We are Down to Four (4) 2013 Prospects! Where are My Meds? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We are Down to Four (4) 2013 Prospects! Where are My Meds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Roster Size 2011/2012 Eleven.
Losses 2012: Two Tiff Hayes (Grad) & Michala Johnson (transfer)
Gains 2012 Three Moriah Jefferson, Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck
Roster Size for 2012/2013: Twelve
Losess 2013: Three Heather Buck, Caroline Doty, Kelly Faris
Gains 2013: As of Today no verbals
Roster Size for 2013/2014: As of Today 9.
Losses for 2014: Three Stef Dolson, Lauren Engeln, & Bria Hartley.

Ideally IMHO Geno & staff should add three recruits in 2013 to keep roster at 12 and replace the three graduating seniors. However, I suspect UConn will only get one or two recruits. My hope is that a quality guard is signed that will be able to play behind Bria and then take the starting 2 guard position when she graduates.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
You post did not bring any clarity to the situation. We don't know what other schools have in their sights and we don't know who else UConn is looking at that we don't know about.

Good point. If memory serves me correctly (an even money bet), Kalana, Ketia, Tiffany and Brianna Banks were each a bit of a surprise as they were not preceded by the hype of Stewart, Hartley, Strother, and other blue-chippers who generated lots of discussion here and a big HALLELUJAH! when they committed.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Alex's point is totally valid. We are in great shape for a while. It is the "out years" that are potentially a concern. Suppose that we get 0 players in 2013. Then, we will need a large and very talented group in 2014. If the 2016 team has 3 studs--seniors Breanna, Moriah, and Morgan--it still needs 2 other good starters and a few bench players. If the 2013 class is empty, we need the class of 2014--who will be only sophs in 2016--to step up big time early in their careers.

This is still hypothetical. We could still get all 4 targets. My best guess now is 1 or 2. But there are other options:

Kids from 2012 who will be looking to transfer out of other programs after 1 year.

Kids from Europe, Asia, or Australia.

JUCOs, though Geno seems disinclined.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Alex's point is totally valid. We are in great shape for a while. It is the "out years" that are potentially a concern. Suppose that we get 0 players in 2013. Then, we will need a large and very talented group in 2014. If the 2016 team has 3 studs--seniors Breanna, Moriah, and Morgan--it still needs 2 other good starters and a few bench players. If the 2013 class is empty, we need the class of 2014--who will be only sophs in 2016--to step up big time early in their careers.

This is still hypothetical. We could still get all 4 targets. My best guess now is 1 or 2. But there are other options:

Kids from 2012 who will be looking to transfer out of other programs after 1 year.

Kids from Europe, Asia, or Australia.

JUCOs, though Geno seems disinclined.

None of the points are valid as it's too early to worry about.

What if we get zero? Why even think about it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
None of the points are valid as it's too early to worry about.

What if we get zero? Why even think about it.
Our maximum possible yield for 2013 is a medium-sized class. More likely, it is 2 or fewer. The smaller the 2013 class, the larger and perhaps better the 2014 class needs to be. Alternatives include getting players from other sources for 2013. Last year, we had adequate but not abundant depth. The prior year, lack of depth probably cost us the national championship. It seems as if we may be flirting with inadequate depth again in 2-4 years. I'm not worried, but it is a possible concern.

Talking about the future inevitably involves uncertainty. We are looking at contingencies. If you don't want to participate but prefer to wait until November signing day, that's fine.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Even if UConn gets no one this year (which I doubt), we're still looking at a 2014 starting five of
Jefferson (Jr), KML (Sr), Tuck (Jr), Stewart (Jr), Stokes (Sr). [with Banks on bench]

That's not too bad (putting it mildly).

And then 5 frosh learning the system.
No guarantees on the number of frosh. Six experienced players gives us little margin for injuries or transfers. It is a great starting lineup, but adding a couple of good sophs would really help.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Our maximum possible yield for 2013 is a medium-sized class. More likely, it is 2 or fewer. The smaller the 2013 class, the larger and perhaps better the 2014 class needs to be. Alternatives include getting players from other sources for 2013. Last year, we had adequate but not abundant depth. The prior year, lack of depth probably cost us the national championship. It seems as if we may be flirting with inadequate depth again in 2-4 years. I'm not worried, but it is a possible concern.

Talking about the future inevitably involves uncertainty. We are looking at contingencies. If you don't want to participate but prefer to wait until November signing day, that's fine.
I'm in the same spot. Not worried yet, but the number of kids we know have UConn on the RADAR for this year is not great. If we don't get a high hit rate on the remaining targets, we risk running into the situation we had in 2010-11, especially if, say, Banks never makes the leap into reliable role-player or better and one or more of the 2012 super class doesn't pan out.

Indeed, there are a lot of moving parts, but that's why as a general rule, more moving parts are better than fewer.

And yes, by Novemeber of this year, McCall and and Harper could be on board, and I'll be laughing at myself for even thinking about this stuff.

Reaction Score
One piece of the puzzle this view is missing, however, is who's still on the board for each school as well as what the need is in terms of numbers. So if Maryland has offers out to 10 kids (don't know if they do, btw- I just pulled that number out of the air) and UConn has offers out to three, Maryland still has a lot of opportunities to win some recruiting battles, whereas UConn has less breathing room. The second piece of course is need. If UConn went oh-fer in this class, the Huskies are still favorites to win the NC in 2013-14 because even with only nine kids, the talent level projects to be through the roof. However, an oh-fer could derail what should be another strong push for an NC in 2014-15. There would be only six kids who had payed college ball before. Oh what a six it would be (KML, Kiah, Banks, Breanna, Moriah, Morgan), but that means you have to rely on the 2014 recruiting class not just for depth, but possibly to contribute significantly. And of course small classes mean that, at some point, you have a dearth of upperclass leadership.

In short, UConn really does need kids from this 2013 class, and as per usual, Geno and CD have not cast a very wide net in terms of recruiting (a good thing for the most part). Now, you tell me we end up securing the services of two of three of Harper, Chong and McCall, and I'll gladly take that. But if it's one or fewer, I will worry a bit...even as I enjoy the next few seasons.

Alex, you must be joking. It would take an oh-fer this year, plus a weak recruiting class next year, plus multiple injuries for UConn not to be prohibitive favorites in 2014-15. That top six projects to be pretty much as strong as any UConn top six. Likely three out of the top ten in the country and four or five out of the top twenty.

2015-2016 is another matter, although even there an oh-fer this year followed by two decent (but not necessarily spectacular) recruiting classes will probably be enough to make UConn the favorites to win the NC that year.

Let's face it, if you go year-by-year, with the exception of Baylor next year, there's no one who projects to be even close to UConn in the next four years. Of course, someone might emerge, but there's no one who you would even think about trading places with in any given year out of the next four (other than Baylor next year).

U

UCONNfan1

"why even think about it" one poster asked? because it's something to discuss in the offseason. some people worry, others do not. all Milford's points are valid since we currently have zero recruits, and he said his post was all "hypothetical". what the hell is the big deal of someone is "worried" or "concerned", or whatever? isn't that one of the points of the board - to discuss a variety of topics in an interesting environment?

i'm not picking him out specifically, but as a mostly lurker and occasional poster, i find it off-putting how frequently posters here either scold at the least, or blast at the worst, the opinions of others. it makes other lurkers, or infrequent posters, incredibly hesitant to take part in any kind of discussion.

i see zero wrong with saying "you got your facts wrong". or even "I disagree completely with your opinion". but i'm completely baffled that some posters on this board go "at" each other.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
"why even think about it" one poster asked? because it's something to discuss in the offseason. some people worry, others do not. all Milford's points are valid since we currently have zero recruits, and he said his post was all "hypothetical". what the hell is the big deal of someone is "worried" or "concerned", or whatever? isn't that one of the points of the board - t

i'm not picking him out specifically, but as a mostly lurker and occasional poster, i find it off-putting how frequently posters here either scold at the least, or blast at the worst, the opinions of others. it makes other lurkers, or infrequent posters, incredibly hesitant to take part in any kind of discussion.

i see zero wrong with saying "you got your facts wrong". or even "I disagree completely with your opinion". but i'm completely baffled that some posters on this board go "at" each other.

Oh yeah? You can't say that and get away with it.;)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Alex, you must be joking. It would take an oh-fer this year, plus a weak recruiting class next year, plus multiple injuries for UConn not to be prohibitive favorites in 2014-15. That top six projects to be pretty much as strong as any UConn top six. Likely three out of the top ten in the country and four or five out of the top twenty.

2015-2016 is another matter, although even there an oh-fer this year followed by two decent (but not necessarily spectacular) recruiting classes will probably be enough to make UConn the favorites to win the NC that year.

Let's face it, if you go year-by-year, with the exception of Baylor next year, there's no one who projects to be even close to UConn in the next four years. Of course, someone might emerge, but there's no one who you would even think about trading places with in any given year out of the next four (other than Baylor next year).
How good did the 2002 and 2008 classes look coming in? Stuff happens. We have every reason to be optimistic about the six kids who project to be on the roster in 2014-15, but three of those kids haven't yet played a minute of college ball, Banks has not proven yet that she can be a consistent contributor, Kiah has all the potential in the world but needs to improve steadily to be a championship-caliber starting post by 2014-15, and even KML, who's got a ton of star power already, has a ways to go herself. Injuries, attrition, and kids simply not being as good as we thought they'd be out of high school are all simply things that are par for the course. Even if all six kids are as good as we hope they'll be, you're still treading on very thin ice without significant contributions from the next two classes.

It's not like you have to go that far back in the past to see this. From the ostensibly great 2008 class, you had one defection, one very, very good but not great player, one oft-injured player, and one kid who never really blossomed into what she was expected to become. UConn then followed that class up with a one-player class in 2009. The lack of depth and the reliance on underclassmen came with a price. It's a price many programs would aspire to pay, to be sure, but if we're talking championships, especially multiple championships, you cannot have lost recruiting classes. If Breanna, Moriah, and KML turn into Tina, Renee, and Maya? Then it almost doesn't matter who else is on the team. But until that kind of development becomes a reality, you need more pieces.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
once UConn start kickin a** this upcoming season things will fall into place. Also when HS players show improvement Geno will take a harder look at them.

plenty of time ahead

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
"why even think about it" one poster asked? because it's something to discuss in the offseason. some people worry, others do not. all Milford's points are valid since we currently have zero recruits, and he said his post was all "hypothetical". what the hell is the big deal of someone is "worried" or "concerned", or whatever? isn't that one of the points of the board - to discuss a variety of topics in an interesting environment?

Being the poster that said "why even think about it?" I wonder why that bothers you so much. I'm just stating my opinion as well.

And aren't you doing exactly what you are being critical about? Scolding me for my opinion?

I have no problem with posters discussing whatever they want. I just felt that the "doom and gloom" about the recruiting situation was silly. And I made my opinion known. I'm sorry if that offended you.

Reaction Score
Folks, quit bickering.
It's better than fat people at WalMart.

JS

Reaction Score
I'm glad nobody ever scoffs at or chides my opionions. I wonder how it must feel.
Your opinions are ridiculous. Now how do you feel?

Probably like you were being facetious in the first place.

Here's a little mod philos0phy. No one's really out of line, just an exercise.

Poster A: We should have more commitments by now. I'm nervous.

Poster B: In my opinion, it's too early to be worried and here's why. In my further opinion, your opinion is silly.

Poster C: Hey B, stop attacking other people's opinions. In my opinion your aggressiveness is driving potential posters away.

Poster A is offering an opinion and his feelings about it. Poster B is mixing an opinion about the topic with an implied opinion about Poster A (he's capable of "silly" opinions). Poster C is offering an opinion only about Poster B's behavior and nothing about the topic.

Thus "bickering" begins. Moral of the story: Saying something is an opinion doesn't automatically make it OK. It depends on the words used and whether the opinion is about the topic, or about the other poster, or both.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Your opinions are ridiculous. Now how do you feel?

Probably like you were being facetious in the first place.

Here's a little mod philos0phy. No one's really out of line, just an exercise.

Poster A: We should have more commitments by now. I'm nervous.

Poster B: In my opinion, it's too early to be worried and here's why. In my further opinion, your opinion is silly.

Poster C: Hey B, stop attacking other people's opinions. In my opinion your aggressiveness is driving potential posters away.

Poster A is offering an opinion and his feelings about it. Poster B is mixing an opinion about the topic with an implied opinion about Poster A (he's capable of "silly" opinions). Poster C is offering an opinion only about Poster B's behavior and nothing about the topic.

Thus "bickering" begins. Moral of the story: Saying something is an opinion doesn't automatically make it OK. It depends on the words used and whether the opinion is about the topic, or about the other poster, or both.

That Poster B guy is very good looking.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm glad nobody ever scoffs at or chides my opionions. I wonder how it must feel.

I'm sure as a fan of someone other than UConn, you think we are crazy to worry about recruiting.

JS

Reaction Score
That Poster B guy is very good looking.
Well, that's an opinion.

So far I've thought he only gets by with smarts and a charming manner.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm sure as a fan of someone other than UConn, you think we are crazy to worry about recruiting.

Recruiting is a concern for all fans, so I completely get it. A weak recruiting year or two can have a big impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom