Was Walz's game plan Legit? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Was Walz's game plan Legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Game plan was legit. Doris stated how Louisville was taking away space at the feet so BG couldn't move. After the game I watched the UCONN/Baylor matchup again and it was true. When UCONN doubled or tripled BG she still was able to move her feet. Not so against Louisville. It also helps that you blister the nets from the outside. I came away with three things from this game:

1. Moment in time! Great game by Louisville and ridiculous outside shooting! 64%!!!! R u kidding me!!

2. What UCONN did with back to back undefeated seasons and national championships is hard!! Kudos to GA and staff.

3. BG's effectiveness in the WNBA? She may get triple teamed and mugged nightly! See Plennette Pierson or Kara Braxton!! How will she respond?

Reaction Score
This is precisely how an inferior team can beat a vastly superior team. As long as the refs continue to allow it, games will be semi-controlled muggings.
I think at this point in the season , we should all realize that this type of extreme physical play has been allowed across the board in wcbb. Not one announcer has been willing to talk about it until just recently. And since it evens the playing field, I'm sure ratings will be good for the rest of the tournament. Doris finally mentioned briefly yesterday, that women can't finish through contact as well as the men.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
It appears that the rule for this tournament is to "let them play the game". They have take that approach in the past. But not always.

This concept raises some interesting philosophical questions. :) It would seem to me that if "the game" involves calling fouls (and it certainly does), then letting the players play without calling the fouls is not really letting them play "the game." And, in fact, could lead to dangerous play and injuries.

On the other hand, we see games in which the officials seem to become overly zealous, calling a foul on almost every layup. And then there are the games where it seems that one team is constantly committing fouls but the referees rarely notice the other team's aggressive play (I think we all know which team I'm talking about).

After watching almost every UConn game now for 10 years (I rarely watched basketball before that), it's patently obvious that the game is very physical and a foul could be called on almost any play, especially those under the basket (and especially when the Huskies are playing an aggressively physical team). Sometimes I wonder if the rules need revision to clarify this situation. OTOH, the game has certainly stood the test of time and a lot of what we see as bad officiating could also be frustration when the calls go against us.

Reaction Score
I disagree with those who question Walz' tactical smarts here. He analyzed the talents he had and devised a game plan ("claw and 1") that maximized his chances to win.

Was he lucky? Of course! His team came in averaging 5 three's a game, and tallied 16 on 64% shooting percentage - 16 points higher than their 2 pt percentage.

So what?

His plan - tactically - was not dissimilar to UConn's earlier this season - a defender front and back, straight up to avoid fouling the shooter, with weakside help. Unfortunately, UConn "for some unknown reason" (paraphrasing, if not quoting coach Auriemma) abandoned it in the second half, despite a successful result. Louisville did not.

Set aside the officiating - it is what it is. We've all seen it, experienced it. Did we see anything worse from these three than what we've already seen from Dennis DeMayo, Dee Kantner, Lisa Mattingly and Bonita Spence?

To me, to focus there is just wrong.

All the credit in the world to Louisville's coach and his players for an astonishing game. From Slaughter's and the Schimmel sisters' threes to Shoni's unbelievable blind "and 1" over Griner.

And to Monique Reid who stepped to the foul line with 2 seconds to go, down 1, staring at a 1 and 1 - after having missed the front end of the same just 29 seconds earlier. Knowing that if she missed the first, her team loses (for perspective please see UConn - Notre Dame). This time, she stepped up, made BOTH and sealed one of the greatest upsets in WCBB history.

Too bad - I liked the idea that if Notre Dame were to somehow get to the championship game, Baylor would probably send who is now the remaining "one to watch" off to the WNBA without a championship...

Reaction Score
And to Monique Reid who stepped to the foul line with 2 seconds to go, down 1, staring at a 1 and 1 - after having missed the front end of the same just 29 seconds earlier. Knowing that if she missed the first, her team loses (for perspective please see UConn - Notre Dame). This time, she stepped up, made BOTH and sealed one of the greatest upsets in WCBB history.

Reid had two shots, not 1-and-1. Still a lot of pressure but not nearly as much as 1-and-1.

Reaction Score
Reid had two shots, not 1-and-1. Still a lot of pressure but not nearly as much as 1-and-1.

Thought so - but then I thought I later heard ESPN saying it was a one and one - thanks for the correction.

Absolutely agreed - knowing she only needed 1 of 2 to tie makes a huge difference.

But the pressure on that first one knowing that she'd just missed, and that if she did so again, she'd absolutely have to hit the second was still massive...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, I have a simple question as one who watched only the last quarter of the game. Apparently, in the part of the game that I didn't watch, Schoni Schimmel got a technical for taunting Griner. If that is the case, why didn't the T that she got along with Sims for the incident late in the game result in her being ejected then for 2 technical fouls?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Thought so - but then I thought I later heard ESPN saying it was a one and one - thanks for the correction.

Absolutely agreed - knowing she only needed 1 of 2 to tie makes a huge difference.

But the pressure on that first one knowing that she'd just missed, and that if she did so again, she'd absolutely have to hit the second was still massive...
I think they were referring to the previous trip to the foul line when Reid missed the front end of a 1 and 1.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, I have a simple question as one who watched only the last quarter of the game. Apparently, in the part of the game that I didn't watch, Schoni Schimmel got a technical for taunting Griner. If that is the case, why didn't the T that she got along with Sims for the incident late in the game result in her being ejected then for 2 technical fouls?

Schimmel did not get a technical for taunting Griner, though probably should have.

Reaction Score

She didn't get a T for taunting BG

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Shoni did not receive a technical after taunting Griner although one clearly should have been called.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Physical play - talk to players back in the day, and it ain't different. Heck, as Kara about fouls/mugging etc.

I haven't researched officiating recently, but I do know there's been a huge change at the NCAA in the last few years as it pertains to wbball - Scottie Rogers, top Media person, leaves somewhat oddly. Dr. Brand dies, VP Sue Donohoe, who initiated the "transparency" in the selection process by creating the mock brackets, leaves somewhat oddly. Supervisor of officials, Mary Struckhoff, who also pushed for more transparency/evaluations/new blood, leaves somewhat oddly. Greg Shaheen is ousted.... And that only what I, as an outsider, know about.

Reaction Score

She did not get a T for the Griner taunt.

Reaction Score
I disagree with those who question Walz' tactical smarts here. He analyzed the talents he had and devised a game plan ("claw and 1") that maximized his chances to win.

Was he lucky? Of course! His team came in averaging 5 three's a game, and tallied 16 on 64% shooting percentage - 16 points higher than their 2 pt percentage.

So what?

His plan - tactically - was not dissimilar to UConn's earlier this season - a defender front and back, straight up to avoid fouling the shooter, with weakside help. Unfortunately, UConn "for some unknown reason" (paraphrasing, if not quoting coach Auriemma) abandoned it in the second half, despite a successful result. Louisville did not.

Set aside the officiating - it is what it is. We've all seen it, experienced it. Did we see anything worse from these three than what we've already seen from Dennis DeMayo, Dee Kantner, Lisa Mattingly and Bonita Spence?

To me, to focus there is just wrong.

All the credit in the world to Louisville's coach and his players for an astonishing game. From Slaughter's and the Schimmel sisters' threes to Shoni's unbelievable blind "and 1" over Griner.

Too bad - I liked the idea that if Notre Dame were to somehow get to the championship game, Baylor would probably send who is now the remaining "one to watch" off to the WNBA without a championship...
I agree Walz' plan was masterful as was his players carrying it out to the last second without losing their concentration. But, and I'll have to view the game again to be sure, the defenders were not just fronting and backing Griner. They were giving her every cheap shot they could muster. Fist to the neck, flailing fingers in the face, etc. Griner isn't strong or bulky enough to live through that. The point is, lots of illegal tactics were used as opposed to just crowding her.

Shoni's, as you called it, blind and 1 shot will be remembered for a long, long time. And it was pure skill, not luck. For it to happen at such a critical moment, and considering who was defending it, well, just a magnificent moment in basketball history.

And the two magical clutch foul shots, made by a poor foul shooter who was put in the spotlight after a long, injury ridden, less than illustrious career. One can't help but feel good about a player who persevered, conquered her limitations, and came out a winner.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Physical play - talk to players back in the day, and it ain't different. Heck, as Kara about fouls/mugging etc.

I haven't researched officiating recently, but I do know there's been a huge change at the NCAA in the last few years as it pertains to wbball - Scottie Rogers, top Media person, leaves somewhat oddly. Dr. Brand dies, VP Sue Donohoe, who initiated the "transparency" in the selection process by creating the mock brackets, leaves somewhat oddly. Supervisor of officials, Mary Struckhoff, who also pushed for more transparency/evaluations/new blood, leaves somewhat oddly. Greg Shaheen is ousted.... And that only what I, as an outsider, know about.

TJI - thanks for posting this. I knew about Dr. Brand, but had no idea that there had been so much turnover, much less that any of it might be out of the ordinary. Anybody else have any info?

HGN

Reaction Score
Walz's game plan was very legit...... Did Louisville foul Griner a few times........Absolutely. And the ref's never called it. It's the same game plan that Muffet uses against UConn. Have your players play the opponent physically , but complain when they do the same to you. Have you ever sat and watched a ND vs UConn game and said that ND players never seem to foul UConn , but UConn players can't even get near Diggins without a whistle ?? Walz even complained when he thought a couple of his own players got fouled. Walz forced the ref's to either blow or swallow their whistle.

It was a legit game plan. Fortunately for him and Louisville, it worked in his favor all game long.

Reaction Score
Pershaps it was covered in the game thread but, was the coverage of BG legal?

Obviously, the Cards were willing to sacrifice A LOT of fouls but, was the strategy "You can't call 'em all?

PS: I have no knowledge of the finer point but, appeared to me that LOU was fouling BG fon about every play, no?

PPS: I wouldn't want to see the same treatment on Stefanie Dolson 0 Though I KNOW she gets banged around every game.

PPPS: I was happy to see Baylor eliminated.

it was legit as long as there is no grabbing or pushing off a spot they both have a right to go to a spot..what they really were trying to do is take up her feet space so she couldn't move..i know that sounds stupid but it is not the first time it has been done,one time she almost fell out of bounds because she couldn't keep her balance..

i truly believe that the only way womens basketball is going to get bigger is by having these upsets of the higher ranked teams..what we need is better teams at the bottom of the rankings

Reaction Score
Brand was not triple teamed, he was double teamed. He was guarded by our center and as soon as he got the ball the forward on that side of the court guarded him as well. He was defended tightly but he was definitely not mugged. Our remaining three players played zone on Duke's 4. It was a masterful piece of coaching by Calhoun.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game, but ... Walz basically said I am going to let you play 4 against 2.5 players on offense but you do not get Griner. And Kim and Baylor did not step up to the plate. Junk defenses have existed since the first basketball was tossed up, and sometimes they work. I would guess Kim should have moved Griner further from the lane and worked the 4 on 3 to create serious mismatches and a lot of lay-ups.
And as others have said - if a team hits 16 of 25 on threes against you the chance of you winning the game is pretty low. Seems to me that Uconn experienced that on at least one occasion in the NCAAs and at least once in the Big East tournament.
As for the physicality - post play is always physical, especially in the NCAAs and refs on both the men's and women's side have a tough time - you do not want to turn the game completely into a free throw shooting contest, but you have to keep control. I did see the earlier clip of SS jawing at Griner after the 'and 1' and thought a T or at least a stern warning should have been issued then. The later double T was probably specifically a result of that earlier situation not causing any reaction from the refs. Louisville certainly had a ton of fouls called on them and lost three starters, and I think Baylor benefitted from the no calls in the last ten minutes as well, as from the clips they were giving it out pretty well in the last 10 minutes.
I don't care for what happens with the clutching and bumping of cutters in the game, but it happens in all team sports and at all levels. Makes for a less 'pretty' game, but it is what it is. What is bad in WCBB is the inconsistency within games and the occasional absolute howler of a missed call. That drives coaches, players, and fans crazy because they can't adjust when the standards vary minute to minute.

Reaction Score
Shoni's, as you called it, blind and 1 shot will be remembered for a long, long time. And it was pure skill, not luck.

Agreed. She is irrepressible and undeniably talented. A talent and coach most likely perfectly matched.

I think they were referring to the previous trip to the foul line when Reid missed the front end of a 1 and 1.
Ice - you're right. That's what I get for watching SportsCenter half awake... :confused:

Reaction Score
I realize that my opinion on this is not shared by many, or even most, but here goes: I not only think Walz's plan was legit...it is exactly what most of us would call for if we coached against Baylor, just as, incidentally, so many coaches do when game planning against us - a tactic that certainly derailed a large portion of Stewie's Freshman year in particular. The question would not even be raised, in my opinion, if such a strategy were employed by, say, a Boeheim or a Pitino against a dominant post player on the mens' side. We tend, I think, to get stuck in the old ways of thinking about this sport as "girls'" basketball...it's not, not at the highest level. No double standard is required here...this is a young womens' hard-nosed game today, with high stakes and high potential rewards. The pressure to win at this level is huge, and the players, in my opinion, accept some of the physical realities that go with that scenario better than some of the fans. Kim Mulkey griping about this is the height of hypocrisy, since it's a tactic that she and her players (Oddysey in particular) will employ at any opportunity, as they did last night. Did the refs let it all go too far? Possibly. Do the refs need to impose a little more control? Possibly, but one cannot contend, looking at the foul stats, that Baylor was disproportionally disadvantaged. This is what the womens' game has evolved into, and, like it or not, it's here to stay. I have NO problem with that.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
BigP - good post and I agree that this is the 'cost' of allowing women to actually compete at sports (Joke, joke, please do not ban me!)
The only thing I would add is that I do not think the quality of the refs has kept up with the quality of the competition in WCBB. And it is not necessarily the 'control' issue - refs in every sport at every level sometimes lose control of the game. The problem as I stated above is the consistency within games to call the same fouls both ways from start to finish. In that respect, I actually thought the refs did pretty well in this game as when Baylor finally awoke and started giving as good as they got during the last 10 minutes, they were given the same latitude.

Reaction Score
How many of the NCAAW refs are former players? Would former players make good refs, or would they be worse? I would think they would make for better refs. They have been in the trenches, know what is and is not a true foul. I suppose there is always the question of could they be impartial. I just have never thought of what qualifies someone to be a ref.

Reaction Score
How many of the NCAAW refs are former players? Would former players make good refs, or would they be worse? I would think they would make for better refs. They have been in the trenches, know what is and is not a true foul. I suppose there is always the question of could they be impartial. I just have never thought of what qualifies someone to be a ref.
Did some googling - yes, it is a verb now.

Dee Kantner was a field hockey player. Can't find much information on some of the other officiating "stars" of the game

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the biggest requirement is someone who is willing to work a second job (the reffing) for very little pay that includes a lot of travel and staying in crap hotels. Oh yeah, and everyone you see on your travels is going to think you are a terrible excuse for a human being!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom