Warde Manuel at sports conference (some quotes) | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel at sports conference (some quotes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You can follow on Twitter at #sbjiaf , Really interesting stuff from a lot of ADs around the country

Brad Wolverton@bradwolverton
Where do you feel the most pressure? Winning, balanced budget, or running a clean program? UConn AD: "I pick B and C." #sbjiaf

Reaction Score
Warde's having a bad couple of days PR wise. Last thing he should be doing is speaking at this kind of conference as if he has accomplished something. I understand it was "convenient" because he was already in NYC, and UConn is an IMG school, but this is poor form

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Fair or not, he kind of has a vib like he likes having job but not doing the job.

Reaction Score
" rockstar" my , this guy sucks. At one of the most critical times in our athletic history we have this hat saying hurray for the little guy, go northern illinois. wtf, clearly this guy is not thinking B1G

Reaction Score
" rockstar" my , this guy sucks. At one of the most critical times in our athletic history we have this hat saying hurray for the little guy, go northern illinois. wtf, clearly this guy is not thinking B1G

Agree. UConn should always behave like a have and not a have not. It's important for the perception of the university.

Reaction Score
A9XDnhkCYAA4HbN.jpg:large

I posted this on other thread, anyone know where herbst is? She was supposed to be on the panel with emmert and nebraska and wake president.

Reaction Score
Well, his response for the first question is not really on him. He is perceiving that his bosses are pushing him most to balance the books and keep things clean. The most heat the athletic department has gotten has been from the academic 'issues' and Text-Gate from MBB. Of course the fans are the ones who are going to scream the most for 'A'.

For the Northern Illinois question, I like his answer. By saying that it's a travesty, he's directly pointing out that his own conference does not deserve it's standing the in BCS and that UConn's trip to the Fiesta Bowl should be held in the same light as an injustice to a 'more deserving school.' Fact is that if NIU plays FSU close or beats them, a lot of 'experts' are going to look kind of stupid. He's saying the little guy deserves a shot and the rules that all FBS schools are playing by says the same thing.

I may not agree with everything he has done so far, but he was dealt a pretty crappy hand (and I think he knows that) but he needs time to do things correctly. You can't take from the bottom of a house of cards and expect things to stay standing. I just hope he rewards my patience.

Reaction Score
Balancing the books and keeping the program clean IS the best route to go. Unless we want to become like Rutgers and UMD, be bleeding red, dropping programs and get an invite to the B1G. :rolleyes:

pj

Reaction Score
I think his responses are great. First, it is great that Northern Illinois gets to go to the BCS, they've accomplished great things on the field there and that should be recognized and rewarded. On the priorities, even if you actually prioritize winning first (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winning_isn't_everything;_it's_the_only_thing), you should make a show of prioritizing running a clean program, especially if you are a school that has recently had run-ins with the NCAA that hurt the university perception wise. A balanced budget is or should be a requirement everywhere, no university is going to continually bail out its athletic programs. If you depend on bailouts, eventually the money stops coming and your program crashes.

Reaction Score
Balancing the books and keeping the program clean IS the best route to go. Unless we want to become like Rutgers and UMD, be bleeding red, dropping programs and get an invite to the B1G. :rolleyes:
Hey. If that was the missing ingredient, I'm all for it. However, I'm going to guess there were some other factors involved. ;)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
im ok with what hes said so far from what i read on here today. my issue is that he is in the position he is to start with.

Reaction Score
I spoke with a new-member AD yesterday after the BE meeting ended in NYC and he said "after talking with Warde, I get the sense realignment is going to quiet down for a while." He also said Warde took the train down from Hartford, which was the only tangible fact I gleaned.

Reaction Score
Warde's having a bad couple of days PR wise. Last thing he should be doing is speaking at this kind of conference as if he has accomplished something. I understand it was "convenient" because he was already in NYC, and UConn is an IMG school, but this is poor form

You couldn't be further off base than you are - just to have UConn included is a plus. This wasn't a "he's already there for a baskeball game so let's include him". Have you read his bio at all and his involvement in NCAA committess? and to answer your question below - SH and WM were scheduled for two different sessions.

Dec. 5
9:00 a.m.
From the Office of the President/Chancellor: Accountability, Control and Oversight of Intercollegiate Athletics

Presidential oversight of athletics is supposed to ensure an appropriate balance between athletics and academics at their institution; upholding the integrity and ideals of intercollegiate athletics; and calling for necessary reform and accountability of those in charge. In this session, Mark Emmert, President, NCAA; Nathan Hatch, President, Wake Forest University; Susan Herbst, President, University of Connecticut; and Harvey Perlman, Chancellor, University of Nebraska, will discuss the challenges they face upholding their role in athletics. They will debate the most significant issues impacting athletics, including the escalating costs of running an intercollegiate athletics program and the sustainability of the intercollegiate athletics financial model. They will share insights into proposed changes to NCAA rules and regulations legislating academic standards, enforcement and penalty structures; and share their thoughts on the role and responsibility of the governing board to the oversight of athletics

9:45 a.m.
Athletic Directors Speak Out on Financial Sustainability and Competitive Fairness

One of the abundant and complex issues that college athletic administrators face on a day-to-day basis is competitive fairness. As revenue for BCS conference schools continues to increase, the gap between FBS schools continues to widen. Athletic Directors must balance the cost of staying competitive with financial sustainability. In this session, Mike Alden, Athletic Director, University of Missouri; Mike Bohn, Athletic Director, University of Colorado; Mark Hollis, Athletic Director, Michigan State University; Warde Manuel, Athletic Director, University of Connecticut; and Debbie Yow, Athletic Director, N.C. State University, will discuss the escalating costs of running intercollegiate athletics programs. They will share their thoughts on capital earned from conference television rights agreements, increased sponsorship opportunities to the 2014 four-team college football playoff proposed revenue sharing model and maximizing revenue from tickets and intellectual property.

Reaction Score
That conference was an IMG conference, UConn is a client, they basically invited us a service since we give them money.

Reaction Score
I'm not enamored with the job Warde's done. But it's to the point he could say "hello" or "good morning" and people on this board would be ripping him to shreds for it.

You guys are really duck*ing dense.

I don’t think I will ever forgive this guy for being out hustled by the u of l AD. I don’t know if it was true or not, but certainly the perception was, he was out hustled and in the mean time he is doing nothing to change my mind. No imagination, no infusion of energy, he continues to take the safe easy route, keeping the status quo.
If by dense you are referring to a high mass per unit volume that may be correct, however, if you mean slow to understand, I assure you I understand, the question is does WM.

Reaction Score
medic as I'm sure you'll recall the previous AD loved to strut around the nation in a similar fashion - hello, build up my chits so I can be the chairman of the selection committee. Meanwhile, Rome burned in Storrs. Every other one of those schools represented in NY is in a stable conference situation (w/exception of NC State). This is a dog & pony show time waster.

Reaction Score
I agree with you Huskymedic. Let the folksin attendance come away impressed with Ms. Herbst and Mr. Manuel. That's all part of the perception game, too.

Reaction Score
I spoke with a new-member AD yesterday after the BE meeting ended in NYC and he said "after talking with Warde, I get the sense realignment is going to quiet down for a while." He also said Warde took the train down from Hartford, which was the only tangible fact I gleaned.
Funny how when things do get louder on realignment we are always the coyote and never the roadrunner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom