We are SOFT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We are SOFT

Reaction Score
Gilbert and Vital may have many flaws, but toughness wasn’t one of them. They are not big, but they were never soft.

Defense is 99% effort and there is no excuse for not playing defense imo. Not finishing at the rim is another problem. Both can be instilled.

Josh won most improved player in the conference last season, right? What happened there?

I don’t have the answers, but I’m not paid to. As a fan, I have a lot more questions than I thought I did a few weeks ago. I was apoplectic after the St. Joe’s loss, but I was buoyed by a lot of what I saw after that. Now I am just getting numb.
The fact that Vital has been a starting shooting guard for us for 3+ years is insane. The fact that he's been our leading scorer is beyond depressing.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I'm a masochist and watch all of it. I'm not sure I can do that anymore, I seriously think it takes a toll on my health.
Down 19 with 11 to go my wife says how long you gonna sit through this? I said I want to see if they have a run and we got to 12. At 5 minutes down 19 again my wife says well there’s your run - we left

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
If we get any softer, Mr Whipple will have to become our mascot.

Reaction Score
Hindsight is 20/20 but my answer is yes, he should have. And I’m sure he’s realized that already.

Nope. He’s rebuilding our program. Has long term view in mind. We’ll be good again soon.

Reaction Score
The fact that Vital has been a starting shooting guard for us for 3+ years is insane. The fact that he's been our leading scorer is beyond depressing.
Although that is depressing in which I have no argument for. It says a lot unfortunately. It says we have nobody and haven’t had a reliable stud in years. It also says that our backup 2 because that’s what he is is a starter. Honestly some of these guys play as what they are. As much as we may be pissed at Carlton he is what he is a player. He’s a backup center possibly 3rd stringer center if were able to get some of those other recruits starting for us. So talent does play a part along with toughness.

Reaction Score
Like baby poop.

1578181816548.png

Reaction Score
So we should have dumped all of the guys who came to UConn under Ollie and replaced them with who ? Guys off the football team. They might be even softer. Or should we just be going with 4 guys?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Josh won most improved player in the conference last season, right? What happened there?
You sound like the voice in my head watching him this season. WTH happened? I thought Sal would make him a beast.

Reaction Score
The secret is, he's purposely playing terrible right now so he can win it again this year. Shhhh

Reaction Score
Absolutely need someone like Saunders, or sellers or Jeff Adrian. Show these boys how to play with heart.

Reaction Score
So we should have dumped all of the guys who came to UConn under Ollie and replaced them with who ? Guys off the football team. They might be even softer. Or should we just be going with 4 guys?
You bring in other players.l

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Can someone wake me up from this nightmare?

Reaction Score
The 4 upperclassmen starters shot a combined 6 for 22 today. 6 for 22. Against USF.

Bouknight led the team in scoring AND rebounding, off the bench.

Hurley inherited a big hole to dig out of, but he really needs to better manage the talent he does have. If your freshman guard leads the team in scoring and rebounding off the bench, he needs to be starting. Period. AG and CV have had plenty of chances to show that they can lead and win. They can't.

It is time to turn the page.

Reaction Score
People on the boneyard keep bringing up “talent” in terms of recruiting as if that’s the only thing that matters. I don’t care what they’re rankings were in high school.

Toughness and a Killer Mentality matters just as much if not even more so. Those things don’t always show in high school rankings.

Ollie recruited mostly soft players. It’s up to Hurley to get guys with a killer mentality the way JC did.

Ppl on here putting too much stock in rankings and saying we have talent. None of the talent matters if you are not tougher than the man across from you. Period.
[/QUOTE

Attitude reflects leadership

Reaction Score
I think most of us wouldn’t be as pissed if we were loosing close games. It’s really not even competitive.

Let’s say your point on Hurley is true. Isn’t that still the head coaches fault?
Yes, which is why I said his biggest mistake was not getting rid of them. My point is there isn’t a whole lot he can do to change their nature which is what I think what we all want the most

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gilbert and Vital may have many flaws, but toughness wasn’t one of them. They are not big, but they were never soft.

Defense is 99% effort and there is no excuse for not playing defense imo. Not finishing at the rim is another problem. Both can be instilled.

I don’t have the answers, but I’m not paid to. As a fan, I have a lot more questions than I thought I did a few weeks ago. I was apoplectic after the St. Joe’s loss, but I was buoyed by a lot of what I saw after that. Now I am just getting numb.

Gilbert and Vital are low basketball IQ players. When I mentioned toughness or what I would call grit i mainly speak to Carlton, Polley, Whaley, Sid Wilson, and yes I do think Gilbert lacks grit too actually. It’s more of a combo of lack of grit plus flaws than just toughness itself I guess. I still think the majority of our issues were handed to Hurley on platter via Ollie. I really do. Next year I’m willing to think otherwise

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I'm a masochist and watch all of it. I'm not sure I can do that anymore, I seriously think it takes a toll on my health.
I'm beginning to believe the same.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom