Warde 'not commenting' on P future | The Boneyard

Warde 'not commenting' on P future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
"I wish there was something I could have done to help them. As a coach you always feel that way. I felt that way last week. Was there one thing we could have done differently to help us to win? You always feel that way." - P

Retire.

Reaction Score
These comments by Warde certainly make it seem like P coached his last game.

"We need to do something different than what we've been doing." - Warde Manuel
Asked about Pasqualoni's future Manuel said simply, "I'm not commenting."

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My best guess is that P coaches the rest of the year, but they'll announce that he's not being retained sometime between Temple and Memphis.

Reaction Score
When you're 10-18 and you just lost to Buffalo, it better be the head coach's last game. If not, sheet is really going to hit the fan for the program and the fanbase.

Reaction Score
My best guess is that P coaches the rest of the year, but they'll announce that he's not being retained sometime between Temple and Memphis.

If that is Manuel's plan for this football program from here, after what's happened in the past 2 weeks, then we are in bigger trouble than any losing head coach regime could cause. My two cents. He better have figured out a way out of Pasqualoni's contract that was reasonable to everyone as of 4 weeks ago, and it's a matter of getting Pasqualoni to agree to it now. And frigging take the keys from Deleone and put everythign in his office in a box on sidewalk in the morning. Screw his contract.

Reaction Score

Can't believe he would allow the damage to continue while essentially admitting the futility of the present course. That kind of illogic puts you in the firing line. Even the pathetic horde might question that - or not.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Perfect fit for the land of steady habits.

But it's progress. Last week was a non-committal endorsement, this week it's a no comment.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Can't believe he would allow the damage to continue while essentially admitting the futility of the present course. That kind of illogic puts you in the firing line. Even the pathetic horde might question that - or not.

Well.

If you thought the next head coach was on the staff, the move takes on some urgency.

Given that this entire crew is destined for the express train out of Storrs, it doesn't really much matter when the trap door gets yanked from under P.

The season is completely lost either way.

Reaction Score
Well.

If you thought the next head coach was on the staff, the move takes on some urgency.

Given that this entire crew is destined for the express train out of Storrs, it doesn't really much matter when the trap door gets yanked from under P.

It's not the staff he should be worried about. It's the fragile fan base who may be gone by years end. He fires PP now and the fans will accept the losses as they know change is coming.

He waits and they may be gone for good.

Reaction Score
Well.

Can't argue with any of it. Just the erosion continues.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The logic is as follows:

1) If you believe that the losses are due to strategic errors / playcalling / misuse of personnel - Then getting rid of PP/GDL should happen right away, so as to allow for others to try to change those strategic errors and / or personnel changes.

2) If you believe that the losses are lack of motivating players - Then getting rid of PP/GDL should happen right away, so as to allow for others with more fire in their bellies to come through (Hughes, Weist, Foley, Wholley).

3) If you believe that the losses are due to lack of recruiting prowess - Then getting rid of PP/GDL should happen right away, since losing any future recruit they might be closely in on would not be a great loss under that assumption.

4) If you believe that the losses are due to the inability to coach Edsall's recruits to the same competency as Edsall did - Then getting rid of PP/GDL should happen right away, since incompetent coaching will hurt the team more over the course of the season, not hurt less.

So if the question is, "What do you gain by letting them go now?", then I would follow that up with, "What do you gain by keeping them now?"...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The damage is already done. Whether WM fires P and puts in an interim HC, or lets him go later in the season, makes no difference except to the volume of posts on the Boneyard and number of #FirePasqualoni tweets. Either way... new staff comes in around Christmas, 2013 is written off.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's not the staff he should be worried about. It's the fragile fan base who may be gone by years end. He fires PP now and the fans will accept the losses as they know change is coming.

He waits and they may be gone for good.

I think the average fan would be thrilled to see him go now - the hardcore would prefer to see him shot.

But I don't think they risk losing the fan base by riding P to the end of the year. In some ways, it might help - the fans are going to pin the entire mess on Pasqualoni. If nothing else, hating the man helps keep the fans engaged.

The real danger to UConn is in the next hire - they gotta get it right. They need a guy who's a promoter and who gets results.

If the next guy's a dud, I don't know how we survive that.

Reaction Score
Maybe he's monitoring the situation. PP's office needs to be cleared out tomorrow

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If Manuel waits until the end of this season to get rid of this abysmal coaching staff, there won't be any fanbase left to worry about maintaining.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have seen enough of Manuel. He should be fired tomorrow along with Pasqualoni and Deleone. I don't want to spend the next 4 years watching Manuel grind the athletic program into the ground. He is the wrong guy for the job.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If Manuel waits until the end of this season to get rid of this abysmal coaching staff, there won't be any fanbase left to worry about maintaining.
And either way they'll be back whenever the new coach puts some wins together. Firing now or firing in December doesn't change that.

Reaction Score
I think the average fan would be thrilled to see him go now - the hardcore would prefer to see him shot.

But I don't think they risk losing the fan base by riding P to the end of the year. In some ways, it might help - the fans are going to pin the entire mess on Pasqualoni. If nothing else, hating the man helps keep the fans engaged.

The real danger to UConn is in the next hire - they gotta get it right. They need a guy who's a promoter and who gets results.

If the next guy's a dud, I don't know how we survive that.

Can't go cheap. 2 mill, minimum. You can get someone with some "gravitas" for that borrow a phrase from Sue.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And either way they'll be back whenever the new coach puts some wins together. Firing now or firing in December doesn't change that.

No they won't. When people move on, it takes a lot to get them back.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The fans will just spend more time tailgating and less inside the stadium this year. And all the scolding by the media will fall on deaf ears. The CT media assclowns have been shilling for PP since he was hired, and they can choke on him on the way out.

Reaction Score
A no comment directly after the game is a sign of progress. He's got a bye week. If at least a coordinator is not fired, it would be an atrocity.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My money says that P is not the head coach when we play Rutgers. Prior to that game, it is 50/50 at best that P is still here.

Reaction Score
auote="Carl Spackler, post: 705224, member: 1038"]If that is Manuel's plan for this football program from here, after what's happened in the past 2 weeks, then we are in bigger trouble than any losing head coach regime could cause. My two cents. He better have figured out a way out of Pasqualoni's contract that was reasonable to everyone as of 4 weeks ago, and it's a matter of getting Pasqualoni to agree to it now. And frigging take the keys from Deleone and put everythign in his office in a box on sidewalk in the morning. Screw his contract.[/quote]

Probably Wishful Thinking - But here's Hoping!
l

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22