Watched the ND game 3 times and Im thinkin | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Watched the ND game 3 times and Im thinkin

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
This is a great play by ND. Mabrey sees that Lou, Crystal, MW and Gabby all have their back to the lane. Young moves high toward Ogunbowale, as if to set a screen. Gabby follows O. Crystal angles to pick up O. moving toward the baseline. This leaves the lane completely open. Young darts straight back to the basket and Mabrey makes a perfect skip pass, hooking around Phees. Crystal's back is to the basket. Young goes straight to the hoop.

I am not knowledgeable enough to say that this is a breakdown on D. Looks to me like a beautiful read by Mabrey, and great communication and execution by a highly skilled team playing against a very athletic and talented defense.

What a game!
To me the key to the play is that Young did not actually set the screen, but moved as if she was setting the screen. Gabby did not feel a screen and stayed with her man. Crystal seeing what looked like a screen made the switch and Young became free. It was more of a good play on ND part that bad defense. Crystal could have played off and been in better position, but that would have opened Young for the low lob. I don't remember what Pheesa did, but she should have shaded the post to force the pass outside.

Reaction Score
Not really. Crystal correctly switched onto Arike. Correct because the rule of thumb is the player closest to the basket is most dangerous. Young made the smartest play of all instead of going all the way up top to screen Gabby she cut it off short and came back down the lane.
Crystal for one didnt call out the screen or the switch because Gabby would have went with Young. Crystal had eyes on both players and Gabby just on Arike. Gabby was leaning towards Arike. It was Crystals call and it was the wrong call. Switching on that play puts your teammate in a huge disadvantage. Crystal would have been between Young and the basket.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Crystal for one didnt call out the screen or the switch because Gabby would have went with Young. Crystal had eyes on both players and Gabby just on Arike. Gabby was leaning towards Arike. It was Crystals call and it was the wrong call. Switching on that play puts your teammate in a huge disadvantage. Crystal would have been between Young and the basket.
Nah.. I realize you are trying to blame someone but no one is a fault when the offense runs a perfectively executed play. If Crystal moves over to defend Young, Arike gets a layup at the basket. Just because crystal has eyes on both players doesn't mean she can defend both of them. She did the right thing by defending the player closest to the basket.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nah.. I realize you are trying to blame someone but no one is a fault when the offense runs a perfectively executed play. If Crystal moves over to defend Young, Arike gets a layup at the basket. Just because crystal has eyes on both players doesn't mean she can defend both of them. She did the right thing by defending the player closest to the basket.
Who said Crystal defend both players. Gabby on top of screen and you would leave Young who is in the lane an open path to the basket. If Crystal would have called the pick and switch. Dont you think Gabby would have stayed with Young.

Reaction Score
Lou kept UConn in the game, so there would be a game to save.
Well she was the best player on the floor and is better than any player on either bench available to play or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom