Watch Duke Superstar Celeste Taylor Get Leveled & Injure Shoulder | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Watch Duke Superstar Celeste Taylor Get Leveled & Injure Shoulder

Reaction Score
To my eyes, Rice was simply going for the steal but her momentum took over (note: this was early in the game not some end of game/result already decided situation). It's always unfortunate for any injury but this was seems like an accidental collision with the unfortunate result of Taylor getting injured. Per the video, Rice seems quite concerned and I think almost all athletes share a mutual empathy for each other in regard to injuries. The refs have the luxury of seeing the play from different angles and in slow motion to make the call they feel is most appropriate. Prayers for a quick and speedy rehab/recovery for Celeste!

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
There wasn't any loose ball.
Taylor clearly had the ball in both hands.
The opponent tried to intercept but arrived late.
The opponent only has a right to grasp the ball to steal it at that point, not to batterTaylor like a linebacker.
Please watch the video more closely because it's clear as day.
Wow. That's one way to look at it. It was a long pass. Both players went for the ball. Their paths intersected. I don't see how there's any other way to look at it.

sun

Reaction Score
It's too coincidental that Taylor said that she transferred from Texas to Duke because it was important that she be closer to home.

Too bad that she didn't end up being as close to home as UConn is.
Just another reason to wonder why a transfer to UConn wasn't worked out.
Maybe if Geno had considered the worst case scenarios that UConn has experienced this season.
It's also probably hard for UConn to compete with Duke academically.

11. Celeste Taylor, Duke Blue Devils, G, jr.

Previous school: Texas Longhorns
2020-21 stats: 12.3 PPG, 4.9 RPG, 2.0 APG

Taylor's grit and intensity was on full display and was a key reason Texas made its surprise run to the Elite Eight last March. She said getting closer to her New York home was important. At Duke, she will be an essential piece of Kara Lawson's rebuilt roster. -- Creme

Reaction Score
At the angle of the collision, it is obvious she was going for the ball. There is nothing dirty about that. I don't see any difference in that then a player diving for a loose ball and accidentally clipping another player.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I had a collision somewhat like that the last basketball game I played. I had already subluxed that shoulder once, and it happened again on that play. The worst part about it was that I knew it was going to happen and there was nothing I could do about it. I was reaching for the ball, the other guy came from behind me and caught my arm just below the shoulder. Out it popped.

Reaction Score
I think that she used excessive force by coming on at full speed like a battering ram.
That would seem to indicate that she used extremely poor judgment.
In that respect it was her fault because it wasn't a clean play - it was reckless judgment, much like reckless driving.
Is it poor judgement to play hard? She was chasing the ball. Obviously, she thought she could get to it. I don't see the comparison to reckless driving. I think you are reaching.

sun

Reaction Score
Is it poor judgement to play hard? She was chasing the ball. Obviously, she thought she could get to it. I don't see the comparison to reckless driving. I think you are reaching.
Denying that Rice did nothing wrong to deserve a technical foul instead of a normal interference foul is just plain wrong.

Reaction Score
Imagine if such a reckless injury ever happened to one of the UConn players.

I came across this video of former LUHI standout and U16 & U19 Team USA Olympic winner Celeste Taylor getting injured in a game against Syracuse on Jan. 9th.
She's been in a sling and hasn't played since.
I hadn't heard of her before and looking up more info. found that she was a 5 star Class of 2019 prospect of Long Island Lutheran HS.
She doesn't seem to have ever been recruited by UConn.
At least that's what the ESPN HS scouting page indicates.
How did UConn miss out on her?

HS scouting page:

Bio:

Duke Stats after transferring:

Yeah. I was watching that game when it happened. Feel bad for both players. Rice because she was making a play on the ball. Nothing wrong with that. You want and encourage players to play hard and go for the ball. In situations like this Rice was being aggressive and playing hard. I feel bad for Taylor because she got hurt. That young lady was having a solid start to her year. Now she is down for few a games. Taylor, in that situation, was like a wide receiver going across the middle and Rice was the DB.

Reaction Score
It's too coincidental that Taylor said that she transferred from Texas to Duke because it was important that she be closer to home.

Too bad that she didn't end up being as close to home as UConn is.
Just another reason to wonder why a transfer to UConn wasn't worked out.
Maybe if Geno had considered the worst case scenarios that UConn has experienced this season.
It's also probably hard for UConn to compete with Duke academically.

11. Celeste Taylor, Duke Blue Devils, G, jr.

Previous school: Texas Longhorns
2020-21 stats: 12.3 PPG, 4.9 RPG, 2.0 APG

Taylor's grit and intensity was on full display and was a key reason Texas made its surprise run to the Elite Eight last March. She said getting closer to her New York home was important. At Duke, she will be an essential piece of Kara Lawson's rebuilt roster. -- Creme

1) No it's not too coincidental that Taylor said she wanted to be closer to home. She spent 2 seasons in Texas which is ample time to realize that it wasn't the right fit for that reason. Especially over the past 2 seasons, a lot of players have entered the portal and opted to be closer to home.

2) This is a lot of hindsight is 20/20 thinking. How was Geno to know/expect that the team would be in the situation they are in?

At the time she entered the portal, UConn was guard heavy as it is with Westbrook, Beuckers, Williams, Muhl, Fudd, Ducharme, and Poffenbarger on the roster. UConn's need at the time was in the front court and they went after Juhasz.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
UCONN did not miss out on Celeste. Celeste's father used to occasionally (maybe still does ) post here on the BY. I don't recall the details but the family had strong ties to the University of Texas and made it know very early on in the recruiting process that UCONN was not a possibility. At USA basketball, Texas and even in AAU for the Philly Belles Celeste was the ultimate winning role player. What I mean by that and it was intended to be a great compliment is that she provided what ever the team needed to win. If the team need to lock down a hot shooter Celeste did that. If the team needed deep shooting she did that as well. She was never the "star" on any of these teams but she was essential to winning basketball. Celeste would have done extremely well at UCONN. Unless my memory is going bad she played U16, U17 & U19 for USA Basketball.

Get well soon Celeste.

That hit was clearly accidental but what I appreciate the least about the incident is Rice's reaction and lack of concern. Rice should have been sent home IMO.

Coco:
Good memory. A few other things....
  • She played on a very good Long Island Lutheran team with, among others, Princeton's Grace Stone. Saw an absolutely dynamite HS game between LI Lutheran and the superb Manasquan HS team led by Dara Mabrey and Faith Masonius.
  • Taylor and her dad took an unofficial visits to ND the same weekend as Diamond Miller.
  • She was recruited heavily by then Texas coach Karen Alston, who was known as a good recruiter.

Hope she's ok.......

Reaction Score
Coco:
Good memory. A few other things....
  • She played on a very good Long Island Lutheran team with, among others, Princeton's Grace Stone. Saw an absolutely dynamite HS game between LI Lutheran and the superb Manasquan HS team led by Dara Mabrey and Faith Masonius.
  • Taylor and her dad took an unofficial visits to ND the same weekend as Diamond Miller.
  • She was recruited heavily by then Texas coach Karen Alston, who was known as a good recruiter.

Hope she's ok.......
That must have been something.

sun

Reaction Score
1) No it's not too coincidental that Taylor said she wanted to be closer to home. She spent 2 seasons in Texas which is ample time to realize that it wasn't the right fit for that reason. Especially over the past 2 seasons, a lot of players have entered the portal and opted to be closer to home.

2) This is a lot of hindsight is 20/20 thinking. How was Geno to know/expect that the team would be in the situation they are in?

At the time she entered the portal, UConn was guard heavy as it is with Westbrook, Beuckers, Williams, Muhl, Fudd, Ducharme, and Poffenbarger on the roster. UConn's need at the time was in the front court and they went after Juhasz.
We also don't know why Taylor didn't receive an offer from UConn in high school.
Her class would have started the year that Westbrook transferred but sat out.
For some reason Geno accepted a transfer guard when Taylor could have been recruited during the previous 2 years.
Then it seems that we didn't have enough firepower during the FF last year, Makurat was listed as a guard but there were still more roster spaces to fill since there were only 11 players. Last year there was 12 including Autumn who was never recruited or produced.
Why wasn't Taylor offered with so many open roster spots, before Westbrook had even transferred?
It's only a question, not an indictment, and we'll probably never know the answer unless Taylor or Geno were asked.

Reaction Score
We also don't know why Taylor didn't receive an offer from UConn in high school.
Her class would have started the year that Westbrook transferred but sat out.
For some reason Geno accepted a transfer guard when Taylor could have been recruited during the previous 2 years.
Then it seems that we didn't have enough firepower during the FF last year, Makurat was listed as a guard but there were still more roster spaces to fill since there were only 11 players. Last year there was 12 including Autumn who was never recruited or produced.
Why wasn't Taylor offered with so many open roster spots, before Westbrook had even transferred?
It's only a question, not an indictment, and we'll probably never know the answer unless Taylor or Geno were asked.

1) Did you see posts earlier from CocoHusky and Dillon77? They both noted that the Taylor family didn't have any interest in UConn. If not, you're missing the key answer to your question.

2). UConn obviously had interest in Taylor based on this information. The Taylor family opted to go in a different direction.

It's not that you're indicting anyone but you've missed the answer that has been provided. Their replies are visible for everyone to see in this thread.

sun

Reaction Score
1) Did you see posts earlier from CocoHusky and Dillon77? They both noted that the Taylor family didn't have any interest in UConn. If not, you're missing the key answer to your question.

2). UConn obviously had interest in Taylor based on this information. The Taylor family opted to go in a different direction.

It's not that you're indicting anyone but you've missed the answer that has been provided. Their replies are visible for everyone to see in this thread.
No one named CocoHusky has posted on this thread.
Dillion77 offered anecodotes regarding other schools that does not include UConn scouting or making an offer.
And you speculated without providing any hard evidence or facts about UConn's recruitment effort.
I'm not asking about hearsay or speculation, but the truth about whether Taylor was scouted, approached, contacted or made an offer that's not on the record and the scouting report.
I'm trying to be objective in an effort to determine facts as opposed to fiction and speculation.

Sure she was recruited by Texas and perhaps even ND.
But was she contacted by Geno and the UConn program?
ESPN doesn't mention any offer made by UConn.
Maybe she wasn't interested, but that would mean that Geno had expressed interest which there's no record of.
AFAIK there's only speculation about it at this time.

Reaction Score
No one named CocoHusky has posted on this thread.
Dillion77 offered anecodotes regarding other schools that does not include UConn scouting or making an offer.
And you speculated without providing any hard evidence or facts about UConn's recruitment effort.
I'm not asking about hearsay or speculation, but the truth about whether Taylor was scouted, approached, contacted or made an offer that's not on the record and the scouting report.
I'm trying to be objective in an effort to determine facts as opposed to fiction and speculation.

Sure she was recruited by Texas and perhaps even ND.
But was she contacted by Geno and the UConn program?
ESPN doesn't mention any offer made by UConn.
Maybe she wasn't interested, but that would mean that Geno had expressed interest which there's no record of.
AFAIK there's only speculation about it at this time.

UCONN did not miss out on Celeste. Celeste's father used to occasionally (maybe still does ) post here on the BY. I don't recall the details but the family had strong ties to the University of Texas and made it know very early on in the recruiting process that UCONN was not a possibility. At USA basketball, Texas and even in AAU for the Philly Belles Celeste was the ultimate winning role player. What I mean by that and it was intended to be a great compliment is that she provided what ever the team needed to win. If the team need to lock down a hot shooter Celeste did that. If the team needed deep shooting she did that as well. She was never the "star" on any of these teams but she was essential to winning basketball. Celeste would have done extremely well at UCONN. Unless my memory is going bad she played U16, U17 & U19 for USA Basketball.

Get well soon Celeste.

That hit was clearly accidental but what I appreciate the least about the incident is Rice's reaction and lack of concern. Rice should have been sent home IMO.

Here is what CocoHusky said in response to your comment.

You had asked the question, people provided insight that I would rely on as your answer. I also would take CocoHusky's word as fact as they have been a long time member on the board and has extensive knowledge on UConn's history. They don't make things up or use heresay when they comment.

sun

Reaction Score
Here is what CocoHusky said in response to your comment.

You had asked the question, people provided insight that I would rely on as your answer. I also would take CocoHusky's word as fact as they have been a long time member on the board and has extensive knowledge on UConn's history. They don't make things up or use heresay when they comment.
No one with the screen name CocoHusky has posted on this thread.
Please provide a post # as a reference for your statement.
Then at least I'll know who CocoHusky is.

What I found in print is that Taylor made one visit to UTexas in 2017 and felt that it was the right place for her, so she committed early.
I read a post on the BY mentioning that Daley had scouted her in Jan., 2017 in NJ.
And in 7/2019 she played on Team USA with Paige, and with Walz as the coach.

I think that most students make the final decision about where to attend college mostly independent of their parents.
While parents offer advice, the student will have & express their own preference.
And that's probably also the reason why she eventually decided to transfer to Duke.
She simply chose between the schools that presented her with the opportunity that most appealed to her.

Maybe UConn didn't have any appeal for her for personal reasons, or perhaps UConn didn't express serious interest before she made her early decision.
Like I already mentioned, unless her or Geno (or Daley) answer the question we may never know what transpired between her and UConn, if anything.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Post #5 in this thread. CocoHusky is one of the most active posters on this board.

Reaction Score

What I found in print is that Taylor made one visit to UTexas in 2017 and felt that it was the right place for her, so she committed early.
I read a post on the BY mentioning that Daley had scouted her in Jan., 2017 in NJ.

I think that most students make the final decision about where to attend college mostly independent of their parents.
While parents offer advice, the student will have & express their own preference.
And that's probably also the reason why she eventually decided to transfer to Duke.
She simply chose between the schools that presented her with the opportunity that most appealed to her.

Maybe UConn didn't have any appeal for her for personal reasons, or perhaps UConn didn't express serious interest before she made her early decision.
Like I already mentioned, unless her or Geno (or Daley) answer the question we may never know what transpired between her and UConn, if anything.
Check the post under your second post.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Coco has posted at least three times in this thread.

you see posts with the same attention to detail that you watch basketball games :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Maybe these board features are causing some of OP's ...er, confusion -
Remove ignored content
If checked, the content from users that you ignore will be completely removed.
2-way ignore:
If checked, the users that you ignore won't be able to see your content at all.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom