WC Qualifiers | Page 6 | The Boneyard

WC Qualifiers

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would like to see a new European manager come now in just to herd these cats. Leave the development to others. Get someone with no preconceived notions to review all the options. Someone not beholden to anyone and wouldn't be afraid to step on toes for the cause of victory. Preferably a no BS manager with little personal charm or sense of humor. What about my man Avram Grant?

Reaction Score
No, they didn't play well but they haven't quit on him.

No it hasn't. Not even close. They haven't gotten run off the field like they did against Costa Rica. As bad as they played against Honduras, it's not even close to the shellacking Klinsmann took from Costa Rica.

No, NO, NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if they would have brought in you (God forbid), Klinsmann HAD TO GO.

You can make an argument for someone different than Arena. But it's completely asinine to suggest Klinsmann should/could have stayed.

Yawn.

Reaction Score
I would like to see a new European manager come now in just to herd these cats. Leave the development to others. Get someone with no preconceived notions to review all the options. Someone not beholden to anyone and wouldn't be afraid to step on toes for the cause of victory. Preferably a no BS manager with little personal charm or sense of humor. What about my man Avram Grant?

Think big. Go get Conte.

Reaction Score

And if it must be an American... then I say go with Wynalda. Unlike fat Sigi and Bruce he actually laced them up in a locker room that matters. And he's got one of the most sober views of the team's performance. He'd actually have the stones to bench players like Bradley when they don't deliver.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
And if it must be an American... then I say go with Wynalda. Unlike fat Sigi and Bruce he actually laced them up in a locker room that matters. And he's got one of the most sober views of the team's performance. He'd actually have the stones to bench players like Bradley when they don't deliver.

You went from Conte to Wynalda. That's like going from Kate Upton to Roseanne Barr.

Wynalda is horrible. He had a good career for us, but listening to him as a commentator makes my ears bleed. And if that's the case, he's probably an even worse coach.

If it must be an American, you'll probably have to look to the MLS. I know that you probably just suffered a stroke reading that sentence. The non-MLS guys that you would think about probably don't have much coaching experience. But if we are going to just go with a former player that "could" be good, I would put up three names on the list in the order that I think I'd want them:

1) McBride
2) Bocanegra
3) Marcelo Balboa

Before you laugh, Marcelo's great. I actually like listening to him in both English AND Spanish...

Reaction Score
You went from Conte to Wynalda. That's like going from Kate Upton to Roseanne Barr.

Wynalda is horrible. He had a good career for us, but listening to him as a commentator makes my ears bleed. And if that's the case, he's probably an even worse coach.

If it must be an American, you'll probably have to look to the MLS. I know that you probably just suffered a stroke reading that sentence. The non-MLS guys that you would think about probably don't have much coaching experience. But if we are going to just go with a former player that "could" be good, I would put up three names on the list in the order that I think I'd want them:

1) McBride
2) Bocanegra
3) Marcelo Balboa

Before you laugh, Marcelo's great. I actually like listening to him in both English AND Spanish...

Love Wynalda. His show was the best on Sirius. He would be better served as a manager though. He's had some real success, too bad MLS has been too afraid to hire him.

Marcelo is a nothingburger employee of the Colorado Rapids.

Bocanegra is the GM in Atlanta. McBride I would consider.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Love Wynalda. His show was the best on Sirius. He would be better served as a manager though. He's had some real success, too bad MLS has been too afraid to hire him.

Marcelo is a nothingburger employee of the Colorado Rapids.

Bocanegra is the GM in Atlanta. McBride I would consider.

LOL at your statement of the MLS being afraid to hire Wynalda! They hired Jay Heaps, for crying out loud. My goodness, you really only have one song that you like to play, and you play the hell out of it...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The beatings should continue until morale improves

I feel like Zoo saying something about the MLS is our own little version of getting Rick-rolled:

Reaction Score
LOL at your statement of the MLS being afraid to hire Wynalda! They hired Jay Heaps, for crying out loud. My goodness, you really only have one song that you like to play, and you play the hell out of it...

You're simply ignorant.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Another option to stir things up with the USSF: Sack Sunil Gulati

Qualify, play out this WC and then sack them all. Everyone involved. Bring in a team of people who share a common vision. Talk to MLS about what that vision is. If MLS doesn't get in line, then ignore them and find all players overseas and encourage every young player to spurn MLS. Next stop, colleges, high schools and junior programs. Produce training materials to provide some consistency and modernize our approach to the game.

Essentially, run the whole U.S. like it is Barcelona. Bring in a brilliant Dutch guy too if we can find one. Whatever works. Find a visionary. Find somebody like Paul Allen too, to fund some of it.

Reaction Score
Qualify, play out this WC and then sack them all. Everyone involved. Bring in a team of people who share a common vision. Talk to MLS about what that vision is. If MLS doesn't get in line, then ignore them and find all players overseas and encourage every young player to spurn MLS. Next stop, colleges, high schools and junior programs. Produce training materials to provide some consistency and modernize our approach to the game.

Essentially, run the whole U.S. like it is Barcelona. Bring in a brilliant Dutch guy too if we can find one. Whatever works. Find a visionary. Find somebody like Paul Allen too, to fund some of it.
The Dutch can even find a brilliant Dutch guy

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Glass houses.
Wear it.

11838600.jpg

Reaction Score

They won't sack Gulati. Look at the 2o26 WC bid with Mexico/Canada. He managed to get Mexico and Canada to allow the U.S. to receive 60 out of 80 matches for 2026. If they win the bid (voting happens right before the WC) there's no way they sack him. Say what you will but he is a businessman first.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They won't sack Gulati. Look at the 2o26 WC bid with Mexico/Canada. He managed to get Mexico and Canada to allow the U.S. to receive 60 out of 80 matches for 2026. If they win the bid (voting happens right before the WC) there's no way they sack him. Say what you will but he is a businessman first.
True. :(

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The goal is clearly to win the World Cup in 2026. Or at least make the semis.

Listen, whether we make it or not, don't expect big things in Russia. No way will the organizers allow the US to advance. Every bad break, far flung travel schedule, and questionable call that normally goes against us in big tournaments will be multiplied by 40 in Russia.

Build for 2026, that is 9 years away. Our player pool is now between the ages of 12 and 25. If you aren't a lock starter for Russia, and not in that age range you should be out in favor of guys who can play now and have a chance to play in 2026. That goes for Qatar too.

The only bench guys older than that should be in spots where we don't curently have any 2026 or 2022 prospects. The older bench guys need to be moved on right after the Hex.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nonsensical. Sort of like when Arsenal does the whole zonal marking on set pieces.
Once again.

Zonal Marking isn't really the problem, Arsenal's execution of it is. (and even that is no worse than their execution of man marking)

Reaction Score
Once again.

Zonal Marking isn't really the problem, Arsenal's execution of it is. (and even that is no worse than their execution of man marking)

Zonal marking sucks. You're going full Spackler here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom