Was Kiah Stokes ineffective today when she was in ? | The Boneyard

Was Kiah Stokes ineffective today when she was in ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In a game that was well in hand in the last 10 min, I would have thought that the bench would
see more minutes and give the starters some rest. Kiah only getting 10 min seems very low,
especially after KML injury.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Louisville played mostly a small lineup. Kiah instead of KML was not a good matchup for UConn which is why Geno put KML back in the game when she said she was good to go.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Louisville played mostly a small lineup. Kiah instead of KML was not a good matchup for UConn which is why Geno put KML back in the game when she said she was good to go.
And even when he took Lewis out, he put Chong in to match up better than with Stokes.

Reaction Score

But then why have Dolson play 39 min of the game, if match up was a problem. Couldn't Kiah have spare Stef some
of those minutes ?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
But then why have Dolson play 39 min of the game, if match up was a problem. Couldn't Kiah have spare Stef some
of those minutes ?

What are you talking about? Your OP mentioned KML's injury and why didn't Kiah play more in KML's position. That was answered. Playing Kiah + Dolson + Stewart created the matchup problem.

Now, if you're saying Kiah should have subbed in for Dolson, well my answer to that is that the offense runs 100 times better with Stef on the floor.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
She posted up down low a lot but never got the ball (some of those times she got pushed off the block). She did get the ball when she was at or near the top of the key including the time the shot clock was running low. I thought she was going to shoot a three. Still, I saw too many times when she was out rebounded because she wasn't quick enough or the ball slipped away from her. I think if Geno thought she was playing better, she would have played more. Now that we have cupcake cities for a few weeks, I hope she can get some more opportunities offensively -- not jumpshots but post ups where she has to move around or over an opponent. Obviously, I have no idea what goes on in practice, but I would just like to see her take advantage of her physical gifts more often.

Reaction Score
Now, if you're saying Kiah should have subbed in for Dolson, well my answer to that is that the offense runs 100 times better with Stef on the floor.

Agree.... The offense runs 100 times better with Stef, but with the game clearly in control, you would think your
big starter could get some rest, especially hen you lead by about 20 pts consistently in the last 10 min. It's not like
the game was ever in doubt in the last 10 min.

Reaction Score
USF is not going to be a cupcake, especially at home. They are athletic and play hard. If their senior center did more, they could be a very dangerous team. I'll be there next Sunday, but I don't see a blowout of thirty or more points.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
For me this is all about getting Kiah comfortable in shooting shots that are comfortable for her... She did take and made one shot today somewhere around 15 ft which had to please her and the coaches (me too).

Get her confidence up and we will see more productive time...

Reaction Score
In a game that was well in hand in the last 10 min, I would have thought that the bench would
see more minutes and give the starters some rest. Kiah only getting 10 min seems very low,
especially after KML injury.

After a great win like todays why this ?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I though Kiah played fine today, but Geno said something about Seniors after the last home game that sort of surprised me - he said he wants to give Stef all the minutes he can especially at Gampel because she has so few games left.
Also ... he had this game and the last game of the season that will have a 'playoff' atmosphere - full house, tough opponent relatively close game - in which to prepare his starters for what is to come in the post season so sort of like the Rutgers game I think he wanted to really ride them hard.
Last thought - don't give Louisville any 'happy thoughts' about closing down the stretch. This group of Louisville players has never played Uconn to single digits and mostly not been in games - with two likely and three possible games down the line, not coasting into the finish I think was important - he also didn't put in the walk-ons at the end.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
For me this is all about getting Kiah comfortable in shooting shots that are comfortable for her... She did take and made one shot today somewhere around 15 ft which had to please her and the coaches (me too).

Get her confidence up and we will see more productive time...
Ctyankee- I think Kiah is the only one responsible for getting her confidence up. Draining 12-18' shots will go a long way to that end!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
USF is not going to be a cupcake, especially at home. They are athletic and play hard. If their senior center did more, they could be a very dangerous team. I'll be there next Sunday, but I don't see a blowout of thirty or more points.
cant wait to see your "score prediction" :p

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Ctyankee- I think Kiah is the only one responsible for getting her confidence up. Draining 12-18' shots will go a long way to that end!

Amen... She has to keep throwing them up... and in!!!

Reaction Score
I do

Reaction Score
Agree.... The offense runs 100 times better with Stef, but with the game clearly in control, you would think your
big starter could get some rest, especially hen you lead by about 20 pts consistently in the last 10 min. It's not like
the game was ever in doubt in the last 10 min.
Seems it was more important to send Kiah another message.

T

TroyHouse66

CTyankee:
<<... Kiah comfortable in shooting... did take and made one shot ...around 15 ft...."

Yes!!
It was a beauty. Receive, square, elevate, shoot... BAM!
No thought... No hesitation... I glanced up to check her uniform number...
It was sooo much akin to a Morgan response from the key, but no.. t'was #41!!

That's it Kiah... Don't go, automatically, to the passing mode. Listen to yer teammates on NOT thinking... not hesitating yourself out of great setups. Even if your shot is off... you ARE the broadest-shouldered, bad-assed, 'bounder in place for the put back.
Pull some of the old tapes and see what happened, about a year & a half ago, when Stef started stepping out and popping at 18+. The other team's 5 has to start closing to cover & the middle opens for the slashers...

Reaction Score
I think Kiah played "ok" like some of you have suggested. However, playing "ok" at this point in her junior year and at this time of the year is not accetable. As a fan of Kiah, I know she can do and give more or maybe I am completely wrong. Everytime she steps foot on that floor I truly wish her the best.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
If she can get stronger, I think she will get in better scoring position down low. She should never get pushed off the block, but she does. Stef uses her body to get in great position. Hopefully, she will learn that. Yes, I am rooting for her too, big time.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
damned if she do... defintely damned if she dont, kid hit a jumper now we want her to make hook shots from half court... give the kid a break

Im sure you were awesome at everything you did

Reaction Score
Kiah's strength is in her rebounding & blocking shots. What's frustrating is that once she rebounds the ball off the backboard, the ball is not secured & opposing players, a number of times, steal the ball from her. Nevertheless, she has great potential !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom