We’ve seen this before. | The Boneyard

We’ve seen this before.

Reaction Score
Coach Anderson fired “for cause” at St John’s. Files lawsuit. So let me get this straight you’re going to Pitino to clean up the program. I’ll go on a limb and bet he wins.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We fired our guy for NCAA violations and got called on some procedural nonsense by an arbitrator.

St. John’s fired their guy for I I have no idea even though I have read it ten times. Apparently, Anderson caused SJU “serious reputational harm” like a year after they liked him enough to give him an extension.

Good luck there.

Reaction Score
We fired our guy for NCAA violations and got called on some procedural nonsense by an arbitrator.

St. John’s fired their guy for I I have no idea even though I have read it ten times. Apparently, Anderson caused SJU “serious reputational harm” like a year after they liked him enough to give him an extension.

Good luck there.
Something's fishy on this one.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score

Good luck there.
He caused serious reputational harm and they replaced him with beacon of morality, Rick Pitino

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This has me a little curious as similar to our situation, the AD wanted to move on from a coach under contract but the school's administration didn't want to pay the buyout. Unlike our situation, St John's has a donor willing and able to toss a lot of money at the problem.

My guess is Repole wanted more authority than the school was willing to give him so he declined to cover the buyout.

Reaction Score
Waiting for the sports doctor and former St. John’s alum Mike Francessa to weigh in here. He’ll be all for Pitino.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I mean if StJohn’s tries to stick with this after witnessing UConn’s folly, they should shut down the program now instead of waiting 5 years. Why you would want this hanging over your program at the same time you made an energizing hire that’s given you the most buzz you’ve had in 25 years is just so shortsighted.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This has me a little curious as similar to our situation, the AD wanted to move on from a coach under contract but the school's administration didn't want to pay the buyout. Unlike our situation, St John's has a donor willing and able to toss a lot of money at the problem.

My guess is Repole wanted more authority than the school was willing to give him so he declined to cover the buyout.
Repole hasn't really been a booster at SJU.

Reaction Score

Good luck there.
I read the full report. The settlement whether you agree with it or not was not "procedural nonsense".

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Both schools come off looking ridiculous. Somehow I think St. John's may have even managed to outdo us.

Reaction Score
According to the termination letter obtained by ESPN, Anderson was fired for "failure to create and support an environment that strongly encourages student-athletes who are in the men's basketball program to meet all university academic requirements," "failure to perform your duties and responsibilities in a manner that reflected positively on St. John's University ... in actions [that] brought serious discredit" to the school and "failure to appropriately supervise and communicate with your assistant coaches.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Repole hasn't really been a booster at SJU.
No, but he has made it clear that he will be happy to start writing checks if they take steps to contend and allow his involvement. I believe he would have written this check with conditions that St John's wasn't willing to agree with.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No, but he has made it clear that he will be happy to start writing checks if they take steps to contend and allow his involvement. I believe he would have written this check with conditions that St John's wasn't willing to agree with.

No one is writing a $11M check.

Reaction Score
We had valid cause and got screwed. St. John's is grasping at straws.

Yeah, and now that Emmert is gone, I'm sure Charlie Baker will throw the book at them to show the NCAA he means business...

At the same time, Charlie Baker has no reason to be vindictive towards St. Johns.

Just like Emmert with UConn. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Good luck there.
Id hire Anderson in a second if im some mid major. That guy can coach. I dont think hes much of a recruiter though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom