Washington Mystics @ Atlanta Dream - 9/04/18 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Washington Mystics @ Atlanta Dream - 9/04/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
So do we give Karen Aston credit for preparing Atkins so well for the pros or demerits for not making better use of her at Texas?

Or both?

Good ballplayers become even better ballplayers when surrounded by talented teammates. Not a very profound pronouncement, but such is the case with Ms Atkins. She is incredibly talented and fits seamlessly with the Mystics. She is the difference/difference maker for Washington this season. She is to this Mystics team what Nykesha Sales was to the 1995 undefeated magical Huskies.

Reaction Score
I live here in Atlanta and watched on TV. I've not watched the WNBA in a few years but decided to watch a few games over the past few weeks since it was such a competitive season. The Dream and Mystics didn't disappoint. EDD wasn't herself but played a good game overall. Toliver has always been hot and cold with me but she was solid. Atkins sealed the win for them last night.

Thibault and Collen are both terrific coaches who have done great work with their rosters. It seemed to me a few years back that WNBA franchises weren't really making good coaching decisions and it was harming the quality of play. Those two last night, plus Miller at Connecticut, have shown how cohesive teams can be difficult to defeat many nights.

My hats off to both franchises.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I live here in Atlanta and watched on TV. I've not watched the WNBA in a few years but decided to watch a few games over the past few weeks since it was such a competitive season. The Dream and Mystics didn't disappoint. EDD wasn't herself but played a good game overall. Toliver has always been hot and cold with me but she was solid. Atkins sealed the win for them last night.

Thibault and Collen are both terrific coaches who have done great work with their rosters. It seemed to me a few years back that WNBA franchises weren't really making good coaching decisions and it was harming the quality of play. Those two last night, plus Miller at Connecticut, have shown how cohesive teams can be difficult to defeat many nights.

If you liked the 1st game, you should have gone gaga over the second??

By the way, maybe some votes for Sue Bird as Coach of the Year? ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Five years ago, I found half of the teams to be unwatchable. The offenses, in particular, were not very good. It was a huge step down from watching the UConn women. Now, the level of play is much better, and the games are exciting. This is a really good product now.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Five years ago, I found half of the teams to be unwatchable. The offenses, in particular, were not very good. It was a huge step down from watching the UConn women. Now, the level of play is much better, and the games are exciting. This is a really good product now.

Totally agree. There are relatively few WNBA games that are not fun to watch for me or at least have players who I take interest in. I hope the best kept secret in America leaks out.

Reaction Score
I was reading about the Seattle/Phoenix game and wow, it sounded terrific. Count me as one of those who figured DT and Bird were on the downside of their careers until I watched them in the 2016 Olympics and was stunned at how good they looked. They seem to have caught a second wind. I've read about their changes in nutrition and fitness and whatever they are doing is apparently working well. Plus Hughes in Seattle is a proven winner.

I didn't really ever find the games unwatchable but rather I wasn't interested. I watched the early days of the WNBA during the Comets run and even a season or two afterwards until I just became disinterested. I did watch the finals in 16 and 17, both years were sensational. I agree the quality of play and coaching is much higher than in years past.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was reading about the Seattle/Phoenix game and wow, it sounded terrific. Count me as one of those who figured DT and Bird were on the downside of their careers until I watched them in the 2016 Olympics and was stunned at how good they looked. They seem to have caught a second wind. I've read about their changes in nutrition and fitness and whatever they are doing is apparently working well. Plus Hughes in Seattle is a proven winner.

I didn't really ever find the games unwatchable but rather I wasn't interested. I watched the early days of the WNBA during the Comets run and even a season or two afterwards until I just became disinterested. I did watch the finals in 16 and 17, both years were sensational. I agree the quality of play and coaching is much higher than in years past.
Sue and Diana are on top of the hill, not over it. Amazing at nearly 38 and 36.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Sue and Diana are on top of the hill, not over it. Amazing at nearly 38 and 36.

It is amazing. The phrase "ordinary" or "typical", has never been used in the same sentence in reference to, or to describe Sue or Dee. Both of these UConn Mount Rushmore enshrinees are like a fine wine, they get better with age. What player in the league is playing better than those two? :rolleyes: We can debate who the other two are.

Reaction Score
It is amazing. The phrase "ordinary" or "typical", has never been used in the same sentence in reference to, or to describe Sue or Dee. Both of these UConn Mount Rushmore enshrinees are like a fine wine, they get better with age. What player in the league is playing better than those two? :rolleyes: We can debate who the other two are.
The MVP who played 40 minutes, and kept them in the game so Sue could have her moment.

Reaction Score
It is a better product now. Unfortunately the Dream without Angel lost my interest and didn't have enough to beat the Mystics. Even though McCoughtry is past her prime it would have been a lot more interesting if she could have played. Without her I didn't find the Dream interesting enough to watch though I did watch one of the five.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom