We Are What we Are | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We Are What we Are

Reaction Score
After the disastrous performance of the team against Georgia Tech in the immediate aftermath of the Bueckers injury, I drafted a rant on the performance, but held off and then decided not to send it. A wise move because the Huskies played a lot better against UCLA.

So far as many Boneyarders are concerned, the two real positives of the game were the play of Dorka Juhász and Caroline Ducharme. Dorka showed a lot of strength around the basket and one 3-pointer. She moves well and takes the ball immediately to the hoop after a pass or rebound in a 16 points and 16 rebounds game. No double clutching or bringing the ball to the floor first. Ducharme shows a great deal of potential. She only shot 4-13, but hit two 3-pointers, nailed her free throws, and showed an ability to drive to the basket. Her shots were not really falling, but she has good moves, more quickness than I anticipated, and appears to have the ability to get her own shot. Both Dorka and Caroline will be getting plenty of minutes in the next few games and we can expect them to continue to improve.

With regard to the other healthy players, ONO has exhibited a lot more toughness than in the past and she is holding her weight as is the new point guard Evina Westbrook who is playing her best ball in a UConn uniform. Edwards continues to puzzle and Williams will be what she always has been, good games and bad games with too many turnovers and missed shots. Hopefully, DeBarry will continue to get minutes because she has played well in the limited time she has on the court.

This is the team we have until our wounded return. Who knows if Griffin will be able to log meaningful minutes this season with her ongoing back troubles. The best we can expect with Bueckers is a mid-February return, provided she is completely healthy. If she is ready by the Big East Tournament, that will be o.k. We can hope that Nika Mühl and Azzi Fudd might be ready to play for the first post-Christmas matchup against a decent Marquette team, but there are no certainties when it comes to recovering from injuries. From my perspective, Nika is the more important because she can run the point and reduce pressure on Evina Westbrook to have to do everything.

I was not surprised that Mir McLean decided to transfer, but wish she had held out until the end of the season. Our vaunted depth and belief that our second five was a top 15 team have proven false, but who would have expected that a team of 14 would now be down to 8. The Louisville game on Sunday will be a big test against a quality top 10 opponent. Here’s hoping.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Right now we cant worry about losing. We need to get the kids who are playing up to speed so that when Nika and Azzi get back we will be dangerous again. For the immediate future when Nika and Azzi get back and up to their potential we gonna be very very good. When Paige gets back we will be imo better then any team in WCCB including SC The problem with any team is not having a good point guard and not having good guards who can run the team. We have that and for the most part Evina is filling in. Paige and Azzi are out for now and if Caroline can slow down because imo shes moving to fast we will force teams to get out of their zone defense. Im dreaming about Paige Azzi Evina and Caroline knocking down outside shots and when they get hot OMG are we gonna put up points. Im excited just thinking about it. We now have height and Dorka and Liv have shown great improvement and Deberry is getting minutes. The next couple of weeks are getting us ready for our wounded to return and thats gonna be really exciting to watch.

Reaction Score
Barring a fluke game, I don't see anyone knocking off S.Carolina this season.Team of destiny?
They are like Oregon was in 2019-2020.
They were the only team to beat Team USA.
If the NCAA Tourney would have happened that year, I believe they would have come away with the trophy.
Bet nobody in the BY enjoys hearing this. I don't enjoy saying it either.
HOWEVER...
If everybody (especially Paige) comes back healthy by March...
If Evina can stay as healthy and focused as she is now...
If Caroline, Azzi and Amari mature and realize their potential...
If Nika and AE return to their "Dynamic Duo" form...
If Dorka can continue on the path she started to tread against UCLA...
If this is the REAL Liv....
If Christyn can have as much faith in herself as we do (we have SEEN what she's capable of, maybe she hasn't)...
Then the Final Game in April just might be something for the ages.

Reaction Score
Barring a fluke game, I don't see anyone knocking off S.Carolina this season.Team of destiny?
If the NCAA Tourney would have happened that year, I believe they would have come away with the trophy.
HOWEVER...
If Christyn can have as much faith in herself as we do (we have SEEN what she's capable of, maybe she hasn't)...

If all these things happen then it would mean UCONN wins in a rout. Just at a very basic level - if Azzi "reaches her potential" it is that of being "Paige." If she is "near Paige" it would mean not only can't SC take advantage of her defense, it would mean less minutes for UConn’s guards to wear down and it would mean both Paige and Azzi are making their teammates better with two superstars on the court. – If the others all individually do as you say then Paige and Azzi would only make them better.

I’m skeptical now with all the injuries but no way counting UCONN out. I believe in cohesion to an extent and as a result I’m skeptical wiht all that is going on– but hopeful. But if all this happens with what you’re saying – then no one has a chance.

Reaction Score
HOWEVER...

Oregon the "team of destiny" for the 2019-20 season? Didn't South Carolina "win" the championship that year? I mean, they have a banner and everything. :rolleyes:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If UConn is at 100% then I dont SC beating us. 100% means healthy, and able to play 100%. JMO but Paige is the best player in the country and Boston is second to her. If Azzi is as good or better then Paige then Boston is 3 behind Azzi. UConn has more and better shooters and scorers then SC and UConns bigs may not be as good as Boston but they can do a pretty good job against her in March/April UConn when healthy has just to many kids that can put up alot of points and thats tuff to defend. One other point. SC and Stanford do not have point guards that are point guards. UConn does.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
We are what we are, but we can be better!

Reaction Score
If UConn is at 100% then I dont SC beating us. 100% means healthy, and able to play 100%. JMO but Paige is the best player in the country and Boston is second to her. If Azzi is as good or better then Paige then Boston is 3 behind Azzi. UConn has more and better shooters and scorers then SC and UConns bigs may not be as good as Boston but they can do a pretty good job against her in March/April UConn when healthy has just to many kids that can put up alot of points and thats tuff to defend. One other point. SC and Stanford do not have point guards that are point guards. UConn does.
Didn't SC already beat us with Paige and Azzi? And you think Boston is behind Azzi? Boston is probably the favorite for POY while Azzi has like 30 points as we approach the season's halfway point.

Reaction Score
I don’t get why people are anticipating Azzi to be ‘as good or better’ than Paige. A lot of the media said that when she committed to UConn. Has she done anything to indicate that it’s true? I know you can’t really tell because she’s injured but I thought she was mostly known for just being a great shooter in HS

Reaction Score
I don’t get why people are anticipating Azzi to be ‘as good or better’ than Paige. A lot of the media said that when she committed to UConn. Has she done anything to indicate that it’s true? I know you can’t really tell because she’s injured but I thought she was mostly known for just being a great shooter in HS
There was a lot of hype around Azzi during her high school years.

Reaction Score
Didn't SC already beat us with Paige and Azzi? And you think Boston is behind Azzi? Boston is probably the favorite for POY while Azzi has like 30 points as we approach the season's halfway point.

They didn't beat UCONN with a healthy Azzi.
And more than likely not a healthy Nika. Nika played 3 minutes?
And they beat UCONN with no Griffin.

Note that Tony is saying IF 100%.

I doubt UCONN will ever be 100% this year nor could I see them as a favorite looking at long view at the moment. For that, I'm with you.

And let's not pretend that Azzi is some inconsequential player. UCONN probably doesn't beat USF if not for her. 18 points in her 3rd overall game probably playing hurt and hasn't played much in 2 years is pretty darn good.

Reaction Score
I don't see how anyone could project Uconn to be better than SC at any point in this season. Can they be beaten? Of course, but it will take an outstanding effort and the stars will have to be aligned. Houston beat UCLA when Jabbar was Lew Alcindor in college so anything is possible but it will take a lot for that to happen. We did just get crunched by over 15 just a few weeks ago. As with the NBA though a team can lose by 30 one night and come back and win the next. The most impressive thing about SC is that they really haven't been pushed that hard yet by anyone, and they have played a lot of top teams already. Maryland and Duke gave them good games but with Duke, they started with a 17-3 lead folks and took their foot off the pedal. If you play Boston 22 minutes MAYBE you can stay with them but they can always roll Boston out there if they need her and she is probably a more valuable player than Paige, as much as we all love Paige. Boston is better than last year. a 10% improvement in her speed up the court. She's blocking more shots and rebounding like crazy. She's very efficient on offense as well. No doubt Paige was having a crazy good year also before she got hurt. We can't count on that when she comes back though. If we win, it will be probably be several of our players having great games.

Reaction Score
A lot of interesting things in this thread. Losing Paige is just crushing. It is what it is. I will consider this a successful season if they just get to the tournament and win a game or two. I just don't see them getting past the sweet 16. Very highly doubtful. I'm hopeful, but doubt it.

South Carolina is probably the best rebounding team, well, ever. That's why, and only why, they're undefeated. IF a strong defensive team can come within 10% of them in rebounds, they will fall. Their offense struggles quite a bit at times. Even Dawn said they're a work in progress.

Reaction Score
Oregon the "team of destiny" for the 2019-20 season? Didn't South Carolina "win" the championship that year? I mean, they have a banner and everything. :rolleyes:
Actually, there was no NCAA tourney in April of 2020 (COVID)
There was no NC that year, but The Ducks, with Sabrina I. seemed to be the tam to beat.
Of course you can never know for sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom