We are worse than last year. | The Boneyard

We are worse than last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
So apparently, we went from "colossally bad" to..."unbelievably, inexplicably bad"!

We just lost to a team today that was struggling to properly perform the "victory formation". I'm not kidding. They were literally chalking up penalties and timeouts during the last minute of play because they couldn't properly set up a max-protect formation to let the clock expire. I don't even have the words for it...

Reaction Score
So apparently, we went from "colossally bad" to..."unbelievably, inexplicably bad"!

We just lost to a team today that was struggling to properly perform the "victory formation". I'm not kidding. They were literally chalking up penalties and timeouts during the last minute of play because they couldn't properly set up a max-protect formation to let the clock expire. I don't even have the words for it...

I swear on my kids, I thought the same exact thing walking out. Just a fitting way to close the season.

Reaction Score
Nothing improved since the Stony Brook Game.....NOTHING !!!!!!

IMO Diaco is on the clock starting NOW !!!!

Reaction Score
If I didn't know better, I would have thought that the inability to get into victory formation was just trying to rub UCONN's nose in it. But then I realized it was SMU and a lot of that team had not been in that formation before. Until today that is.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem at this point is if the team wins a few more games next year. If they go 4-8 or 5-7, it may given Manuel the false illusion of a trend.

This staff will never bring UConn football to where it needs to be in this conference.

Reaction Score
1. An F for the staff for this year is fair. But thinking you've learned about what they can accomplish with time is just not correct or fair.

2. How can anyone think SMU could run a victory formaion? They had never been in one and probably never even practiced it.

3. We were a worse team than last year. Much worse. But that was not just coaching -- our personnel was worse. We lost in a moment a QB that could play. We lost Brown and Phillips, two starters, to BC for strange reasons. We lost McCombs to discipline. And we lost our two best Sr. defensive starters -- Pruit and more importantly Jones -- for most of the season. This all before realizing that the class of Edsall recruits we lost was far better than the P recruits growing up to replace them.

A long 241 tomorrow, but one thought to add to the misery -- could we be allowed decent weather? The home game against Cincy was in the high 30s and kicked off as the sun was setting. And that was the median game in terms of weather because Stony Brook, UCF and today were far far worse. Give us a break.

Reaction Score
Nothing improved since the Stony Brook Game.....NOTHING !!!!!!

IMO Diaco is on the clock starting NOW !!!!

I'm sure Coach Diaco is shaking in his Bruno Magli's after reading that last line.

Reaction Score
Yes Bob Diaco.
We are worse, than it was under the program you so very much said was so rotten.

You suck, Bob Diaco, in your first season as head coach.

You better get better.

I love that last line. I have to ask, or what Carl?

Reaction Score
1. An F for the staff for this year is fair. But thinking you've learned about what they can accomplish with time is just not correct or fair.

2. How can anyone think SMU could run a victory formaion? They had never been in one and probably never even practiced it.

3. We were a worse team than last year. Much worse. But that was not just coaching -- our personnel was worse. We lost in a moment a QB that could play. We lost Brown and Phillips, two starters, to BC for strange reasons. We lost McCombs to discipline. And we lost our two best Sr. defensive starters -- Pruit and more importantly Jones -- for most of the season. This all before realizing that the class of Edsall recruits we lost was far better than the P recruits growing up to replace them.

A long 241 tomorrow, but one thought to add to the misery -- could we be allowed decent weather? The home game against Cincy was in the high 30s and kicked off as the sun was setting. And that was the median game in terms of weather because Stony Brook, UCF and today were far far worse. Give us a break.

Not on a single point can I disagree. This program is a disaster.

Reaction Score
Do you really need an answer? I guess you do. Look at the bleachers yesterday. Look at our conference money stream. A losing football program will suck this athletic program dry.
Were all hurting, it just sounded like you were offering a knuckle sandwhich.

Reaction Score
Of course you're worst than last year there's worst players on the roster! So obvious as the last 3 years wore down there was less talent ever year and less speed every year. Who's that on?

Having said that, nothing has been done to shed any light on how good this staff is they brought in. I was supportive of Diaco and staff up until a couple weeks ago but these last few have been beyond questionable as to how these games were handled. They do seem clueless so I will agree with those who believe there may have been a heck of a sales job by the HCBD. He has a lot to prove and really fast next year. And while they made the right move throwing Boyle in he did nothing to elevate his status for the future. Although the play calling is also beyond atrocious, he doesn't possess that fire back there in a leader nor the creativity a real good QB needs.

Tough road ahead but man, what a step back for a program who needed to just step forward a little!

Reaction Score
Were all hurting, it just sounded like you were offering a knuckle sandwhich.

No need to. The guy has been to Rentschler as a coach, when it was at it's best as a venue for a winning program, and he's seen glimpses of what it can be early this season - pale in comparision, glimpses.

When he looked into the stands on Saturday afternoon, that should have been plenty of knuckle sandwich.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
one thought to add to the misery -- could we be allowed decent weather? The home game against Cincy was in the high 30s and kicked off as the sun was setting. And that was the median game in terms of weather because Stony Brook, UCF and today were far far worse. Give us a break.

When it rains it pours. Or sleets.

Reaction Score
Of course you're worst than last year there's worst players on the roster! So obvious as the last 3 years wore down there was less talent ever year and less speed every year. Who's that on?

Having said that, nothing has been done to shed any light on how good this staff is they brought in. I was supportive of Diaco and staff up until a couple weeks ago but these last few have been beyond questionable as to how these games were handled. They do seem clueless so I will agree with those who believe there may have been a heck of a sales job by the HCBD. He has a lot to prove and really fast next year. And while they made the right move throwing Boyle in he did nothing to elevate his status for the future. Although the play calling is also beyond atrocious, he doesn't possess that fire back there in a leader nor the creativity a real good QB needs.

Tough road ahead but man, what a step back for a program who needed to just step forward a little!

Until you got to boyle, 1 million per cent dead on.

There has never been a reason to think Boyle was the QB of the future based on his play prior to the last two games. Playing him was absolutely not the right thing to do.

Reaction Score

Should have built that domed stadium when Rowland had the $$ flowing.

Reaction Score
Diaco and company deserve blame for what went on, but depth was clearly a problem as the season carried on and only so much can be done. Do I expect this team to jump to conference champions next year? No, but I have faith that Diaco will bring in enough with his first full recruiting class to help some of the depth issues. Maybe I'm an optimist or just got my blue colored glasses on, but I fully believe that next year with a QB that will actually be able to do something and a line that looks to be vastly improved, that this team will be able to stay in every game.

I have a legitimate question. What will it take next year for everyone to buy into what Diaco is doing? Is it absolutely a must to make it to a bowl game? Or would a 4-8 or 5-7 record but staying competitive in every game be acceptable?

Reaction Score
Until you got to boyle, 1 million per cent dead on.

There has never been a reason to think Boyle was the QB of the future based on his play prior to the last two games. Playing him was absolutely not the right thing to do.

I know, I know - it was better to stay with a guy who was a senior and would've won exactly the same amount of games after he stared - zero. He was bad, they are bad. You need to at least take a look at the future and it was most definitely the right thing to do. This was not Dan O they had as a senior it was a guy who ran out of the pocket as soon as it was formed and threw a weak ball. At least Boyle hung around a little.

Just to note for both Qb the play calling was atrocious. If that stiff is the future in play calling I have no hope for this staff at all. Make that move NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom