Warde Manuel at sports conference (some quotes) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel at sports conference (some quotes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
medic as I'm sure you'll recall the previous AD loved to strut around the nation in a similar fashion - hello, build up my chits so I can be the chairman of the selection committee. Meanwhile, Rome burned in Storrs. Every other one of those schools represented in NY is in a stable conference situation (w/exception of NC State). This is a dog & pony show time waster.

Okay - you're right. We scream about how UConn is perceived but you know what... they should have passed on the chance to be in the room w/ their peers and all of CFB media becasue the BY is pissed that they don't know what their broader vision is. Got it!

Reaction Score
I don’t think I will ever forgive this guy for being out hustled by the u of l AD. I don’t know if it was true or not, but certainly the perception was, he was out hustled and in the mean time he is doing nothing to change my mind. No imagination, no infusion of energy, he continues to take the safe easy route, keeping the status quo.
If by dense you are referring to a high mass per unit volume that may be correct, however, if you mean slow to understand, I assure you I understand, the question is does WM.

How any AD could be at the Rent for the last 30 minutes of that game last Saturday and witness the combination of the coaching disaster on the sidelines plus empty dreary depressing stadium and keep the status quo is a fail. Not going to fire PP, OK, don't like it. Only thing that gets Warde out of my doghouse is forcing the kind of offensive coordinator change Texas & WVU pulled off in December 2010 (google it and note the dates). No reason the GDL decision should be put off or delayed. And if Don Brown leaves . . . . .

Reaction Score
Okay - you're right. We scream about how UConn is perceived but you know what... they should have passed on the chance to be in the room w/ their peers and all of CFB media becasue the BY is pissed that they don't know what their broader vision is. Got it!

The room Warde should have been in - and hopefully was when the panel ended away from the media, who I could give a rat's ass about - was a PRIVATE one with all those poohbas doing some serious lobbying. Especially with our buddy Emmert. The double standard that we get penalized for bad grades while UNC skates WHEN THEIR PLAYERS GOT GOOD GRADES FOR CLASSES THEY NEVER ATTENDED still frosts me

Reaction Score
The room Warde should have been in - and hopefully was when the panel ended away from the media, who I could give a rat's ass about - was a PRIVATE one with all those poohbas doing some serious lobbying. Especially with our buddy Emmert. The double standard that we get penalized for bad grades while UNC skates WHEN THEIR PLAYERS GOT GOOD GRADES FOR CLASSES THEY NEVER ATTENDED still frosts me

So you changed your mind about the importance of being there :D

It's a high quality netoworking event. The real work gets done in hospitality suites but read list of speakers...

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Conferences-Events/2012/2012-Intercollegiate-Athletics-Forum.aspx

Reaction Score
Balancing the books and keeping the program clean IS the best route to go. Unless we want to become like Rutgers and UMD, be bleeding red, dropping programs and get an invite to the B1G. :rolleyes:

You seem to think Rutgers and UMD's ADs are in better shape than ours, but you have to realize there's more to college sports than conference affiliation. Even if we're in the NNBE in 5 years there's not a doubt in my mind we'll be winning more games and still have a better run, more successful athletic department than Rutgers. Like you said, between RU, UMD and Uconn, two have had to cut back dramatically in number of sports and on the academic side due to their incompetence at running their athletic departments. That won't change. Has Illinois or Indiana become more successful with B1G network money?

Reaction Score
I don’t think I will ever forgive this guy for being out hustled by the u of l AD. I don’t know if it was true or not, but certainly the perception was, he was out hustled and in the mean time he is doing nothing to change my mind. No imagination, no infusion of energy, he continues to take the safe easy route, keeping the status quo.
If by dense you are referring to a high mass per unit volume that may be correct, however, if you mean slow to understand, I assure you I understand, the question is does WM.

Reread the bold part and tell me if it sounds as ridiculous to you as it does me. You don't know if it's true or not, but you'll never forgive him for it because some putz on the internet said so. How do you get off calling someone dense?

Reaction Score
I think his responses are great. First, it is great that Northern Illinois gets to go to the BCS, they've accomplished great things on the field there and that should be recognized and rewarded. On the priorities, even if you actually prioritize winning first (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winning_isn't_everything;_it's_the_only_thing), you should make a show of prioritizing running a clean program, especially if you are a school that has recently had run-ins with the NCAA that hurt the university perception wise. A balanced budget is or should be a requirement everywhere, no university is going to continually bail out its athletic programs. If you depend on bailouts, eventually the money stops coming and your program crashes.

They will need bailouts when the program crashes as result of the death spiral it is in. 10,000 less season tickholders is a BIG problem and only going get bigger. EWarde is missing the oportunity to make a real chan ge and make a statement, but he'd rather cover is , not rock the boat, and keep walking around like big man on campus collecting perks. Total poser with zero results.

Reaction Score
Reread the bold part and tell me if it sounds as ridiculous to you as it does me. You don't know if it's true or not, but you'll never forgive him for it because some putz on the internet said so. How do you get off calling someone dense?

The only thing that matters is the result, and right now we have been on the losing end time and time again. Whether he got out hustled, out manuevered, out smarted, or out classed, the fact is he has failed. He gets paid a lot of money to perform and get things done that improve our dire situation. He has done nothing. Absolutely nothing, other than play the role.

Reaction Score
Well, his response for the first question is not really on him. He is perceiving that his bosses are pushing him most to balance the books and keep things clean. The most heat the athletic department has gotten has been from the academic 'issues' and Text-Gate from MBB. Of course the fans are the ones who are going to scream the most for 'A'.

Even Herbst realizes the APR is a joke, she has been open about that. And people in the ACC and Big10 also know it's a joke. I'm not sure anyone is holding this against UConn. In fact, Louisville is on APR probation for football.

As for balanced budgets, Maryland and Rutgers are perhaps the two worst schools in the country when it comes to that.

Most conferences are only interested in one thing: competitive sports = eyeballs = $$$.

Reaction Score

Your right, I should have said, I don’t care if it’s true or not, however, the end result is the same.

Please reread the post, it wasn’t me calling someone dense. Iwas responding to someone calling me dense and yes someone said it on the internet so it must be true.

Reaction Score
Please reread the post, it wasn’t me calling someone dense. Iwas responding to someone calling me dense and yes someone said it on the internet so it must be true.

I guess in this instance I'm the dense one, both in terms of mass and understanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom