Watching the Master at Work | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Watching the Master at Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess Geno is not perfect like a lot of you think......I’d like to ask Shea why she always looks mad on the sideline. Anyone else notice that?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I guess Geno is not perfect like a lot of you think.I’d like to ask Shea why she always looks mad on the sideline. Anyone else notice that?
Nope!
ncw_a_ralph01_200.jpg

Reaction Score
I hardly think that Geno's statement will make it harder for AEH to get a scholarship. I heard the statement (before it was removed) and he basically said that she couldn't or wouldn't do what he asked of her. No surprise there. From this and the delay in announcing, I would suspect that he told her to decide if she wanted to change her ways or leave. She chose to leave.

Without any of the background or statements, another coach might first wonder why a player left the team in December and did not enroll elsewhere in January. But stuff happens, so they look at her game and skills and decide if she would fit their program. Leaving UConn meant it was "not a good fit", which is a more gracious way of saying what Geno said. Many (most) coaches run a less rigorous, less structured program and may believe she would flourish there. I would hope that AEH would be clearer on what she needs and wants from a program this time around - to herself and the program.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I guess Geno is not perfect like a lot of you think.I’d like to ask Shea why she always looks mad on the sideline. Anyone else notice that?

A misread. You don't stick around 10 years because your boss is an ogre. I'd say the look you refer to, and we have all seen it countless times, is concentration mixed with a little puzzlement or maybe quizzical. Geno gives his coaches a lot of autonomy which equates to responsibility which means they share game pressure and Shea is a very intense person.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I hardly think that Geno's statement will make it harder for AEH to get a scholarship. I heard the statement (before it was removed) and he basically said that she couldn't or wouldn't do what he asked of her. No surprise there. From this and the delay in announcing, I would suspect that he told her to decide if she wanted to change her ways or leave. She chose to leave.
Without any of the background or statements, another coach might first wonder why a player left the team in December and did not enroll elsewhere in January. But stuff happens, so they look at her game and skills and decide if she would fit their program. Leaving UConn meant it was "not a good fit", which is a more gracious way of saying what Geno said. Many (most) coaches run a less rigorous, less structured program and may believe she would flourish there. I would hope that AEH would be clearer on what she needs and wants from a program this time around - to herself and the program.
I disagree the statements are in direct contrast & Geno statement makes it clear that it was NOT AEH's decision to leave.

AEH said: “I just realized UConn wasn’t really a good fit for me

Then Geno said: It ( AEH transfer) had nothing to do with her liking it here, not fitting it, or playing time.
I just didn't want her here anymore"

Contrasting statements means more questions. If a HOF coach cannot get a players to do what he ask, some lesser (which is everyone) coaches will also pass on AEH. This is also not an ordinary transfer, if it were, AEH would already be enrolled somewhere.

Reaction Score
I think coaches would recognize that their program is different and would ask different things of a player. I doubt anyone is going to turn her away because Geno couldn't get her to do what he asked. I hope she recognizes what she wants that is different and is honest with herself and recruiters about getting the right program.
We don't know what the *something* he wanted was. The delay in announcing is what led me to believe it was a Geno ultimatum. Certainly he didn't want her as she was performing (Even though she got some minutes in earlier games before other freshmen)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think coaches would recognize that their program is different and would ask different things of a player. I doubt anyone is going to turn her away because Geno couldn't get her to do what he asked. I hope she recognizes what she wants that is different and is honest with herself and recruiters about getting the right program.
We don't know what the *something* he wanted was. The delay in announcing is what led me to believe it was a Geno ultimatum. Certainly he didn't want her as she was performing (Even though she got some minutes in earlier games before other freshmen)
Exactly: "We don't know what the *something* he (Geno) wanted was." But we do know that AEH failed to do *something* after multiple reminders from Geno. Do we really believe that the *something* was so "unique" to UCONN or Geno that no other coach in the country or program would ask AEH to do the exact same thing and actually cared if she did it? Consider @meyers7 post where he suggest that the *something* might not have been basketball related eg., going to class or attending a tutoring session. Any athlete who failed to do *something* after multiple reminders from the HC will definitely cause some other coaches to pause.

Reaction Score
Exactly: "We don't know what the *something* he (Geno) wanted was." But we do know that AEH failed to do *something* after multiple reminders from Geno. Do we really believe that the *something* was so "unique" to UCONN or Geno that no other coach in the country or program would ask AEH to do the exact same thing and actually cared if she did it? Consider @meyers7 post where he suggest that the *something* might not have been basketball related eg., going to class or attending a tutoring session. Any athlete who failed to do *something* after multiple reminders from the HC will definitely cause some other coaches to pause.
Interesting that you mention this because Geno in one of the post-game press conferences during her absence kind of went off on a tangent talking about how it was hard to find kids that want to be good basketball players and good students. In hindsight I guess we can pick apart Geno's pressers trying to figure out if he left us any clues as to what happened.

Reaction Score

Great points.... The only thing I would say is that people that talented are normally given the opportunity to (1) explain the situation, (2) admit they learned something and will be better and (3) other coaches would also love to have her flourish (fixed) in their system/program when Geno could not get her too. I think she will be fine and will get a scholarship somewhere else. Maybe we are all wondering if its at another top program however???

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
So this thread had devolved into yet another one to speculate about AEH? Time to move on and stop uniformed speculation about a student athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom