WBB’s Thanksgiving Plans? | The Boneyard

WBB’s Thanksgiving Plans?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So we’re heading into Thanksgiving during a pandemic. The CDC and other experts have advised against travel and requested that holiday gatherings be limited to 10 people or less.

UConn is requiring that any student leaving campus to travel home for Thanksgiving test negative prior to departure. So far, of approximately 7000 students, 56 have tested positive: less than 1%. Of those 56 positive tests, 80% were asymptomatic.

With the Huskies first game two days after Thanksgiving, I am assuming that the team will all remain on campus. This raises the question of what plans UConn players have for Thanksgiving?

In the past, players who did not return home for Thanksgiving were always welcome for the feast at Geno & Kathy’s. With 11 players, that presents something of a dilemma in light of the 10 person guideline.

On the other hand, these 11 players have been together with Geno and his staff every day for weeks, so it’s unlikely the risk would be any greater than daily practices. Just one more dilemma during this difficult year.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Well oldude you certainly raise a difficult dilemma for Geno and our women. Is it reasonable to suggest that possibly, some of our women go to Geno's, some go to CD's? I know they probably would all prefer to be together but..........................?????? I'm sure they (Geno and staff) have a solution in hand. I am confident that they will do what is proper and "legal". Negative publicity of any kind will to be avoided when ever possible.

Happy Thanksgiving to our team, staff and all BYers.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
My feeling on Thanksgiving and how many people you can have over to celebrate the holiday. This is family time and we know our family and close friends. We know what to do and for those who dont its on them. We are responsible adults who know right from wrong. I appreciate our politicians warning us about social distancing and wearing masks which we have know for months, however we all live together, everyday and spend time together. IMO it should be a warning not a threat of going to jail for spending time with your family during the holidays. Do what you think is right either way.

Reaction Score
I think the most applicable cliche in this particular case is "Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't." So often our minds tell us what we should do and then our hearts tell us what we really want to do. My heart goes out to all of boneyarders who have to make this decision I pray that no one has to be alone. As far as listning to .a politician telling me what to do in the midst of a pandemic, forget it. I prefer to listen to someone with medical training who actually knows something about what is going on. I believe they are best qualified to give advice.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My wife and I will be spending Thanksgiving with her 93 year old father, just the 3 of us, wearing masks, except during dinner, when we will be socially distant. This will be the first Thanksgiving in 36 years that we will not be with our son, nor will we be with our daughter-in-law or our grandson.

We are thankful that everyone in our family is healthy, and hopeful that we’ll all be together again next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My mother in law is 86 and lives just three miles away. She is staying at home and we are eating in our home. Her choice. We have reverted to talking to her through the closed window or door. In the big picture its not too much to ask. Green side of the grass.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My guess is that Kathy will host, but Nonna will stay in Pennsylvania.

I was thinking I might drive to Long Island, where my son has a weekend/vacation home, to see that part of the family. But he decided not to fly in from Texas for safety reasons at about the time I decided that visiting them was unsafe. I'll see them next year, God willing.

Now retired, I usually have about 15-20 trips off various durations each year. I haven't been more than 60 miles from home since the American Conference Tourney in Uncasville on March 9.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
The wife and I will be alone for the first time in memory. My daughter and 2 grandchildren in Ct will also be alone. Our daughter and granddaughter are both health workers and grandson a senior in HS. They have been ultra cautious throughout the pandemic. My son, daughter-in-law and 2 adolescent grandchildren live here in Me, about 30 miles away. We have been VERY cautious with distancing there, since the kids and son (teacher) are in school and the daughter-in-law is a child care provider. Caution hopefully provides a healthy future with them all, for a number of months apart today.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
My guess is that Kathy will host, but Nonna will stay in Pennsylvania.

I was thinking I might drive to Long Island, where my son has a weekend/vacation home, to see that part of the family. But he decided not to fly in from Texas for safety reasons at about the time I decided that visiting them was unsafe. I'll see them next year, God willing.

Now retired, I usually have about 15-20 trips off various durations each year. I haven't been more than 60 miles from home since the American Conference Tourney in Uncasville on March 9.
Sounds like you'll be spending another Thanksgiving with your adopted family, the Fudds.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Since we moved to Florida 4 years ago, we have had a friends Thanksgiving. We invite some neighbors over for the feast. We usually have 6 to 8 adults. Since we live in a 55+ community, that will not happen this year.

The wife and I will be traveling to her youngest brother for the feast - about 3 hours away. There will be 4 of us, maybe six - all family members.

Reaction Score
Safe is always first. You can have Thanksgiving every year. Listen to experts and wear mask.

CA starts last Saturday to restrict any outdoor activities from 10 pm to 5 am, unless necessary. We will all stay at home eating roasted Pekin duck and watch on-line movies.

Wish everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving Day.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sounds like you'll be spending another Thanksgiving with your adopted family, the Fudds.
They are nice folks. Azzi loves Nutella, so I'll try to perfect my Nutella Crepes. I just hope she doesn't want me to TikTok with her! :D

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
My feeling on Thanksgiving and how many people you can have over to celebrate the holiday. This is family time and we know our family and close friends. We know what to do and for those who dont its on them. We are responsible adults who know right from wrong. I appreciate our politicians warning us about social distancing and wearing masks which we have know for months, however we all live together, everyday and spend time together.
I feel this is worth a response to because of its import. The thing that makes the prospect of typical Thanksgiving gatherings — multiplied across a population of roughly 300 million — especially concerning to public health experts is precisely the fact that they very often bring together people who, though perhaps related by blood or marriage, don't actually live together or regularly spend time together.

No one is saying people shouldn't be with the people that we're already with everyday.

A relative's recent funeral (which I did not attend) became a superspreader event from which, at latest count, 18 people ended up testing positive. Not to sound callous, but subtract the casket and add a turkey and you've got a gathering that could be equally, or even more, conducive to contagion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At my inlaws, 10 people, the same 10 people at every occasion. Would rather skip but not due to covid but due to my brother-in-law who is a grade A plus balloon knot. God bless y’all.
Thank you to my new best friend Martin for giving me a new phrase. Tomorrow I am going to use "balloon knot" as many times as I can. I'll let you know how that goes.

I too have a group of 10 that gets together every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. Like your group, we have a balloon knot. I hope she does read this. She is my wife's sister in law. She knows more about everything than everyone in the world. I have promised my wife that I will not tell her off as long as my mother in law is alive. The last easter was canceled. Last Christmas the balloon nut was sick, so she canceled. So on Thursday when your going head to head with your brother-in-law, have comfort in knowing I won't be dealing with my balloon knot.

Reaction Score
I’m guessing most people know this but balloon knot here at The Boneyard is code for butthole. Lolol

Reaction Score
So we’re heading into Thanksgiving during a pandemic. The CDC and other experts have advised against travel and requested that holiday gatherings be limited to 10 people or less.

UConn is requiring that any student leaving campus to travel home for Thanksgiving test negative prior to departure. So far, of approximately 7000 students, 56 have tested positive: less than 1%. Of those 56 positive tests, 80% were asymptomatic.

With the Huskies first game two days after Thanksgiving, I am assuming that the team will all remain on campus. This raises the question of what plans UConn players have for Thanksgiving?

In the past, players who did not return home for Thanksgiving were always welcome for the feast at Geno & Kathy’s. With 11 players, that presents something of a dilemma in light of the 10 person guideline.

On the other hand, these 11 players have been together with Geno and his staff every day for weeks, so it’s unlikely the risk would be any greater than daily practices. Just one more dilemma during this difficult year.
The number '10' is just a guideline, it's arbitrary, there's no logic behind it, eh?

Reaction Score
Everybody on the Boneyard have a great Thanksgiving no matter what are the circumstances!!!

From October 2019 until April 30th I was in a convalescent home for rehab from having several surgeries. From around April 20th was when the Coronavirus came in and just took over the place! It started on 2 wings I wasn't on but 3 days later it hit my wing! First 5 people tested positive. The following day 4 more people. They were at the other end of the wing I was on. Four people died that day from the other wings! The next day no new positives on my wing but another death on the other wings! On the 28th 7 more people on my wing tested positive! My wing had 30 people. That night 3 more people passed away with 1 on my wing! I will be honest with you it was a situation that I never thought I would ever have to deal with! On the 29th the rest of my wing except my roommate and I tested positive! Up to that point in my life I only had a fear of heights! I was scared because of what was happening all around me! 7 more people died that day and night! I didn't sleep at all that. So I started packing my belongings and that morning I signed myself out!

I saw first hand the devastation this virus is capable of! I had 4 more surgeries since May and I am back in a different convalescent home. This place has had only 3 positives since I have been here since June. The only ones they have had since this started!

From my experience I suggest that ! everyone please remain vigilant with what they are asking all of us to do! Don't get complacent which is very easy to do. Just look at the states that did like Florida. Even with your family members that you live with be careful because everybody still have to work, shop and school. You don't know what and who they are around when you're not with them. Sorry this is so long! Please Please be patient with this deadly disease! Stay safe, Mark

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Just my parents, grandmother, and sister... like usual. Although my mother mentioned something about the possibility of 2 more additional people this year. For the past six or seven months.. I go there to visit every other week. On Mother's Day, Father's Day, and the Fourth of July..... our meals were socially distanced. My father and I dined in a separate room, while my grandmother, sister, and mother spread out in the dining room. Everyone wears their masks (except of course while eating)

Reaction Score
I feel this is worth a response to because of its import. The thing that makes the prospect of typical Thanksgiving gatherings — multiplied across a population of roughly 300 million — especially concerning to public health experts is precisely the fact that they very often bring together people who, though perhaps related by blood or marriage, don't actually live together or regularly spend time together.

No one is saying people shouldn't be with the people that we're already with everyday.

A relative's recent funeral (which I did not attend) became a superspreader event from which, at latest count, 18 people ended up testing positive. Not to sound callous, but subtract the casket and add a turkey and you've got a gathering that could be equally, or even more, conducive to contagion.
Thank you Plebe. This is being described as a "pandemic" for a reason. I realize that it has been repeated endlessly but the procedures being put in place are being done for two people, yourself and the person next to you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom