We are Flawed | Page 3 | The Boneyard

We are Flawed

Reaction Score
Hurley said pregame Hopkins was going to be a tough matchup for Karaban, which everyone knew would be a mismatch and then he stuck to that matchup for most of the game and let him drop 27. I don’t get it.

Preach. No help, no different matchup. Just have at 'em Alex... you can't do that to a freshman. Throw Andre on him

Reaction Score
There are some flaws in the backcourt that nearly everyone predicted, but there’s no bigger flaw than the in-game coaching.

Butler, George, Villanova, Xavier, and now Providence have executed similar defensive game plans, and there doesn’t seem to be an attempt at making any adjustments. Conference wins are always tough to come by, but it shouldn’t be this hard with a team this talented.
I don’t think we played that well at Butler either. They just aren’t good

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You nailed it. Love what Karaban brings for shooting and spacing, but he is struggling to stay in front and moreso contest at the rim on defense
Very good offensive player. High iq and hustles. But his body and knowledge on defense is a liability

Reaction Score
We don’t seem to have a killer instinct that wins close games on the road. We play tight. Love this team. Still have high expectations, but we don’t have it… yet.
It’s not. We don’t have bucket getters when the times get tough. Hawkins needs to run off 4 screens to get open because he can’t create for himself. None of our guards are at all effective in the half court.
Yup..exactly…guards can’t break down the defense, if their not hitting 3s their in trouble

Reaction Score
We put up just as much a fight as DePaul did. Embarrassing. This team is getting gut checked right now. We’ll find out a lot these next too games. Because right now it looks like they are amazing front runners

Reaction Score
It isn't that black and white. Sure, we have nobody that can be his initial defender, most teams don't. But there isn't a reason we can't play better help/team defense.
Yes But every comment he’s made is that Karaban shouldn’t haven been guarding him..he was the only possible primary defender we could throw at him without Samson

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Sanogo got cooked a couple times by Hopkins. He’s not quick enough.
Once from what I remember. And then you have Clingan there instead of Newton who’s covering for sanogos high hedge

Reaction Score
We don’t seem to have a killer instinct that wins close games on the road. We play tight. Love this team. Still have high expectations, but we don’t have it… yet.
Maybe if RJ Cole stayed an extra year we would actually have a leader at PG who could run the offense.

Reaction Score
Past two games were eye opening poor performances. Guards have to play and shoot better, Adama needs to figure it out (love him but he’s gotta play stronger and draw fouls) and make free throws.

The worst thing I’ve seen, however, is the officiating. I mean it has been hilariously bad and makes it that much more difficult to win

28-9 in Xavier and this one was closer at 35-19 only because the game was in the bag and they started gifting fouls to us. Same calls in crucial moments went against us

Reaction Score
Like other posters have said Clingan needs to start or play at least 20 plus minutes for us every game. He is the only game changer on the team.
He was the most effective with his minutes tonight and he sat for over half the game.

Reaction Score
The issue is that is Jackson was parked on the bench for 16 minutes of the 1st half with 2 fouls while Hopkins was going off
We were down 3 at the half and the second half was atrocious play.

Reaction Score
Cole could draw fouls, and was a physical defender.

Newton had not been able to since the earlier and easier part of the schedule.

Reaction Score
I don’t know how big the sample size needs to be that Karaban can’t guard these type of players.

It’s insane
He is a Fresman but I agree in this game we should had Jackson guarding Hopkins and Alleyne starting guarding Carter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom