Watch Ashlynn Shade in State Championship Saturday | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Watch Ashlynn Shade in State Championship Saturday

Reaction Score
I keep saying it but we need players who can make plays against top level competition and Ashlyn and KK are both capable of doing that. I love their motors, their athleticism and their skill set. That turnaround jumper of Ashlyn's is an advanced move and it's near impossible to stop if she can consistently make that shot. If she can do that she probably can do a pull up jumper as well and she has a great handle. Maybe her biggest strength is her motor. She is clearly for real.

Reaction Score
It was a broad comparison--excellent player, State Champion, and UConn player.
OK I was at work tonight and stepped away when they made the comment. Loved Faris in high school, there offense was very precise with lots of cuts and excellent guards who knew how to pass. Lots of wide open looks and lay ups.

Reaction Score
I'm kind of glad Indiana went to classes, or else my little old school of less than 400 kids would be grouped in the same Sectional (1st round of the tourney) as Shade and Noblesville.:)
But if they had always had “class basketball” the Milan HS story would have lacked the big drama and therefore no point to the movie “Hoosiers”. That is why the move to class basketball was so controversial and still is.

Reaction Score
But if they had always had “class basketball” the Milan HS story would have lacked the big drama and therefore no point to the movie “Hoosiers”. That is why the move to class basketball was so controversial and still is.
I believe I have posted this before here but Milan HS was no surprise at all in the 53-54 season when they won the state championship. Yes, they were a small school but they had made the Indiana FF the year before and had pretty much their whole team back the next year. Made for a great movie but they were not the “small, underdog school came out of nowhere” story that the fictionalized version depicted; they were very much a known and acknowledged legitimate threat for the title.

Reaction Score
That Milan victory in 1954 was the only reason Indiana didn’t go to classes 60 years ago. Once they integrated the sport, though, it was obvious that such a happenstance could never be repeated. Oscar Robertson’s two state championships were 1955 and 56.

Reaction Score
Exactly, it's why I wish they would have tweaked the tournament before going all in on classes. And I wish we could do an open tournament with all teams still competing in the original alignments, then having a seperate class tournament for the smaller schools after

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Asked about Shade's 4A tournament run (averaged 22.6 over seven games), Buckley referred back to an 11-point loss to Zionsville in mid-January. That late-season setback served as a turning point for the entire team, including Shade, whom Buckley challenged to not settle offensively. "No one can guard you," she told her star player.

"Ashlynn really accepted that challenge. She's been unbelievable," Buckley said. "Don't get me wrong. She's so good all the time. But she's been next level. Totally unstoppable. I've never seen anything like it."

"If you haven't seen her play, you probably have no idea (what she's capable of)," Buckley said. "But we see it everyday, so sometimes we forget that like, she's ridiculous."

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
FMmu7LtXoAUBg6C

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm trying to remember when I last saw a guard with jump-shot elevation like Shade's. Deanna Nolan comes to mind though Nolan was probably a bit more athletic and taller.

Reaction Score
I heard her say that. Was Faris as accurate a shooter as Shade? I've been over in the chat room reporting to myself. :confused:
No, KF had a fundamentally flawed shot, with too much arm and not enough wrist, somewhat like ONO - aim has to be perfect with that type shot. She shot a little better as a Senior but not great. She could make all her layups though, no blown bunnies

Reaction Score
This was rare - having a state championship game where a guard was able to post up without an opposing big able to block her shot. While I would have loved to see evidence that she is also a solid 3-point shooter, outside shots come and go but basketball IQ stays forever. One of the few players I would say is as fierce as Nika - with all her skills, maybe more so.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
No, KF had a fundamentally flawed shot, with too much arm and not enough wrist, somewhat like ONO - aim has to be perfect with that type shot. She shot a little better as a Senior but not great. She could make all her layups though, no blown bunnies
A little better but not great???

As a senior Faris shot 53% from the floor and made 41.5% of her 3-point shots. Fundamentally flawed shot or not, those are terrific numbers.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This was rare - having a state championship game where a guard was able to post up without an opposing big able to block her shot. While I would have loved to see evidence that she is also a solid 3-point shooter, outside shots come and go but basketball IQ stays forever. One of the few players I would say is as fierce as Nika - with all her skills, maybe more so.

Three-point shooting might the weakest part of Shade's game and even that is good, 36% throughout her high school career. And with her work ethic and ability, I'd be shocked if she doesn't improve.

Reaction Score
Love that she is tough as nails! Got that heart. Talent is nice but that heart is going to be the key. Great addition and nice game. Welcome to UConn

Reaction Score
Saturday Ashlynn and her Noblesville team will compete for the IHSAA State Championship.

You can watch / stream with these links - hopefully.

AT&T U-verse 1749

DirecTV 671-4

DirecTV Stream 671-4

IHSAA Champions Network -Webstream: For viewers outside of the Bally Sports Indiana (BSIN) coverage area, a live stream will be available at IHSAAtv.org. For those within the BSIN coverage area, the stream will be available only on delayed basis following the conclusion of the telecast

Games are usually free to stream outside the state of Indiana via Bally Sports.

Indiana High School Athletic Association, Inc. - look for the link on the right side for IHSAA Champions Network

You can also download the IHSAA TV app from the Apple store

Sorry I can't post direct links.
Thanks for this. I did watch the game and what a prospect she is !! She looks UCONN ready now, and she is only a junior in HS. Speed, strength, court vision, great passing, jumping and shooting. Not sure she ever sat down. A natural leader. She was playing in the post at 5'10" and dominated with fade away jump shots. Led the game with 31 points and team won Division IV state championship. First time her high school had even been to the tournament in more than 30 years. So, she is a force. She will be a super teammate, just like the players at UCONN now.

Reaction Score
May have been said earlier, but so satisfying that Uconn's getting Shade (and Patterson) right out of the Irish' (and Hoosiers') backyard :)
You guys can quit recruiting the state anytime....LOL, even us Boiler fans would be OK with it too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom