We are telegraphing so many plays | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We are telegraphing so many plays

Reaction Score
Rob I just watched the Franklin post game presser and it was nothing like Edsall's. Absolutely incomparable. Edsall was beat down....Franklin was not at all beat down.
He did sound like Diaco though ;)

Reaction Score
There hasn’t been a single piece of evidence this season that there is any reason to believe things are going to ever get better.

Literally nothing.

Here's is the evidence Sherlock, it's really not that difficult, Freshman become Sophomores and Sophomores become Juniors and Juniors become Seniors. This is the simple, easy to understand formula that has improved many football programs.

Reaction Score
Franklin was taking responsibility for the calling a bad play on 4th and 5 in 1 game.

Randy was doing it for presiding over the worst team in the nation

Not exactly the same

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Here's is the evidence Sherlock, it's really not that difficult, Freshman become Sophomores and Sophomores become Juniors and Juniors become Seniors. This is the simple, easy to understand formula that has improved many football programs.

Lol sure thing. seriously get a clue. Did you miss all the upperclassmen who didn’t score for 58 minutes btw?

Reaction Score

Not to be argumentative here, but we have some of those 3rd 4th and 5th year players on our current roster. It doesn't always work that way. I'm not saying you're wrong, but we can't bank on that progression fixing our problems.

And yes, i know that those guys are Diaco's...but 2 years under Randy's expert tutelage should have already made some sort of difference. Given how bad we are with the guys on the field, and the fact that those guys are either gone, or buried on the depth chart....it looks like it hasn't.

Reaction Score
Polite my rectum. It's bad enough that he cried "not my fault" already. These are his guys. They may suck but they should at least play 4 quarters. They don't. That's on him.

Reaction Score
Lol sure thing. seriously get a clue. Did you miss all the upperclassmen who didn’t score for 58 minutes btw?

I admit that our current QB is not a good passer (takes too long to make decisions) and against teams that can really stop the run we are screwed. We need to find a QB for next year. Our two Frosh QB 's have talent but I hope Edsall tries to find another Lorenzen for next year (JUCO or transfer QB) to compete for the job.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

The entire offensive line just had a full off season in the Edsall strength and conditioning program. Where is the improvement? Pindell - when he has his legs - has done most of the work running for his life. Yesterday Cincy repeatedly was able to clog up Pindell's throwing lanes by collapsing the pocket from up the center. Syracuse shredded our OT last week. Boise had their way with us. The only game we matched up well against was URI.

I wanted to believe that all these lumps and bruises for the underclassman will translate into wins in the back end of 2019 and into 2020 and 2021 as much as anyone. However, thats assuming the right kids stick around and its also assuming the underlying talent is really there. Its not a given that kids get better in a meaningful way with reps and years. Just look at the few good players we have had over the past decade, very few were materially better as seniors vs their sophomore year.

Reaction Score
Not to be argumentative here, but we have some of those 3rd 4th and 5th year players on our current roster. It doesn't always work that way. I'm not saying you're wrong, but we can't bank on that progression fixing our problems.

And yes, i know that those guys are Diaco's...but 2 years under Randy's expert tutelage should have already made some sort of difference. Given how bad we are with the guys on the field, and the fact that those guys are either gone, or buried on the depth chart....it looks like it hasn't.

Please name the upperclassmen recruits not playing that you think would make a difference. I have looked at the roster and I can't find them.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Are you saying there were no parallels??? I said that they both said "a lot of the same things". Learn from that, exit moron.
Yeah - in Rob's bubble, Franklin and Edsall are the same boat. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
[QUO Just look at the few good players we have had over the past decade, very few were materially better as seniors vs their sophomore year.[/QUOTE]

Come on man, that is simply not true. I can probably list 100 players who made big improvements but i'm not going to waste my time.

Reaction Score
Team played hard and with some game luck with a few minutes left in the 1st half were driving for a tie. Poor offensive play calling, bad kick, then stupid defensive scheme with 57 seconds to go in half gives up chunk yardage and score. So instead of 14-14 its 21-7.
I saw the defensive players going to cover Cincinnati WR after one of big gain plays and they looked at each other "huh, why are we playing this weak ass zone defense where we give up exactly this type of play for this type of yardage, these coaches give us no chance to win."

HCRE2.0 is pretty close to losing this team, need to get through these next 2 games without an implosion.

There is something wrong with how Pindell is being used in terms of putting more pressure on defense. He can run but seems like opponent defense isn't paying any price for keying on him as by doing so they also kill any other running plays and aren't worried about passes. Why was that USF kid from a few years back so effective every game, he was no great passer either? Pitch plays and designed option runs should work for UConn, why don't they run/work? Lot of defensive man to man, why aren't pick plays and slants open?

Talent is definitely an issue, game luck and hard work can keep UConn in a game as the 1st 29 minutes of this game showed. Coaching is also an issue. As you said HCRE2.0, it's all on you.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He did sound like Diaco though ;)

Yeah, that call was horri-bad. OSU stuffed nearly every tailback run. The WR did drop a few previous 3rd/4th down passes but you have to pass there with the QB scramble option. I think OSU baited that run call with it's formation and PSU panicked at the like and audibled to that run.

Franklin is correct that PSU should be been up by a lot more.

Reaction Score
Here's just a few things we are giving away pre-snap:

- Every time Z. Scott comes in, it's a PASS
- Every time we go 5 WR, empty backfield, it's a QB draw (even the announcers pointed this out pre-snap)
- When peart has his hand on the ground (3 point), it's a run
- When peart has both hands up (2 point), it's a pass

I know we have a billion freshmen (the announcers only mentioned it 80 times...i wonder where they heard it), and i know we are short, fat, skinny, slow, young, ugly, and our mothers are stupid....but we really don't have to make it so damn easy for the other team to make us look even worse than we are.

At some point i will look at the defense too...i can only imagine what we are tipping there.

P.S. I may have missed a play or 2 that skew my notes, but if i'm wrong, it ain't by much. And if i noticed this, i can only imagine that the opposing coaches did. And, I know Scott ran late in the game, but that was different as he was acting as the #1 RB with the starters out
I'm beginning to miss our offensive coordinator and offensive line coach from last year. I know we are trying to protect our defensive by slowing down our offense. However, if you can't run against the other team going uptempo might be the only way your offense can move the ball. Only in the Rhode Island has our offensive line been able to control the line of scrimmage. I expected our defense to be worse than last year after losing all of our starters in our front seven. However, I did expect our offense to be better and especially our offensive line. We have plenty of experience on the offensive side of the ball. If we were scoring 35 points a game then most of us would live with the thought that we just have to wait for our defense to catch up with our offense. If our offensive, however, can't score very many points and our defense can't stop anybody, then its very hard to have a lot of hope for this team. Yesterday was a very low point in Husky football history. Hopefully, brighter days are coming, although its hard to remain optimist.

Reaction Score
Our total offense is actually ranked higher than SMU's @ this point in the season (#85 vs. #104) and we've played 4 Top 30 teams in 5 weeks.
Your point is well taken but most of our offensive has been due to David Pindell's legs. John Dunn deserves credit for getting as much as he has out of Pindell. My real disappointment has been in our offensive line. I clearly expected more than I should have from that part of our offense. My opinion is very fluid at this point in time. Lets see what the rest of the season brings. Maybe by then, we will see the improvement in our offensive that we were all expecting and hoping for!

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
This is rock bottom (i hope)... the players completely quit on a winnable game. Im hoping they realize what happened when the watch film this week and use this as a true learning moment. Still a lot of winnable games.

I don't think rock bottom is getting blown out by a 4-0 team. Plenty of room underneath us when we get to the easier part of the schedule.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Losing to UMass and ECU would be rock bottom.

Reaction Score
We have a solid shot to beat UMass. Statistically their defense is also near the bottom of FBS. Might be another Rhode Island game.

ECU is playing much better the last few weeks. Can't see us winning there unless we have a magical turnaround.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom