"We can't afford to have conference affiliation governed by emotion." | The Boneyard

"We can't afford to have conference affiliation governed by emotion."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Joe Schad reporting that FSU President comes out w/ memo on pro's/con's:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-eric-barron-outlines-pros-cons-acc-alignment

Florida State president Dr. Eric Barron has written a memo that includes four key points that would support a move from the ACC to the Big 12 and seven longer key points that argue against it.
The memo seems to be an argument by Barron, who has stated the school is "committed" to the ACC, to stay.

In the memo, Barron includes reasons for moving that include "The ACC is too North Carolina centric" and "The Big 12 contract (which actually isn't signed yet) is rumored to be 2.9 M more per year than the ACC contract."

In the memo, Baron includes more reasons for not moving that include "The ACC is an equal share conference."So when fans realize that Texas would get more dollars than FSU, always having a competitive advantage, it would be interesting to see the fan reaction" and "We would lose the rivalry with University of Miami that does fill our stadium."

And "It will cost between $20M and $25M to leave the ACC and we have no idea where that money would come from." And "The faculty are adamantly opposed to joining a league that is academically weaker."
Barron writes, "We can't afford to have conference affiliation governed by emotion."

Reaction Score
from the WVU board of course...this is his automated email the poster reported

I want to assure you that any decision made about FSU athletics will bereasoned and thoughtful and based on athletics, finances and academics.Allow me to provide you with some of the issues we are facing:In support of a move are four basic factors argued by many alumni:

1. The ACC is more basketball than it is football, and many of our alumniview us as more football oriented than the ACC
2. The ACC is too North Carolina centric and the contract advantagesbasketball and hence advantages the North Carolina schools
3. The Big 12 has some big football schools that match up with FSU
4. The Big 12 contract (which actually isn't signed yet) is rumored to be$2.9M more per year than the ACC contract. We need this money to becompetitive.

But, in contrast:
1. The information presented about the ACC contract that initiated theblogosphere discussion was not correct. The ACC is an equal shareconference and this applies to football and to basketball there is nopreferential treatment of any university with the exception of 3rd tierrights for women's basketball and Olympic sports. FSU is advantaged bythat aspect of the contract over the majority of other ACC schools.
2. Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M left the Big 12, at least inpart because the Big 12 is not an equal share conference. Texas hasconsiderably more resource avenues and gains a larger share (and I saythis as a former dean of the University of Texas at Austin - I watched theBig 12 disintegration with interest). So, when fans realize that Texaswould get more dollars than FSU, always having a competitive advantage, itwould be interesting to see the fan reaction.
3. Much is being made of the extra $2.9M that the Big 12 contract (whichhasn't been inked yet) gets over the ACC contract. Given that the Texasschools are expected to play each other (the Big 12 is at least as Texascentered than the ACC is North Carolina centered), the most likelyscenario has FSU playing Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, and WestVirginia on a recurring basis and the other teams sporadically (and onemore unnamed team has to join to allow the Big 12 to regain a championshipgame), we realize that our sports teams can no longer travel by bus tomost games the estimate is that the travel by plane required by FSU tobe in the Big 12 appears to exceed the $2.9M difference in the contract actually giving us fewer dollars than we have now to be competitive withthe Big 12 teams, who obviously do not have to travel as far. Anyrenegotiated amount depends not just on FSU but the caliber of any othernew team to the Big 12.
4. Few believe that the above teams will fill our stadium with fans ofthese teams and so our lack of sales and ticket revenue would continue.
5. We would lose the rivalry with University of Miami that does fill ourstadium
6. It will cost between $20M and $25M to leave the ACC we have no ideawhere that money would come from. It would have to come from the Boosterswhich currently are unable to support our current University athleticbudget, hence the 2% cut in that budget.
7. The faculty are adamantly opposed to joining a league that isacademically weaker and in fact, many of them resent the fact that a 2%($2.4M) deficit in the athletics budget receives so much attention fromconcerned Seminoles, but the loss of 25% of the academic budget (105M)gets none when it is the most critical concern of this University in terms of its successful future.

I present these issues to you so that you realize that this is not so simple (not to mention that negotiations aren't even taking place). One of the few wise comments made in the blogosphere is that no one negotiatestheir future in the media. We can't afford to have conference affiliationbe governed by emotion it has to be based on a careful assessment ofathletics, finances and academics. I assure you that every aspect ofconference affiliation will be looked at by this institution, but it mustbe a reasoned decision.
Eric Barron
President

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
so we went from the b12 doesn't exist to us to now were telling our alums were doing a pros and cons all within 3 days, not to mention the past 2 of those 3 days fsu is supose to be in meeting with the rest of the acc teams.

Reaction Score
I find something ironic about thinking the Big 12 is better by complaining the ACC is too North Carolina-centric. Did no one ask A&M, Colorado, Missouri, or Nebraska how Texas-centric the Big 12 is?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I find something ironic about thinking the Big 12 is better by complaining the ACC is too North Carolina-centric. Did no one ask A&M, Colorado, Missouri, or Nebraska how Texas-centric the Big 12 is?
thats there excuse for texas making alot more money on the LHN. those schools moved and each got more money at the time, thats why they moved and why it made sense for them. just how were seeing fsu and crew no going thru the motions. now the b12 contract is up to date $$ wise. would u rather have texas be thinking fball all day or unc/duke bball all day running the show?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It's good you sent out Barron's post. He sent out a similar one to Boosters in early 2011 when the SEC rumors were hot and heavy

His ponts then (and no I can't confirm it was legit):

ACC is a loyal partner (allusion to prior scandals). Why burn bridges?
Only Football supports the move. Other sports believe that success and visibility is better in the ACC
Research Dollars: the loss of one major research contract dwarfs the football revenue. Academics oppose the move. (unsaid was Barron's head would roll if this blew up in his face)

Reaction Score
FSU could get the twenty million from alums quite easily.

Reaction Score
How about the shot he takes @ the boosters when talking about conference exit fees - " It would have to come from the Boosters which currently are unable to support our current University athletic budget, hence the 2% cut in that budget."

This is going to get ugly fast...

Reaction Score
thats there excuse for texas making alot more money on the LHN. those schools moved and each got more money at the time, thats why they moved and why it made sense for them. just how were seeing fsu and crew no going thru the motions. now the b12 contract is up to date $$ wise. would u rather have texas be thinking fball all day or unc/duke bball all day running the show?

That's all most entirely false. When Colorado left, there was no guarantee they'd make more money than the existing Big 12 (particualy since the Pac-12 is actually weaker than the ACC content wise). And current SEC teams are not making more than the Big 12. Virtually none of the maneuvering was to "make more money". And overwhelming majority of it was to get away from Texas and the instability of theBig 12. The other conceferences (Pac 12, Big 10, SEC) would at least be in the same ballpark financially to make the money largely irrelevant.

I don't think it matters what the schools are thinking as much as it matters that there is inequality. Even if the ACC is basketball centric (sports wise it cleary is, but management wise I don't see it), what actions did they do to hurt the ACC? Adding basketball schools like Miami and Virginia Tech? Oh wait...

Reaction Score
How about the shot he takes @ the boosters when talking about conference exit fees - " It would have to come from the Boosters which currently are unable to support our current University athletic budget, hence the 2% cut in that budget."

This is going to get ugly fast...

I've thought this whole discussion is silly. I must say, however, that that line sounds like a bitter executive who thinks he might have already lost control of a situation.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
Can't see why Barron would send out a memo like this. IMO, just adds fuel to the fire.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It's an interesting read, sort of a preliminary analysis ahead of a more complete report that w0uld come out of a committee charged with evaluating/advising whether FSU should change conferences. The fact that it was public, instead of sent to donors or something, means the prez thinks he has to do damage control on the PR front. The line about not negotiating through the media was a good one but will probably fall on deaf ears, how funny would it be if FSU winds up joining the B12 because of fan/alumni pressure but wind up with a net loss, or even a small net gain. Also have to think the school would be in a much stronger position if their football team had been able to win some more championships over the past decade instead of sliding into averageness.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's good you sent out Barron's post. He sent out a similar one to Boosters in early 2011 when the SEC rumors were hot and heavy.....

Here is the potential difference....

The SEC will never, ever, ever, never, ever invite Florida State and Florida State knows it. The Big 12, on the other hand, very well might.

The fact that this most recent memo even exists dials the anxiety level of the ACC up to about an 8.

Reaction Score
If this is in fact accurate, it means that the President is being pushed pretty hard on this issue by the board of Trustees,and most likely the boosters. He's trying ot hold his ground, but in my experience at least, when you have to right that type of memo, you are trying to fight back against the tide and give your side something to hang on to in hopes they'll rally... but as bl said, you've most likely lost control already.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Barron had some bargaining room when he shut down the football boosters in early 2011. The B 12 was a mess and the SEC was still playing behind the scenes with Missouri and Texas AM. Things were too unsettled.

Since then the FSU football Boosters got their ducks in order for Round II. This smells like the Texas A&M thing. It won't go away easily.

Reaction Score
I believe that he definitely is under the gun from Trustees and Alumni. This was a defensive move by someone who is trying to gain back control of a spiraling situation. He's getting pressure to make a move, but it doesn't seem (or I haven't seen anything published) that anyone has his back.Obviously, the football future in the new-ACC looks bleak to FSU, but the Big XII may be offering an equally bleak situation. Four of their schools have left because of UT, and one Texas-A&M was its biggest rival!
Barron said that while a Dean at Texas he watched with interest the disintegration of the Big XII. Now he may be watching FSU get right into the middle of it. This doesn't sound like a school president begging for acceptance into the Big XII!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Does the following scenario seem like a possibility to anyone else?

So the Big12 adds FSU and Clemson to get to 12 teams:
Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, West Virginia, Florida State, Clemson

ACC adds UConn and Rutgers to get back to 14 teams:
Boston College, Pitt, Syracuse, Maryland, Virginia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Duke, Wake, Miami, Georgia Tech, UConn, Rutgers

I think Big East splits and a 12 team all sports conference is formed with:
Louisville, Cincy, Temple, UCF, USF, Memphis, SMU, Houston, Tulsa(?), East Carolina (?), Southern Miss (?), UAB (?)

Big East hoops adds 4 teams from the A-10 to get to 12:
Georgetown, Villanova, Notre Dame, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Providence, Marquette, Depaul, St. Josephs(?), Xavier (?), Dayton (?), Butler (?)

SEC, B1G, Pac12 are unaffected.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Does the following scenario seem like a possibility to anyone else?

I think Big East splits and a 12 team all sports conference is formed with:
Louisville, Cincy, Temple, UCF, USF, Memphis, SMU, Houston, Tulsa(?), East Carolina (?), Southern Miss (?), UAB (?)

I can't see this happening....I think Louisville is in the best position when it comes to the next step. They have a fantastic direction for their athletic department, great facilities, a legend as coach in bball and a rising star in football. I just can't see them being left out of the realignment puzzle. I think, in the end, they end up in the Big 12. Even if these FSU/Clemson rumors come true, I still see the Big 12 grabbing Louisville and another school (BYU?) to make 14. If they don't grab them, someone will (ACC?) They're too big of a fish to be left out. Similar to UConn (but that's my bias speaking).

The other parts I could see happening. However, I can't see the B1G staying at 12 forever....

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Louisville might wind up in the B12, but they won't get invited to the ACC. I think...

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Louisville might wind up in the B12, but they won't get invited to the ACC. I think...

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I think that depends. If the ACC lost FSU and Clemson and the Carolina schools want to go all in on basketball, Louisville makes a lot more sense than Rutgers.

Of course that assumes the Carolinas and Virginias don't get wandering eyes, because the Big 10 could certainly use some improved demographics.

Reaction Score
Louisville is going nowhere it's a pitiful academic institution. No one wants to be associated with them. You hear less about them-further proof they're not a clear option. B12 is looking past them and Cinci hoping to land bigger fishes. ACC past on West Virginia for the same reason.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Louisville is going nowhere it's a pitiful academic institution. No one wants to be associated with them. You hear less about them-further proof they're not a clear option. B12 is looking past them and Cinci hoping to land bigger fishes. ACC past on West Virginia for the same reason.

When you are in a league with Memphis it's tough to look down your nose at Louisville.

Reaction Score
U can thank the Providence Mafia and Tranghese for that one. Poor oversight and an unclear clear vision for the future of the league have us rooted in this cesspool. Tranghese swallowed his fees wiped his hands and has moved on. I hope he doesn't claim Memphis as another one of his foregone achievements

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Well if the recent quote from Mikey T is correct, he was ready for the football schools to split, and Marinatto came up with the plan to land USF, Cincy, UL and Marquette. At the time it was a survival move, but as we know it wound up being inadequate. I think the one thing that would have helped would be if the TV contract were to end a a few years earlier, so that the BE would be renegotiating before all of the realignment craziness. Then adding TCU or maybe poaching an ACC team would have stabilized things. Alas we're left in CUSA 2.o or an ACC that will look like the old Big East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom