Warde Manuel to UConn fans: Pipe down, Pasqualoni's coming back for a third year | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel to UConn fans: Pipe down, Pasqualoni's coming back for a third year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://courantblogs.com/uconn-footb...ns/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

What’s goin on?

UConn athletic director Warde Manuel confirmed head football coach Paul Pasqualoni will return for a third season.

“The expectation is that they’re going to win and we want that for the team, we want that for our fans. We want people to enjoy the experience of coming out and watching the team perform. When we don’t perform there’s nobody working harder to change that than the players and coaches so I would hope that our fans would continue to support the team the way they have and that they will see adjustments and changes made by this team to produce success. I hear our fans and I understand their disappointment but we’re going to make the adjustments to have better performance on the field than we had this year.

I guess we better get used to the product.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Bulls***. Sorry that's all I have to say to this whole situation. They have no clue how bad it's going to be next year in terms of fan turnout. Just smh at all of this.....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
They can't even do in-game adjustments, what faith do I have in seeing adjustments next year on the field? GDL must be demoted to recruiter or TE coach are something in that nature. That's the adjustment I want to see.

Reaction Score
Lets be honest. We have no idea how well he is doing selling UConn in the smoke-filled-rooms of college athletics. And we don't have any idea of how he is doing promoting UConn to boosters, but this "keep the faith" BS sounds very Jeff Hathaway.

Reaction Score
Next year is going to be such a mess, thanks Warde Manuel.

Reaction Score
Here is where I see the problem. Next year, solely because of Michigan, I will predict near record season ticket sales. In the event of even a marginally successful year (6-6) the AD and other administration will be able to point to a upward tik in ticket sales and possibly be able to further justify this jokers existance as the head football coach at UConn.

I dont want to dream of another 5-7 season, but I think it is going to take worse to get rid of HCPP.

Reaction Score
Only the wackjobs on this board actually expected him to fire a coach after going 10-14 in two years.

NOBODY in football gets fired after two years unless they are close to going winless.

Jon Embree went 4-21 in two years and there was a ton of backlash when he was fired.

Derek Dooley went 11-14 in his first two years at Tennesse of all places and he was brought back for a third year.

Reaction Score
Lets be honest. We have no idea how well he is doing selling UConn in the smoke-filled-rooms of college athletics. And we don't have any idea of how he is doing promoting UConn to boosters, but this "keep the faith" BS sounds very Jeff Hathaway.

So the fan base can be ignored? Isn't that the most important sell?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Only the wackjobs on this board actually expected him to fire a coach after going 10-14 in two years.

NOBODY in football gets fired after two years unless they are close to going winless.

Jon Embree went 4-21 in two years and there was a ton of backlash when he was fired.

Derek Dooley went 11-14 in his first two years at Tennesse of all places and he was brought back for a third year.

Yeah, and both of them were awesome.

Reaction Score
This will set UConn football back about 4 years. Next year will be a disaster and when they finally fire him a new coach will have to come in and it will take 3 years to get "his" recruits here to succeed.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Question for Warde: If we miss another bowl, will you resign? What about 6-6, 7-5? If you have such confidence in PP, throw your lot in with him.

Oh, I guess you just did.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I think this is totally expected, and I will remain hopeful that GDL is quietly moved upstairs or retired, but I'll tell you this now -- with our losses on D, I don't know how we're getting even to 5 wins next year. We'll see.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Good to see that Warde the rock star is aggressively taking control of things and putting his stamp on our programs by decisively addressing the basketball situation and getting his own guy in for football. Or not.

Reaction Score

That's pretty much the case. Its pretty rare for a coach to be fired after only 2 years without a total disaster. I really didn't expect it to happen. If you look at some of the more awful coaches in the big East in recent years, Robinson got 4 at Syracuse, Kragthorpe got 3 at Louisville, Terry Shea got 5 at Rutgers, and some of those guys were absolutely hideous coaches. Robinson's best year was 4 wins in his 2nd year.

Reaction Score
I think this is totally expected, and I will remain hopeful that GDL is quietly moved upstairs or retired, but I'll tell you this now -- with our losses on D, I don't know how we're getting even to 5 wins next year. We'll see.

UConn got killed in the turnover margin this year. I think we were -14. Last year we were +8. I have to think that that number will revert back to the mean next year, but like you said, we'll see.

Reaction Score
I don't know how we're getting even to 5 wins next year. We'll see.

That's easy to answer. Adjustments. :rolleyes:

The last major adjustment, Foley/GDL and the OL, worked out real well for us. I can't wait to see what P comes up with this offseason.

Reaction Score
That's easy to answer. Adjustments. :rolleyes:

The last major adjustment, Foley/GDL and the OL, worked out real well for us. I can't wait to see what P comes up with this offseason.

He will be helped by WM this off-season. The ying/yang of having a "football guy" as your boss.

Reaction Score
UConn got killed in the turnover margin this year. I think we were -14. Last year we were +8. I have to think that that number will revert back to the mean next year, but like you said, we'll see.
John, if you think 'turnover margin' is what killed this team this year, well, I'd be careful branding anyone else a 'wackjob'

Reaction Score
Question for Warde: If we miss another bowl, will you resign? What about 6-6, 7-5? If you have such confidence in PP, throw your lot in with him.

Oh, I guess you just did.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
The only thing he threw in was his circular of Dunkin Donuts coupons.

Reaction Score
John, if you think 'turnover margin' is what killed this team this year, well, I'd be careful branding anyone else a 'wackjob'

He didn't say it was "what" killed uconn (like the most important and only thing) but just that "Uconn got killed in turnover margin"; which is true just like got killed on 1st down runs, dropped passes, big plays on defense, etc.

If I could pick a plus 22 turnovers for this past season (from -14 to +8) you can bet your blue and white butt that Uconn would have been bowling. Just have Sio hold on to the interception against Cin and they don't score the TD to go ahead 14 and we're in the game. Intercept a pass on Temple's game tieing drive and we win. Going from +8 to -14 in turnovers is a big, big deal.

Reaction Score
He didn't say it was "what" killed uconn (like the most important and only thing) but just that "Uconn got killed in turnover margin"; which is true just like got killed on 1st down runs, dropped passes, big plays on defense, etc.

If I could pick a plus 22 turnovers for this past season (from -14 to +8) you can bet your blue and white butt that Uconn would have been bowling. Just have Sio hold on to the interception against Cin and they don't score the TD to go ahead 14 and we're in the game. Intercept a pass on Temple's game tieing drive and we win. Going from +8 to -14 in turnovers is a big, big deal.

Playcalling, not turnovers, easily cost us three games this year - NC State, Western Michigan, Temple, and probably USF as well. The whole tailspin began with the inexplicable, inexcusable turtling against Buffalo when we sat on a lead against an inferior opponent and blew a perfect opportunity to instill some freaking confidence in the offense. Hope everyone enjoys the show next season.

Reaction Score
Playcalling, not turnovers, easily cost us three games this year - NC State, Western Michigan, Temple, and probably USF as well. The whole tailspin began with the inexplicable, inexcusable turtling against Buffalo when we sat on a lead against an inferior opponent and blew a perfect opportunity to instill some freaking confidence in the offense. Hope everyone enjoys the show next season.

If you don't think a -14 turnover differential is a big deal, then I don't know what to tell you. Clearly they're capable of doing better, I mean they forced 18 interceptions in 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom