Was D the best point guard at UConn? | The Boneyard

Was D the best point guard at UConn?

Reaction Score
D had the 2nd most assists all time, just behind Mo.

The little bit of D I have seen in the pros, she sure looks like a point guard.

Sadly, I did not see D play at UConn.

Thoughts?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Like Larry Bird was called a point forward, D was the point SG. The offense ran through her and as the defense became disoriented trying to stop her, she could pin point pass for easy buckets. She was amazing in that after her freshman year she wasn't a gunner, but a true scorer that played in a team system.

Reaction Score
Oh, I did not make my post clear. I know that D played the 2 at UConn, and Sue Bird played the one.

My question was a bit rhetorical, but serious.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
DT best UCONN PG? No. Sue Bird was according to Nancy Lieberman. Sue Bird won the Lieberman award 3 times, DT won the award twice, Moriah Jefferson won the award twice.
DT and Maya best overall players - yes.

For the position of point guard though I'd give the nod to Moriah over Sue as she has 4 national championships.

Reaction Score

Thoughts?

You didn't get to see her play at UConn???!!!??? Wow! Did you miss out!

The question about point guard is really not that relevant. That's because D did it all! She rebounded, played defense, dished, hit 3's... There wasn't anything she didn't do. So she was not a "point guard" per se. She was the "do it all" player at UConn. No comparison!

Reaction Score
You didn't get to see her play at UConn???!!!??? Wow! Did you miss out!
The question about point guard is really not that relevant. That's because D did it all! She rebounded, played defense, dished, hit 3's... There wasn't anything she didn't do. So she was not a "point guard" per se. She was the "do it all" player at UConn. No comparison!

Totally agree with Fairfield. If you didn’t see D play at UConn you really should try to watch some of the great rivalry games against Tenn. Not only was she a great player but she had that attitude that we really don’t see much of today. Who can forget D punching the orange stanchion sophomore year at Tenn because she just wanted to punch something orange or holding out the front of her shirt to display UConn after defeating Tenn for the 2003 national championship. Many great players at UConn over the years but no one quite like D.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Moriah Jefferson and Sue Bird can fight it out for the title of best PG in the history of UConn WBB. Boneyarders can and have made cases for either/both to be considered the best PG.

BUT...

Diana Taurasi was the best playmaker in the history of UConn WBB.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Some will recall that in her senior year D would exasperate Geno by doing more distributing than shooting as she tried to prepare her team mates for life after Diana. More often than not when Dee and Maria were on the court together Maria was the ball minder and D set up the play. In truth D was ahead of her time as a semi-positionless player. Dee went where she wanted to go, just as she does now. However, "best point guard" has to be Sue, because she was always true to the position.

Reaction Score
Agree with much of what is written here. I don't consider D as a point guard while at UConn. But, in my view, the best who every played for UConn (followed very, very closely by Maya and Stewie). Sue was the best UConn point guard, just edging out Moriah. When one considers UConn point guards, talk about an embarrassment of riches - Jen, Sue, Renee, Moriah, Crystal. Has any school every had a collection of point guards to rival that?

Reaction Score

Thoughts?
Resounding NO! DT was Ms Everything but was mostly a shooting guard/wing. I thought for years that the best point guard ANYWHERE anytime. Then Moriah Jefferson came along--apologizes to Sue, Moriah is that great. I'm throwing Danger as (you pick it) next to Sue/Moriah.
On DT's team it was Maria Conlon (under-rated, under -appreciated) who was the PG, at the end, to begin it with it was Sue the PG.
Some will recall that in her senior year D would exasperate Geno by doing more distributing than shooting as she tried to prepare her team mates for life after Diana. More often than not when Dee and Maria were on the court together Maria was the ball minder and D set up the play. In truth D was ahead of her time as a semi-positionless player. Dee went where she wanted to go, just as she does now. However, "best point guard" has to be Sue, because she was always true to the position.
UConn fans can NEVER go wrong picking SUE. (not an argument-did Moriah play outside of her natural PG? Just asking!)
Sue was the greatest PG at Uconn and in the Pro world, even now. Since this is ONLY an opinion I jumped ship on Sue in Moriah's junior year. I actually felt like a traitor! As a College kid Moriah was amazing, in the Pro--my less than informed opinion is that an heir apparent,to Sue, that has to be Moriah.

Reaction Score
Agree with much of what is written here. I don't consider D as a point guard while at UConn. But, in my view, the best who every played for UConn (followed very, very closely by Maya and Stewie). Sue was the best UConn point guard, just edging out Moriah. When one considers UConn point guards, talk about an embarrassment of riches - Jen, Sue, Renee, Moriah, Crystal. Has any school every had a collection of point guards to rival that?
How soon we forget Sveta!! A wing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Moriah Jefferson and Sue Bird can fight it out for the title of best PG in the history of UConn WBB. Boneyarders can and have made cases for either/both to be considered the best PG.
BUT...

Diana Taurasi was the best playmaker in the history of UConn WBB.
DT was sic with it.
I'm still mad at Jessica Moore for blowing the assists on the second play highlight.

Reaction Score
Best point guard of all time, any school or period is Sue Bird. Best player of all time, any school is DT. Not even a reasonable discussion.
Sue's pull up 10-14 ft jumper made her impossible to defend. Always a step ahead, a joy to watch. Owes Geno alot!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I feel a need for a recital of The Ball Hog Chick!
Ok.

Ode to the Ball Hog Chick​

(JS)​

UConn's got a young guard
And they call that girl DT.
And you never find it hard
To see she's friendly as can be.​

She pats the ref right on the butt
And tousles coach's hair.
She always makes you bust a gut
And never shows a care.​

But opponents better watch out
Cause this gal's got mucho game.
She's gonna make your coach pout,
Make you sorry that you came.​

You can try your X's and your O's
She's gonna make you pay.
Give you headaches, give you woes,
Make you wish that it were May.​

No matter what you've learned,
And no matter what your schtick
You'll still get good and burned
By that grinning Ballhog Chick.

If your manning gives you trouble
Then try your box and one.
If your zoning lies in rubble
And your double teams are done​

Then it hasn't been your day
Be you Muffet, be you Pat.
Just shake ol' Geno's hand and say
"Nice game, you little brat."​

"Cause no matter what we boasted
We just couldn't make it click.
We were lit up, we were toasted
By that awesome Ballhog Chick."

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Diana Taurasi and Maya Moore are the greatest of all times.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ok.

Ode to the Ball Hog Chick​

(JS)​

UConn's got a young guard
And they call that girl DT.
And you never find it hard
To see she's friendly as can be.​

She pats the ref right on the butt
And tousles coach's hair.
She always makes you bust a gut
And never shows a care.​

But opponents better watch out
Cause this gal's got mucho game.
She's gonna make your coach pout,
Make you sorry that you came.​

You can try your X's and your O's
She's gonna make you pay.
Give you headaches, give you woes,
Make you wish that it were May.​

No matter what you've learned,
And no matter what your schtick
You'll still get good and burned
By that grinning Ballhog Chick.

If your manning gives you trouble
Then try your box and one.
If your zoning lies in rubble
And your double teams are done​

Then it hasn't been your day
Be you Muffet, be you Pat.
Just shake ol' Geno's hand and say
"Nice game, you little brat."​

"Cause no matter what we boasted
We just couldn't make it click.
We were lit up, we were toasted
By that awesome Ballhog Chick."

Who wrote this? I am sure I am not the only one who is in the dark about this bit of Americana

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom