Was Samarie Walker drafted? | The Boneyard

Was Samarie Walker drafted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Didn't see her name listed. If not drafted, has she been invited to a training camp?

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
No, she was not drafted and I have not seen her listed as someone signed to a training camp roster.

HGN

Reaction Score
No , she was not drafted. Some mocks had her going in the first round.

Reaction Score
No , she was not drafted. Some mocks had her going in the first round.
Thanks. She seems like a player that could least contribute at least as well as some of the other players drafted in the second round. Iwonder why she wasn't even drafted.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I think her size at roughly 6'0", she is foul prone, while being a really good rebounder and not being a big ball handler or outside shooter really limits her WNBA potential. DeNesha Stallworth from UK was taken - but she's 6'3".

Reaction Score
Jeff House mentioned her on the podcast, so I'm assuming she does (he coached at Kentucky last season).

Reaction Score
Thanks. She seems like a player that could least contribute at least as well as some of the other players drafted in the second round. Iwonder why she wasn't even drafted.

I don''t think she can. She is too small.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Apparently Samarie was hoping to be drafted (article).

I think she has the same problem as Barbara Turner - a forward's abilities and mindset in a guard's body.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure she has 1/2 year of eligibility left. I am not sure how it works for the women; whether they have to declare for the draft when their class graduates if they want to leave school.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure she has 1/2 year of eligibility left. I am not sure how it works for the women; whether they have to declare for the draft when their class graduates if they want to leave school.
No. There are no 1/2 years of eligibility. It's a 0/1 thing and she's used her 4 years up.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
When Samarie Walker and Jackie Gemelos get together, they can talk about something like global warming.

Reaction Score
No. There are no 1/2 years of eligibility. It's a 0/1 thing and she's used her 4 years up.
She transferred in the middle of a year and became eligible to play in the middle of the following year, so she really hads't played four years. Does she just lose that other 1/2 year?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She transferred in the middle of a year and became eligible to play in the middle of the following year, so she really hads't played four years. Does she just lose that other 1/2 year?
Yes.

Reaction Score

Once you play during a season, you have used up eligibility for the year. It doesn't matter if you've played 30 games or 2 games.

The only exception to that is an early injury where you can apply for a waiver. That does not apply to Samarie.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Apparently Samarie was hoping to be drafted (article).

I think she has the same problem as Barbara Turner - a forward's abilities and mindset in a guard's body.
She was the epitome of heart and desire- u nailed it Nan!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Even though Samarie is undersized, if she had stayed with UConn she would have been draft late 2nd or 3rd round. WNBA likes UConn players. I'm sure personally she was happier at Kentucky, but couldn't be with her Basketball accomplishments.

Reaction Score
I agree, I have to believe that Geno and our system would have developed her into a draftable player.

Reaction Score
Remember the game she played for UConn vs. Brittany Griner and Baylor? Samarie Walker was the real deal, and destined to be a top player on the national scene. What happened when she got to Kentucky, I don't know, nor will I speculate...

Reaction Score
Even though Samarie is undersized, if she had stayed with UConn she would have been draft late 2nd or 3rd round. WNBA likes UConn players. I'm sure personally she was happier at Kentucky, but couldn't be with her Basketball accomplishments.
Even if she would have been drafted, would SW had a roster spot in the WNBA? Her skill set (or at least what we saw from her during college) was limited in a sense that wile she was a pretty good 4 or 5 in college she is way to short for this in the WNBA and never developed the ability to take players off the dribble or a mid/long range shot needed to play the 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom