Warde Manuel destroyed our athletic program | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel destroyed our athletic program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
No, saying it can be used as a recruiting tool to a young player compared to a moron in red pants

If a coach has no better selling points than wearing short sleeves, he's not doing his job correctly.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The blame begins and ends with Hathaway. I'm stunned that anyone would hold Manuel more responsible than Hathaway. Hathaway failed in just about every way possible and any AD that followed his dumpster fire had a lot of work just to get the department out of the hole he dug.

Reaction Score
So maybe 4-5 schools make money on hockey?
I'd like to see if UConn breaks even on hockey. I'll bet it's close. Outside of OOC games all their travel is done by bus and aside from trip to Orono now with ND leaving for the B1G they don't stay over. Cav has a coaches show which they sell advertising for for another revenue stream.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'd like to see if UConn breaks even on hockey. I'll bet it's close. Outside of OOC games all their travel is done by bus and aside from trip to Orono now with ND leaving for the B1G they don't stay over. Cav has a coaches show which they sell advertising for for another revenue stream.

The XL Center is really expensive to rent. I can't imagine they break even.

No parking, no concessions...

I bet they lose 7 figures on paper.

Reaction Score
The XL Center is really expensive to rent. I can't imagine they break even.

No parking, no concessions...

I bet they lose 7 figures on paper.
Could be close...I just went back to look at attendance for each game and multiplied that times $15 ... comes out to $1,173,180 in total ticket sales. The 2 playoff games had a total of 8617 in attendance for 2 games that brought in an additional $129.295 in ticket sales. 18 scholarships run around $800,000. I'll bet salaries for Cav, Periera and Buckley run $500,000-$600,000.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Could be close...I just went back to look at attendance for each game and multiplied that times $15 ... comes out to $1,173,180 in total ticket sales. The 2 playoff games had a total of 8617 in attendance for 2 games that brought in an additional $129.295 in ticket sales. 18 scholarships run around $800,000. I'll bet salaries for Cav, Periera and Buckley run $500,000-$600,000.

I think the XL center costs something like 80k a night.

I used the words on paper because I don't believe the scholarships are ' 'real' money and there is no way to accurate put certain revenue towards individual sports accurately.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Whatever happened to the rumored deal of UConn getting majority of XL/Rent revenue from the state? Was that only if the XL was renovated or a new arena built?

Reaction Score
Whatever happened to the rumored deal of UConn getting majority of XL/Rent revenue from the state? Was that only if the XL was renovated or a new arena built?
Yeah if they gut the place and redo it than UConn would have to commit to playing a majority of their events there but actually receive more of the revenue from those events, not just ticket sales IIRC. Doubt it happens anytime soon though

Reaction Score
We're friends and only one of us has access to the yard...Guy hasn't posted since the day they kicked him off. He's played nice but the dire situation of the program reached a tipping point today and i obliged his need to vent.

Tell him I miss him. His ideas do not seem so crazy now, do they?

Reaction Score
The blame begins and ends with Hathaway. I'm stunned that anyone would hold Manuel more responsible than Hathaway. Hathaway failed in just about every way possible and any AD that followed his dumpster fire had a lot of work just to get the department out of the hole he dug.
They both stunk. One more than the other, but neither did anything to significantly improve our situation.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
At the time Warde was hired, UConn was in an APR mess in the national media/perception. You can blame whoever you want for that but the heat UConn's creme program was getting as a result was very real. It's ironic that UConn was passed over by the ACC in part due to APR and they took UL instead, but I digress. Anyway, Warde's top job was to fix our academic reputation in our AD. He did.

His Diaco hire was not terrible. I might be crazy, but I still think that Diaco could (could could could could 1000x COULD) be successful if he had the right staff in place to support him. Diaco is a good recruiter for our area, a good motivator, and creates excitement around a program that has no business getting excited about. Let's be honest - most of football coaching comes from the assistant ranks. If he had the right staff - and make no mistake, his staff is 100% his responsibility - then Diaco could do the things he excels at: selling kids on UConn and generating headlines for the program. I would absolutely love to see how he'd motivate/recruit with a team that plays modern era football and was exciting with its on-field play.

Warde absolutely botched the KO initial contract but did engineer a good extension after 2014 that secured a better and longer future here. KO is a top 10 paid MBB coach and that's saying something for a G5 budget.

Honestly, the only negative that UConn has on its P5 profile is the football program. If Benedict can correct some of the past regimes mistakes and properly fund football (namely, assistant coach pool), then it would be hard for P5 conferences to continue to pass. We needed a good football year on the field and in the stands to convince the B12 that our distance would be worth while and neither happened. Football is our only negative in CR. Fix that and we check every P5 box and then guys like Warde and Benedict will be hailed as heroes.

Reaction Score
I think the XL center costs something like 80k a night.

I used the words on paper because I don't believe the scholarships are ' 'real' money and there is no way to accurate put certain revenue towards individual sports accurately.

It is real money. I wish you guys would realize that.

Resources are allocated according to head counts. If the head count is high, and no one is paying, the school goes into the red for that allocation. It is real money.

C

Chief00

Warde was a MBA or whatever , who was terrible with the Finances. Real disaster in that area. Liked him personally, but he was a football guy that left us with Diaco and the AAC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It is real money. I wish you guys would realize that.

Resources are allocated according to head counts. If the head count is high, and no one is paying, the school goes into the red for that allocation. It is real money.

Like you said it's allocations. If there are 10,000 students and you admit student 10,001 there is almost zero marginal cost to the academic side.

Reaction Score
Like you said it's allocations. If there are 10,000 students and you admit student 10,001 there is almost zero marginal cost to the academic side.

But this is totally untrue. We have caps. That 1 student causes a new instructor hire. Every college uses business practices to make these allocations. At the Dean's level, you have benchmarks that kick in varied allocation schemes. At the department level, you have caps on classes and minimums. We are counting beans in order to figure out how many faculty we'll need--based on head count. Even for one student.

But let's take this to the level of football, where kids are tracked. The isolation caused by football programs across the country requires a cohort of instructors and advisors that are not available to average students. I could make the easy argument that instruction for the football players is much more expensive on a per student basis than it is for the average student. Also, I don't think you're taking into account the taxpayer/endowment/research budget subsidy for each player. The athletic department reimburses the school for tuition. But the actual cost per student at UConn is 3x tuition.

I know from the outside it seems like anything goes. I get that perception. But inside? Head counts matter. It's no different than retail or sales--unfortunately.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But this is totally untrue. We have caps. That 1 student causes a new instructor hire. Every college uses business practices to make these allocations. At the Dean's level, you have benchmarks that kick in varied allocation schemes. At the department level, you have caps on classes and minimums. We are counting beans in order to figure out how many faculty we'll need--based on head count. Even for one student.

But let's take this to the level of football, where kids are tracked. The isolation caused by football programs across the country requires a cohort of instructors and advisors that are not available to average students. I could make the easy argument that instruction for the football players is much more expensive on a per student basis than it is for the average student. Also, I don't think you're taking into account the taxpayer/endowment/research budget subsidy for each player. The athletic department reimburses the school for tuition. But the actual cost per student at UConn is 3x tuition.

I know from the outside it seems like anything goes. I get that perception. But inside? Head counts matter. It's no different than retail or sales--unfortunately.

Yes and the caps are arbitrary. It costs no more to have 20 students in most classes than 18.

Obviously the academic support staffs are direct costs to the athletic department.

Reaction Score
Yes and the caps are arbitrary. It costs no more to have 20 students in most classes than 18.

Obviously the academic support staffs are direct costs to the athletic department.

1. This is just wrong. The caps are their to maintain teacher/student ratios and optimal learning environments. The difference between 18 and 20 is nothing (but the instructor's time). The difference between 18 and 22 is huge. Each head counts in terms of money. There are 85 football players.

2. Advising in every budget is academic, not athletic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom