WBCA Won't Award So Carolina a Trophy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WBCA Won't Award So Carolina a Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From what i have seen Dawn is the only coach who has adopted this stance..... "give me the title because i am leading the pack now" I haven't seen bill self say stop everything and give me the title.... the virus has thrown sports into a bind but those are the breaks.
Well considering Bill Self was caught red handed buying players and is under NCAA Notice of allegations investigation for paying players, I would not be challenging the institution in any manner

Reaction Score
She has demanded nothing. She keeps getting asked her opinion and she gives it and she does not apologize for it. The only fanbase that thinks her opinions are a big deal is this one because this african american women is no scared to speak her mind. I would expect this fanbase to more than empathize with Oregon because they more resemble the majority of your teams. All is well though. This narrative is most challenged by a fanbase that feels oh so entitled when they their team over the past few years has gotten every benefit of the doubt there is in relation to women's college basketball.
I get why Dawn is saying what she's saying - she has to support her team, and play to the SC fan base. And I don't get why some UConn fans are as bent about it as they seem to be. Dawn's repetition is starting to be a little off-putting, and is starting to sound like a media campaign, but whatever. Like I said, I get it.

But to say that UConn fans are upset "because this African American woman is not scared to speak her mind", and your racial implication that we sympathize more with Oregon because "they resemble the majority of [our] teams" is over the top. We're not cutting Oregon any slack. Nobody at Oregon did anything they need to be cut any slack for. Not Kelly Graves, not Sabrina, not Hebard, not Sabally, not Minyon Moore - nobody there is trying to claim a national championship. That's YOUR coach. Geez.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
She has demanded nothing. She keeps getting asked her opinion and she gives it and she does not apologize for it. The only fanbase that thinks her opinions are a big deal is this one because this african american women is no scared to speak her mind. I would expect this fanbase to more than empathize with Oregon because they more resemble the majority of your teams. All is well though. This narrative is most challenged by a fanbase that feels oh so entitled when they their team over the past few years has gotten every benefit of the doubt there is in relation to women's college basketball.

I posted this quote and link in the Baylor thread, but I think it really belongs here. Not a challenge and not from a fan base that feels entitled, but a very different response nevertheless:

Kelley Graves: "I kinda had to slap myself after a couple of days, being so selfish and only thinking about my team. But what about all the other teams whose dreams were dashed?"

There's more from about 36:25 on.

Inside Pac-12 Women's Basketball Podcast

Reaction Score
Kind of speaks her mind like another Coach from Philly who coaches Uconn and does not give a damn about what he says if it seems to irritate others. hmmmm
Go Figure. Kind of like the claim that because they did not beat Uconn it the championship wasn't real or validated. Wow. Go Figure.....
Let it go. Dawn didn’t win the National Championship. There was no tournament. Being ranked # 1 does not make S.C. the National Champion. End of conversation. Poorly constructed anti-UConn commentary is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well considering Bill Self was caught red handed buying players and is under NCAA Notice of allegations investigation for paying players, I would not be challenging the institution in any manner

OK lets leave bill self out of it.... why don't we crown the NBA champion and stanley cup champion just give to the teams that have the best record right now do not require them to play for the titles....

i have nothing against dawn staley.... but this does seem silly.... it is an unfortunate situation.... but lets not get crazy

hey now that olympics are postponed and maybe cancelled we could give out all medals by rankings right now and not require competition....

Reaction Score
I think.....it's because she constantly pretends to be a victim of others conspiring to keep her and her team down.

Good pickup sluconn husky.... the interjection of race and espousing (what i see as) ignorant conjecture is insulting.... i have nothing against Dawn and in fact think she is a good coach.... but apparently any anti-dawn comment is due to bigotry.... unless i am misreading the post simply not true

Reaction Score
Self is most certainly no saint. Dawn can claim her team as national champions like Florida Golf Coast did in college football a couple of years ago but they won't be NCAA champions. Decades ago, The Helms Foundation retroactively named teams national champions back when it NCAA didn't exist and it is still a source of controversy between certain schools as to was really a national champion.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Silly thread...In any other season you would play it out on the court so to even mention what happened in the past is irrelevant to what has happened this year. I am not advocating that a national champion be named...but if that were to happen (and it won't) then Dawn would be correct in claiming the title. These computer models can't predict injury....fatigue….heart....conditioning....so throw all of the computer models out the window, they offer nothing. You can not say the Oregon or South Carolina would be the last two teams standing...much less predict a win for either....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK lets leave bill self out of it.... why don't we crown the NBA champion and stanley cup champion just give to the teams that have the best record right now do not require them to play for the titles....

i have nothing against dawn staley.... but this does seem silly.... it is an unfortunate situation.... but lets not get crazy

hey now that olympics are postponed and maybe cancelled we could give out all medals by rankings right now and not require competition....
I like where you’re going with this. So I want to be the first to congratulate my beloved New York Yankees on winning their 28th world championship. To all you fans of the Red Sox, Astros, Dodgers, etc., better luck next year. :cool:

Reaction Score
I like where you’re going with this. So I want to be the first to congratulate my beloved New York Yankees on winning their 28th world championship. To all you fans of the Red Sox, Astros, Dodgers, etc., better luck next year. :cool:
They should just give it to them every year! It's really just the Yankees and nobody else! 100 % with you oldude!

Reaction Score
I've gone from thinking Dawn was a "cool" coach and a good advocate of the game to thinking she is completely immature(particularly on twitter), and now....just a whiner and frankly, a little pathetic.

However-this is a great recruiting tactic because I bet some kids will eat this right up.

Reaction Score
From what i have seen Dawn is the only coach who has adopted this stance..... "give me the title because i am leading the pack now" I haven't seen bill self say stop everything and give me the title.... the virus has thrown sports into a bind but those are the breaks.

Self said they would accept a title if the NCAA wanted to award it and thought that it would be deserved, but with two big asterisks.

Also said they would probably hang something to commemorate the team finish.

Reaction Score
I am a huge fan of Dawn! Spent plenty of Sunday's after church in South Carolina watching her play for the Cavaliers. She needs to ask Kemba's 2011 #3 seed Huskies and Shabazz's 2014 #7 seed Huskies how did those seasons ended. Or better yet, ask 2011's #1 overall seed Ohio State or 2014's #1 overall seed Florida what happened. Yeah yeah yeah...there is more parity in the men's game blahzay blahzay. :rolleyes:;)

Reaction Score
I've gone from thinking Dawn was a "cool" coach and a good advocate of the game to thinking she is completely immature(particularly on twitter), and now....just a whiner and frankly, a little pathetic.

However-this is a great recruiting tactic because I bet some kids will eat this right up.
Geno wasn't exactly great at twitter either, by the way, if we're looking for coaches who embarrass themselves on social media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom