Way Off Topic: Surge Pricing | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Way Off Topic: Surge Pricing

Reaction Score
You’re a coastal elitist

Harsh but fair. I don't think I've had McDonald's in 20+ years.

I get that it's economical but buy a bag of rice and some ground beef or something. It doesn't even look appetizing.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I get that it's economical but buy a bag of rice and some ground beef or something. It doesn't even look appetizing.

Oh I am too.

I did used to like a Whopper every now and then. But I agree, a lot of that stuff looks nasty. I can’t believe I used to like Taco Bell.

Reaction Score

It’s more than just food for a lot of people out in the exurbs. They function as social centers/senior centers where there is little else.

Elderly folks get out their house, have a cheap bite or cup of coffee, socialize, and just be among others. Young moms get together, while their kids play in the play area. For lunch or after school, the teens show up.

On the wealthy coastal areas where people generally have more money, they have more options, but for lots- it’s McDonalds.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
You know people who eat McDonalds multiple times a day “most days”?

I know multiple people who eat McDs, Wendy's and Burger King several times a week. The Uber eats driver makes bank just in my neighborhood.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
There were craft beer bars doing this 15+ years ago with a beer price ticker going around the place. I remember that being cool at the time. Not sure how to reconcile this being bad for humanity (or for Wendy's)

Reaction Score
If we have the same understanding of BCG, I will say this. Put a bunch of recent Ivy League MBA’s who have not seen their 26th birthday in a room, hire them to tell you what’s wrong with your business model and boom, all your customers now hate you. That Ivy League education is priceless.
They have a lot of REALLY smart and talented folks and are as valuable as they are for a reason. But yes sometimes they still come up with some pretty poorly thought out ideas at times. The upside if you’re the management team is when one of these flops, you can go to the board and say it was X consulting firm’s fault.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Wendy's says we all got all wrong.

Me wonders if they had come out with a press release saying they planned on discounting prices during slow times how different would the narrative have been?

Hint, hint for every business. Customers 100% associate "dynamic pricing" or "surge pricing" as meaning the standard baseline price gets jacked up during times of higher demand. There is zero association of consumers getting discounts during lower demands.

Reaction Score
I’m cracking up at the “I don’t eat fast food” replies.

You know how obese America is, right? We didn’t get this way from too many croutons on our salad.

About a year and a half ago I moved to Spain. During that time I have lost about 40 pounds without controlling my eating or exercising more than usual. It should be noted that in the past few years I have also had a new job, 2 new kids, moved everyone to a new country as mentioned, and bought/renovated a new house. So stress could be a factor.

But I have alternated living in the US and internationally for the past 40 years. And around the time I turned 30 when I started packing on pounds more easily, I started noticing that every time I live outside the US I shed pounds effortlessly.

My theory/belief is it's the preservatives / additives in US processed food - many/most are not allowed in Europe. One example my wife mentioned: in orange Fanta in Spain the coloring comes from carrots and sweet potato. In the US the coloring comes from Orange Dye #23482749

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I'd have to look it up for references but they've done analysis on

Buy one get one free
50% Off
Two for the price of one

Even when the sale says you'd have to buy two items for the 50% off or the 2 for 1, consumers still jump on BOBO the most often.

Also remember A&W priced their 1/3 lbs hamburger at same price as McD's 1/4 pounder in the 80's and the promotion failed due in part to consumers not realizing 1/3>1/4.usag
Sung to the tune of Burger King only "Have it our way"

Reaction Score
My theory/belief is it's the preservatives / additives in US processed food - many/most are not allowed in Europe. One example my wife mentioned: in orange Fanta in Spain the coloring comes from carrots and sweet potato. In the US the coloring comes from Orange Dye #23482749
There are also plenty of colorings banned in the US but allowed in Europe. It’s definitely not preservatives and colorings though as they largely have zero calories. Europe is largely much more walking oriented, portions tend to be smaller, and there is less cultural inclusion of processed (high fat/high sugar) foods in the diet. I found it much easier to maintain my weight living in NYC than the suburbs because I walked everywhere.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
About a year and a half ago I moved to Spain. During that time I have lost about 40 pounds without controlling my eating or exercising more than usual. It should be noted that in the past few years I have also had a new job, 2 new kids, moved everyone to a new country as mentioned, and bought/renovated a new house. So stress could be a factor.

But I have alternated living in the US and internationally for the past 40 years. And around the time I turned 30 when I started packing on pounds more easily, I started noticing that every time I live outside the US I shed pounds effortlessly.

Serving sizes are also smaller, they walk a bunch more and are generally more active.

I've been going to Netherlands 1-2 times a year for a few years now for work and I instantly feel way fatter as soon as I land.

And yes, the quality of ingredients is better.

Reaction Score
Wendy's says we all got all wrong.

Me wonders if they had come out with a press release saying they planned on discounting prices during slow times how different would the narrative have been?

Hint, hint for every business. Customers 100% associate "dynamic pricing" or "surge pricing" as meaning the standard baseline price gets jacked up during times of higher demand. There is zero association of consumers getting discounts during lower demands.
Exactly, they would have gotten a very different reaction if they went the route of bars and restaurants and said they were starting a happy hour menu

Reaction Score
There are also plenty of colorings banned in the US but allowed in Europe. It’s definitely not preservatives and colorings though as they largely have zero calories. Europe is largely much more walking oriented, portions tend to be smaller, and there is less cultural inclusion of processed (high fat/high sugar) foods in the diet. I found it much easier to maintain my weight living in NYC than the suburbs because I walked everywhere.
When it comes to colorings/additives/preservatives, I don't think it's about calories exactly. Maybe the whole "gut biome" thing.

Generally speaking if you compare ingredients of similar products, there are far fewer ingredients in Spain and those ingredients have names anyone can recognize (e.g. wheat) as opposed to the names of a chemicals.

In my case, I gained weight while living in NYC even though I was walking 45 min each way to work.

Reaction Score
Elderly folks get out their house, have a cheap bite or cup of coffee
Thing is, it isn't even all that cheap anymore, especially considering what you get. I think a friend told me a Chipotle burrito cost them something like 15$ recently...I mean, come on. Might as well buy (better quality) ingredients at the super market and make it at home.

Reaction Score
Thing is, it isn't even all that cheap anymore, especially considering what you get. I think a friend told me a Chipotle burrito cost them something like 15$ recently...I mean, come on. Might as well buy (better quality) ingredients at the super market and make it at home.
I've always loved cooking and I've always loved restaurants. I still enjoy going out to nice restaurants for the whole experience and for some food I wouldn't typically make at home but I've drawn the line at $20 dollar counter service sandwiches and $35+ pizzas. They've jacked the prices to ridiculous levels and in many cases the quality and portion sizes have gone down...

I know costs have gone up but I also know the industry and there's some serious gouging going on. I make better grinders and deep dish at home. I love lox, the bakery by me charges $52 for a lb. of Atlantic Salmon lox. It costs me $10 to make Sockeye lox at home. They charge $40 for a dozen bagels. It's nuts.

Reaction Score
Let’s hope Chik-Fil-a does not pickup on this. Every New Haven Apizza should do this though. Friday nights and Saturday nights should command a premium.

Reaction Score

Doesn't matter where you live, just need to stay out of the middle of the grocery store. It's possible to only eat fresh meat and produce in the US also.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom