Was that a bench warning or a foul on our bench? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Was that a bench warning or a foul on our bench?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
There were 5 whistles before three minutes ticked off the clock in the 1st half. Two quickies on AZ when the refs realized what was happening. Then they banged us for the next three.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
There were people here speculating Greenberg was a good plan b if Hurley didn’t happen.

Reaction Score
There were people here speculating Greenberg was a good plan b if Hurley didn’t happen.
1543887699120.png

Reaction Score
I have no proof to back this up since the video isn’t there. Regardless, my favorite memory to like or dislike about Greenberg was our 2014 run. He picked St Joe’s for the upset, then in the following days picked Villanova, Iowa State, Michigan St, Florida and Kentucky. It got to the point that I prayed he would pick against us.

Reaction Score
I have no proof to back this up since the video isn’t there. Regardless, my favorite memory to like or dislike about Greenberg was our 2014 run. He picked St Joe’s for the upset, then in the following days picked Villanova, Iowa State, Michigan St, Florida and Kentucky. It got to the point that I prayed he would pick against us.
I think Charles Barkley did that too

Reaction Score

i think Doug Gottlieb did that too

Reaction Score
I think Charles Barkley did that too
except on stage at the beginning of the Springsteen concert on Sunday night in Dallas when Charles said UConn would win much to the dismay of the KY fans present.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Chief will say it - the officiating sucked and was unfair. You don’t go into game with agendas like these clowns did. What’s their background?
Even though it seemed apparent to me that that one ref in particular had an agenda against us from the start, I will say that I thought Diarra was acting more like a fan and less like a player throughout much of the game, so he was an easy target.

And I will also say that, as much as I like Hurley--and I do--I can see how he can rub the refs the wrong way, also from the get go. The way he walks and carries himself, it looks like he's looking for confrontation. I have a few close friends like that and I get it, but it's an initial impression I'm sure he makes on a lot of people. I also get that JC had a healthy amount of that attribute, but he was physically imposing and intimidating, whereas Hurley is not. He's not diminutive like Cronin, but in a similar way I think his presence and manner probably annoys refs more than intimidates or persuades them. He's going to have to work on the art of riding them without having it backfire. I do see him and the players trying to make nice with them at various points during the game, so I think they are conscious of it, but the results need to change.

Reaction Score
The coach sitting on the bench with a scowl does not work so I want Hurley to stay engaged and be fired up. Every coach works the refs and after it gets out of hand he had to get in their face. There was no technical. As far as Diarra goes, let’s see if he brings any of that to the floor and if he can stay out there without fouling.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The coach sitting on the bench with a scowl does not work so I want Hurley to stay engaged and be fired up. Every coach works the refs and after it gets out of hand he had to get in their face. There was no technical. As far as Diarra goes, let’s see if he brings any of that to the floor and if he can stay out there without fouling.
I agree on both scores. Those were just observations I made at the game. I actually sensed that Hurley was going to great lengths to rein himself in, so as not to annoy the refs.

Miller seemed to be more effective with the refs because he picks his spots, and he also presents differently than Hurley.

Reaction Score
We were on the wrong end of the vast majority of charge / block calls, we were the only team that travels (including a blatant miss against Zona late), a three was taken away by a quick finger on an inbounds play (think the buzzer went off when Jalen caught the ball AND the clock should have been reset anyways) and they took away a three on a moving screen.

It took every call to beat us

I can't say for certain, but I remember hearing a rule that the shot clock only resets on a jump ball if there is a change of possession. Aka, if the team with possession keeps the tie up, the shot clock does not reset.

However, you're right - the buzzer was set off waaay too quick, and just goes along with all the other eggregious calls that went for the bad guys.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I can't say for certain, but I remember hearing a rule that the shot clock only resets on a jump ball if there is a change of possession. Aka, if the team with possession keeps the tie up, the shot clock does not reset.

However, you're right - the buzzer was set off waaay too quick, and just goes along with all the other eggregious calls that went for the bad guys.
I think it resets to 15 or something. Maybe that’s on a kick. Regardless, the buzzer sounded as soon as it was on passed in inbounds.

C

Chief00

Even though it seemed apparent to me that that one ref in particular had an agenda against us from the start, I will say that I thought Diarra was acting more like a fan and less like a player throughout much of the game, so he was an easy target.

And I will also say that, as much as I like Hurley--and I do--I can see how he can rub the refs the wrong way, also from the get go. The way he walks and carries himself, it looks like he's looking for confrontation. I have a few close friends like that and I get it, but it's an initial impression I'm sure he makes on a lot of people. I also get that JC had a healthy amount of that attribute, but he was physically imposing and intimidating, whereas Hurley is not. He's not diminutive like Cronin, but in a similar way I think his presence and manner probably annoys refs more than intimidates or persuades them. He's going to have to work on the art of riding them without having it backfire. I do see him and the players trying to make nice with them at various points during the game, so I think they are conscious of it, but the results need to change.

Fair points.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
what a state of ESPN when Greenburg is considered one of your prime basketball announcers/analysts

Says even more that it is probably closer to one of their better decisions as far as personnel goes on that network overall.

Reaction Score
I think it resets to 15 or something. Maybe that’s on a kick. Regardless, the buzzer sounded as soon as it was on passed in inbounds.

Watching the play happen, there's no way that if we lose the ball and the other team recovers it, and then seconds later we tie THEM up with it and get the ball back, that the shot clock wouldn't reset. That was the egregious one to me that I was sitting at home wishing Hurley would get a T on.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I agree on both scores. Those were just observations I made at the game. I actually sensed that Hurley was going to great lengths to rein himself in, so as not to annoy the refs.

Miller seemed to be more effective with the refs because he picks his spots, and he also presents differently than Hurley.
In the first half I'm partial to the deadpan, hand on the chin, let the ref know you're unhappy, emphatically, but keep your body language less demonstrative early in the game. And, yes, pick your spots. Can't complain on everything, but it lets 'em know you see what they're doing without showing them up.

After halftime, if it's still a problem, let 'em have it.

Reaction Score
what a state of ESPN when Greenburg is considered one of your prime basketball announcers/analysts
This is where we are in the pecking order now. We get a ranking and we could start getting the A team again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom