystery, Alaska is one of our favorites. Really funny movie and kind of "feel good." Check it out if you haven't seen it. Russel Crowe is great in it.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Top ten would be too much of a struggle for me, but I will name two that would be in my top ten but have not seen mentioned yet: Rudy and The Jericho Mile

I would not expect many to cite The Jericho Mile, a made for TV movie about a prison inmate qualifying for the Olympics in track, but I'm surprised Rudy has not been mentioned yet.

I mean, I know Rudy features Notre Dame football, but it's still an inspiring story.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Three that make my Top 10 that I haven't seen yet are Breaking Away, The Cutting Edge and Shaolin Soccer..
I'll give you a like for Breaking Away.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Top ten would be too much of a struggle for me, but I will name two that would be in my top ten but have not seen mentioned yet: Rudy and The Jericho Mile

I would not expect many to cite The Jericho Mile, a made for TV movie about a prison inmate qualifying for the Olympics in track, but I'm surprised Rudy has not been mentioned yet.

I mean, I know Rudy features Notre Dame football, but it's still an inspiring story.
I remember that one. It was pretty good. (not sure if it would make my top 10, but I've seen a lot of sports movies).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think you all have hit most of mine. But I'll add Fever Pitch, the original with Colin Firth (1997).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Does poker count? "Molly's Game" is good. It also includes a bit of skiing so it's a 2 for 1!

As an aside, that's 2 I've mentioned with Kevin Costner. He's had a pretty nice career revival after I think he was blacklisted for a while.

Reaction Score
Above the Rim: Story about a New York high school player who falls in with a bad crowd.

The St. Tammany Miracle: The film focuses on the basketball team of an Episcopalian all-girl high school, where they try to make a name, despite only a little funding. The team's new female coach soon realizes she will have to work very hard if she wants the team to become a success.

Eddie : Whoopi Goldberg as a New York Knicks fan who becomes their head coach.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score

The Natural
Downhill Racer
The Hustler
The Color of Money
Searching for Bobby Fischer —I know chess isn't a sport, but I've seen this movie so many times I could write the screenplay from memory.

Reaction Score
All of the above plus Winning, Slap Shot,Remeber the Titans. Bull Durham and Miracle .

Reaction Score
Major League
Miracle
Tin Cup
Rocky
Hoosiers
The Natural
Victory
The Rookie
Moneyball
Blue Chips

Reaction Score
Does poker count? "Molly's Game" is good. It also includes a bit of skiing so it's a 2 for 1!

As an aside, that's 2 I've mentioned with Kevin Costner. He's had a pretty nice career revival after I think he was blacklisted for a while.

If poker counts, Rounders.

Reaction Score
I'd go with 1-The Natural, 2-Rocky, 3-Hoosiers, 4-Warrior, 5-Seabiscuit, 6-Caddyshack, 7-Field of Dreams, 8-Creed, 9-The Greatest Game Ever Played and 10-Glory Road

There is also a movie called Diggstown that I love.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Good movies that I forgot about keep popping up. Well done everyone!

Reaction Score
I forgot Miracle. I just watched it too. Russell deserved a nom for that. You go in knowing most of the story and it is still captivating. I think Mystery, Alaska is also a pretty good flick.
I guess I forgot about hockey altogether. Slap Shot was a little before my time. Another hockey movie I really enjoyed was Goon.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think we might need separate lists for sports comedies and sports dramas.

"Snatch" contained quite a bit of bare knuckle boxing, so it's a sports movie right? :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom