Warde Manuel to UConn fans: Pipe down, Pasqualoni's coming back for a third year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel to UConn fans: Pipe down, Pasqualoni's coming back for a third year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you don't think a -14 turnover differential is a big deal, then I don't know what to tell you. Clearly they're capable of doing better, I mean they forced 18 interceptions in 2011.
I would say the over-reliance on running the ball up the middle on first down, which led to a steep drop in rushing yards from last 4 Edsall yrs to last two with PP, had much more of an impact than the turnover deal. A lot of those turnovers were INTs when we trying to play catch-up which the GDL offense is not equipped to do. And thats being charitable.

Reaction Score
I would say the over-reliance on running the ball up the middle on first down, which led to a steep drop in rushing yards from last 4 Edsall yrs to last two with PP, had much more of an impact than the turnover deal. A lot of those turnovers were INTs when we trying to play catch-up which the GDL offense is not equipped to do. And thats being charitable.

Whatever you say.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Playcalling, turnovers, etc. People we just duck*ing sucked. From the athletic director down to our grounds-crew, UConn football the bed this year.

Reaction Score
We won't win 5 games next season. Don't worry.

Here is where I see the problem. Next year, solely because of Michigan, I will predict near record season ticket sales. In the event of even a marginally successful year (6-6) the AD and other administration will be able to point to a upward tik in ticket sales and possibly be able to further justify this jokers existance as the head football coach at UConn.

I dont want to dream of another 5-7 season, but I think it is going to take worse to get rid of HCPP.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
When we don’t perform there’s nobody working harder to change that than the players and coaches...
Either they're not working hard enough or the system is flawed. Don't insult our intelligence WM. Anyone can see this team should have been bowl eligible the last two years. Losing to Western Michigan twice. NC State. Almost giving away a game to Buffalo. Need I go on? The ACC debacle should have sent a crystal duck*ing clear message - we have to raise the bar on football. Not by 2 more wins.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
We won't win 5 games next season. Don't worry.

Part of me wants the team to do well, but in the long term we need PP out as fast as possible. So if that means going 1-11 next year, so be it.

Reaction Score
Only the wackjobs on this board actually expected him to fire a coach after going 10-14 in two years.

NOBODY in football gets fired after two years unless they are close to going winless.

Jon Embree went 4-21 in two years and there was a ton of backlash when he was fired.

Derek Dooley went 11-14 in his first two years at Tennesse of all places and he was brought back for a third year.

I totally agree with this. Only time you fire a coach in less than three seasons is: major scandal/violations or he wins 8 out out of 24 games (or something of that nature). As bad as it is sticking with him, we don't want to be the program that fires coaches too soon (yes in this case I wouldn't care, but an AD must look long-term, big picture).

The sad things is his return leaves me conflicted. A good year means he is here for many years to come. Which is terrible for the program because he simply isn't that good. But I can't hope my team loses....I just can't do it. If we have a bad year, we may never recover. I want him gone, but I never thought he would be fired. So, let's hope for a miracle....that he magiacally figures it out, has a great season, then retires...

Reaction Score
It's not the record. It's the sheer stupidity and incompetence of the coaches are enough to fire them.

Going for mobile lighter linemen then thinking runs up the middle is a good idea with a lightweight running back is stupid. Doing it over and over and over against a stacked box all season long is sheer idiocy.

Not taking a knee when victory is in hand is stupid.

Complaining about MAC level talent then getting beat by WM which went 2-6 in the MAC is incompetence. Are the recruits at NIU, Ball State, Kent state that much better than ours?

Much more. I'm sure others can chime in.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
It's not the record. It's the sheer stupidity and incompetence of the coaches are enough to fire them.

Going for mobile lighter linemen then thinking runs up the middle is a good idea with a lightweight running back is stupid. Doing it over and over and over against a stacked box all season long is sheer idiocy.

Not taking a knee when victory is in hand is stupid.

Complaining about MAC level talent then getting beat by WM which went 2-6 in the MAC is incompetence. Are the recruits at NIU, Ball State, Kent state that much better than ours?

Much more. I'm sure others can chime in.

This just names the surface problems. There is so much wrong with this coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Looks like Dez did some "reporting" today, noting that someone close to the situation said someone other than GDL calls plays next year

Reaction Score
We need to have a good season next year so that is what I'll be hoping for. We need to get back to a bowl game. No way do I want to see another disaster. What I don't see is how you keep GDL on staff and just have someone else call the plays. The whole wildcat thing what happens to that? The using only one RB. The pass route combinations. We need someone who can get the players to perform better and it is in the teaching and how they pick it up and is it something they can do without screwing it up. To be ranked as low on offense as we have for two years isn't going to be solved by Coach Day calling the plays. If we tried to hurry up on offense it usually resulted in us having to call a timeout. There is a huge problem with the lesson plan.

Reaction Score
Warde Manual sucks plain and simple. No vision. No leadership. No nothing. An attitude with no results. TOTAL POSER.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not attempting to read between the lines, I don't see that as any kind of vote of confidence but rather very vanilla spin on giving an obligatory third year to the coach he inherited. We can debate whether the third year should or should not have been obligatory but that would be an excersize in futility. I personally felt from the NC State game that the OC needed to go, from the Temple game that this needed to be P's last season here and from the Cuse game that if he continued to hold the title of head coach for another second it would be one second too long.

Reading between the lines (and perhaps using some HFD logic) I see the following two lines: "Coaches need to make better decisions all around and put them [players] in better positions." and "I know he understands what he needs to do to be better next season." as reason to believe that GDL will not be part of the equation next season. (I know I am likely wrong here but I need to hold on to this at least until after New Years Day).

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I totally agree with this. Only time you fire a coach in less than three seasons is: major scandal/violations or he wins 8 out out of 24 games (or something of that nature). As bad as it is sticking with him, we don't want to be the program that fires coaches too soon (yes in this case I wouldn't care, but an AD must look long-term, big picture).

The sad things is his return leaves me conflicted. A good year means he is here for many years to come. Which is terrible for the program because he simply isn't that good. But I can't hope my team loses....I just can't do it. If we have a bad year, we may never recover. I want him gone, but I never thought he would be fired. So, let's hope for a miracle....that he magiacally figures it out, has a great season, then retires...
Or if a new Ad comes in; or if conference realignment is breathing down our necks... A responsible, rational decision maker may consider the common wisdom but he shouldn't be contstrained by either the hard core fringe or the easy 'this is how it always goes' answer.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
this was brought up to me this morning:

A9XGnBNCQAIboSa.jpg:large

Reaction Score
Or if a new Ad comes in; or if conference realignment is breathing down our necks... A responsible, rational decision maker may consider the common wisdom but he shouldn't be contstrained by either the hard core fringe or the easy 'this is how it always goes' answer.
So the sales pitch to prospective coaches would be: "hey come to a Basketball school in a small New England State where high school talent is sparse and recruiting will be an uphill battle...and by the way, you better win in two years because we fire coaches who haven't had the chance to coach their first recruits as red-shirt sophomores. How could you dream of staying in your current position where you are a name on the rise and pass up on this opportunity?". Did i mention all of your local D-I neighbors play in power conferences? So as you can clearly see, 2 years is plenty of time!

They will be beating down the doors to get in line........ There is a reason you can count the number of BCS head coaches fired in less than 2.5 seasons on one hand. It is expensive and it sends a bad message to potential replacements.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think this is totally expected, and I will remain hopeful that GDL is quietly moved upstairs or retired, but I'll tell you this now -- with our losses on D, I don't know how we're getting even to 5 wins next year. We'll see.
I am dreading this but I think that you are right. It is likely to be an ugly, ugly season.

Reaction Score
UConn got killed in the turnover margin this year. I think we were -14. Last year we were +8. I have to think that that number will revert back to the mean next year, but like you said, we'll see.

It would also help if we had an offense that could score more points than our defense gives up....i'm betting that might get us a couple more wins

C

Chief00

Warde is one of these guys , at least when he talks publicly, says a whole lot of meaningless nothing. The takeaway is starting to be Herbst made a major hiring mistake - and now we got a lot of doubling down on one mistake after another.
The decision making is worse than poor - its become a comedy act.

Reaction Score
Not attempting to read between the lines, I don't see that as any kind of vote of confidence but rather very vanilla spin on giving an obligatory third year to the coach he inherited. We can debate whether the third year should or should not have been obligatory but that would be an excersize in futility. I personally felt from the NC State game that the OC needed to go, from the Temple game that this needed to be P's last season here and from the Cuse game that if he continued to hold the title of head coach for another second it would be one second too long.

Reading between the lines (and perhaps using some HFD logic) I see the following two lines: "Coaches need to make better decisions all around and put them [players] in better positions." and "I know he understands what he needs to do to be better next season." as reason to believe that GDL will not be part of the equation next season. (I know I am likely wrong here but I need to hold on to this at least until after New Years Day).
What an incisive post! (Sarcasm off, sincerity on). I so hope you're right. I trust you're right. So much so that I fear that you may be wrong.

Reaction Score
http://courantblogs.com/uconn-footb...ns/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

What’s goin on?

UConn athletic director Warde Manuel confirmed head football coach Paul Pasqualoni will return for a third season.

“The expectation is that they’re going to win and we want that for the team, we want that for our fans. We want people to enjoy the experience of coming out and watching the team perform. When we don’t perform there’s nobody working harder to change that than the players and coaches so I would hope that our fans would continue to support the team the way they have and that they will see adjustments and changes made by this team to produce success. I hear our fans and I understand their disappointment but we’re going to make the adjustments to have better performance on the field than we had this year.

I guess we better get used to the product.

Oh, here we go - now all the armchair Athletic Directors are going to be coming out of the woodwork letting us know how someone who's a professional Athletic Director doesn't know what he's doing, but that a bunch of rank amateurs do.

let-me-start-by-saying-bad-elf-wifi.jpg

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Oh, here we go - now all the armchair Athletic Directors are going to be coming out of the woodwork letting us know how someone who's a professional Athletic Director doesn't know what he's doing, but that a bunch of rank amateurs do.

Right, because any worthwhile fan should be expressing his eagerness to continue rooting for more of what we've seen the last two years.... I guess 5-7 with losses to WMU and Temple is our new definition of success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom