Warde is conspicuously quiet | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Warde is conspicuously quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm sure during the contract negotiations Diaco said something to the effect of "Your football team is really bad and I'm going to need some time to work before you'll start to see any results".

now, whether Diaco has us on the path to success or not, I don't know. to me, we look way worse than we did last year. But I'm sure Diaco was promised some time to at least get his ideologies incorporated into the program

Reaction Score
huskies needed a hire who knew both sides of ball

previous post mentioned huskies have to gamble on unknowns which is false

currently are there any good high school coaches with "both sides of ball" expertise

this would be a cheap out for an aac $ challenged organization

a new hire for head coach from div 3 or 2 or 1aa or high school or mac could have been acquired who was actually a Head Coach

this current regime is saying and doing things that are very puzzling and very concerning & they're simply a whole crew of assistants

Reaction Score
saying and doing things that are very puzzling

clown.jpg

Reaction Score
We have not made an ounce of improvement on Offense. The rest has been stable. It's going to be the same for the rest of the year highlighted by the other team playing the run and Whitmer running for his life.

Reaction Score
No way does the AD make any negative comments on the team's status as it relates to coaching or personnel decisions. He gets a pass for the year but certainly there will be private discussions on performance and reassessing the strategy going forward. Warde is a football guy, a lineman no less who will know what questions to ask. Based on his experience with the prior staff he's less likely to swallow any BS at the expense of what his eyes are telling him. So they get this year to figure it out but next year I would assume some assistant jobs are on the line if we don't see progress on offense.

As for the line itself I've said this before, you can have athletes but you need athletes with instincts on the line. You need good communication and recognition not just the intent to block someone. And myself and others have mentioned it would be nice to see a guy get frustrated and wallop somebody. I'm all for discipline because the position demands it, but a little passion is overdue given the circumstances. All the coaching during the week is great but sometimes a leader needs to do something to draw the line and take back some respect.

I think I also mentioned a couple of years ago how much I loved watching the Ansonia offense operate. Especially the line blocking and execution. Maybe those coaches don't have the pedigree to be successful at a more sophisticated level but there has to be something we can learn from a system that always seems to work.

Reaction Score
I would argue we have digressed on O. My big fear is that the constant harping over how bad the O is and how we have to simplify the scheme for them is simply a death spiral. Each game we turtle more and more. Each game the D creeps closer to the line, making it harder on the O line. We had flashes of O in BYU and Boise games. But things started bad in a monsoon, and since one might argue we have seen a near complete loss of confidence by the staff. We knew the O line would be our weakness; we didn't think it would be this bad. But I fear we are making it increasingly more difficult on them each week in words and actions.

BTW, anyone expecting WM to say or do anything at this point is naive. This was a rebuild from the start. Someone suggested Diaco said as much during his interview. My guess is WM might have said it. MSU's AD was pretty clear last year that Dan Mullen was on thin ice - when you get caught up in the short-term, when you dont understand how to build a program, when you listen to the fans, you put yourself one move away from being one of them.

Reaction Score
Here's what I worry about in year 2 for Diaco. We don't know if we have a single player who can play D1 OL. If Crozier, Rutherford, Oak, and company aren't quite ready yet, we are going to suck again. Throw in the uncertainty at QB and losing Davis and Foxx, and our offense could actually be worse next year. Defensively losing Jones will hurt but I don't think we take a step back. But if none of those kids on the OL are ready, and whoever steps in at QB isn't that good? Yikes.

I'm hoping that the mobility of the QB's next year could help the O-line some. We can have more roll outs or draw plays that can lead to and option here and there. I honestly refuse to believe that the O-line can be any worse than it is now. Maybe that's me being an optimist but I just can't see the players continuing the trend with another year of this system and S&C. I may be wrong and it probably will be thrown in my face, but this is rock bottom. The only other place to go is in the grave.

Reaction Score
I think the offensive line is bearing the brunt of the perception of sh--tyness that the offense has put together this season, but it's not entirely accurate, or precise. Believe it or not, I think the OL is improving. They don't have the foot skills, balance, and communication/tightness that a veteran group should have, and that only gets fixed with more training, practice and time together. They can't play wide splits because of it, and are playing small and compact on the field because of it, leaving the edges open for wider angles. Arkeel Newsome didn't fumble twice in the backfield, he was pretty far downfield. Whitmer showed what a QB that is an actual run threat can do with the blocking up front. Pass protection failure, is not all on the OL, when the defense is shooting the A and B gaps and coming from the edges, running double pressures inside and out, and we are seeing the same kinds of pressures on run and passing downs.

We are going to be seeing that kind of pressure from defenses all season long. We either have got to get better at blocking it with the I-formation base offense, which isn't rocket science, and not impossible, you just can't have your TE's and Backs screw up their assignments (it's a given that the OL can't screw up their assignments) - and when you're 1-1 in a block situation, you got to actually make the block, rather than get steamrolled. OR - we got to scrap that kind of offense, go shotgun, single back protect set, spread wide, and start dinking and dunking. Defenses are only going to get more and more aggressive at pressuring this offense.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think the offensive line is bearing the brunt of the perception of sh--tyness that the offense has put together this season, but it's not entirely accurate, or precise. Believe it or not, I think the OL is improving. They don't have the foot skills, balance, and communication/tightness that a veteran group should have, and that only gets fixed with more training, practice and time together. They can't play wide splits because of it, and are playing small and compact on the field because of it, leaving the edges open for wider angles. Arkeel Newsome didn't fumble twice in the backfield, he was pretty far downfield. Whitmer showed what a QB that is an actual run threat can do with the blocking up front. Pass protection failure, is not all on the OL, when the defense is shooting the A and B gaps and coming from the edges, running double pressures inside and out, and we are seeing the same kinds of pressures on run and passing downs.

We are going to be seeing that kind of pressure from defenses all season long. We either have got to get better at blocking it with the I-formation base offense, which isn't rocket science, and not impossible, you just can't have your TE's and Backs screw up their assignments (it's a given that the OL can't screw up their assignments) - and when you're 1-1 in a block situation, you got to actually make the block, rather than get steamrolled. OR - we got to scrap that kind of offense, go shotgun, single back protect set, spread wide, and start dinking and dunking. Defenses are only going to get more and more aggressive at pressuring this offense.

Good post, Carl.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Wonder where his head's at with his signature hire.

Zero patients from the fan base when things were so damn bad last year.

He should let the HCBD do what he wants with the football program and not interfere. Not sure what some of you think he should do?

This sucks, but I have faith he will get things right, because thinking otherwise means UCONN football will be crappy for another 3-4 years and I don't want to think that way.

Reaction Score
I said this during P's first year when you, whaler, and a few others declared the hire a fail (credit to you both that you were right) and I'll say it again. It's too early to declare Diaco a failure. 6 games is nowhere near enough. Has he done things that make me question whether he is gonna be good long term? Absolutely.

But I wouldn't expect to hear anything from WM at this point because frankly, it would be inappropriate to even comment on Diaco other than a standard vote of confidence.

I haven't given up on him. However he took a five car pileup and somehow converted it into a train wreck.

He's not exactly the picture of composure on the sideline, he runs around frantically doing god knows what, whenever I have observed a leader who operated like that, he or she was almost was never successful or effective. The crazier things get the calmer the leader ought to be. And I think it reflects on the field. The team only really looks composed when it is playing defense.

I still think back to that halftime talk during the Stony Brook game. Talking to the reporter, he was a jumbled mess who really didn't string together one coherent thought and rambled about tapping the rock. He looked like a man that was caught in the fray, not above the fray, directing it, and pulling the strings.

I'll cut the guy some slack because so many freshmen are playing (but did they have to play?). Losing the best QB was a blow, but it wasn't like Diaco had planned to rely on him. He actually concocted this crazy scheme to bench him in the red zone. Talk about being a tease! That is totally brutal, it would be like your girlfriend, wife, mistress or whatever making you stop before... Well you know.

But that whole tactic was utterly batshit crazy. And I could go on and on about his crazy ideas that are crazy for the sake of it.

I wish he would just put the best 11 on the field as much as possible and stop with the cuteness.

Reaction Score
I haven't given up on him. However he took a five car pileup and somehow converted it into a train wreck.

He's not exactly the picture of composure on the sideline, he runs around frantically doing god knows what, whenever I have observed a leader who operated like that, he or she was almost was never successful or effective. The crazier things get the calmer the leader ought to be. And I think it reflects on the field. The team only really looks composed when it is playing defense.

I still think back to that halftime talk during the Stony Brook game. Talking to the reporter, he was a jumbled mess who really didn't string together one coherent thought and rambled about tapping the rock. He looked like a man that was caught in the fray, not above the fray, directing it, and pulling the strings.

I'll cut the guy some slack because so many freshmen are playing (but did they have to play?). Losing the best QB was a blow, but it wasn't like Diaco had planned to rely on him. He actually concocted this crazy scheme to bench him in the red zone. Talk about being a tease! That is totally brutal, it would be like your girlfriend, wife, mistress or whatever making you stop before... Well you know.

But that whole tactic was utterly bat crazy. And I could go on and on about his crazy ideas that are crazy for the sake of it.

I wish he would just put the best 11 on the field as much as possible and stop with the cuteness.

I wrote somewhere else touching on this concept, I've also noticed it. He's got some growing to do as a head coach for sure. In the past 2 games, we had stupid energy/focus mistakes on the 2nd half kickoffs. the Offsides against Temple - and then a late hit/roughing on Lee. I'm pretty sure it was the opening 2nd half kick against Tulane, but I was half in the bag by then. Either way - my guess, and I'd bet money on it if I was gambler, that Diaco has had the team so fired up in the locker room that they are out of control coming out. You need to find a balance. You need to be focused and amped, but calm and collected and focused at the same time. Can only hope that he develops. Motivational speaking is a lot different than motivating. The speaking part is only part of it, and it's not always necessary, and anyone that's ever studied things like people, and information, will tell you that the spoken word is tiny, tiny part of communication. Body language, visuals, facial expressions - much more expressive. You can only hope he develops it, as he goes along, because the captain is never out of control with whatever is going on, and the captain always knows what to do, even if the captain doesn't really know what to do, and the captain is not in control of what's going on. Diaco got an early promotion, as far as I can tell. Nothing wrong with that, but got to show growth and learning.

I also wish he would settle on a lineup of what he thinks is his best 11 players and start weighing reps heavily.

Lost in all of this craptastic performance against Tulane, is the fact that Boyle played only one series. Nobody has asked if he was intended to play more and got the hook because of the INT. That would take football smarts to know to ask. Because I highly doubt that Boyle was only going to play one series, and that means that during the week, instead of getting heavy weighted reps to Whitmer and the offense, reps were divided between the offense with Boyle at QB and Whitmer at QB. how the hell are we going to develop consistency?

I've really had it with the rotating of QB's. No more for me. This team needs consistency, there are way too many young players, and you don't get consistency when you have limited practice time and reps to spread around, and are dividing it up like we've been doing.

Reaction Score
His head looks like a wolverine looking to take the first train to Michigan.

I think Michigan is thinking bigger than Warde Manuel. They'll probably get some lawyer from Chicago or Indianapolis a la Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
I wrote somewhere else touching on this concept, I've also noticed it. He's got some growing to do as a head coach for sure. In the past 2 games, we had stupid energy/focus mistakes on the 2nd half kickoffs. the Offsides against Temple - and then a late hit/roughing on Lee. I'm pretty sure it was the opening 2nd half kick against Tulane, but I was half in the bag by then. Either way - my guess, and I'd bet money on it if I was gambler, that Diaco has had the team so fired up in the locker room that they are out of control coming out. You need to find a balance. You need to be focused and amped, but calm and collected and focused at the same time. Can only hope that he develops. Motivational speaking is a lot different than motivating. The speaking part is only part of it, and it's not always necessary, and anyone that's ever studied things like people, and information, will tell you that the spoken word is tiny, tiny part of communication. Body language, visuals, facial expressions - much more expressive. You can only hope he develops it, as he goes along, because the captain is never out of control with whatever is going on, and the captain always knows what to do, even if the captain doesn't really know what to do, and the captain is not in control of what's going on. Diaco got an early promotion, as far as I can tell. Nothing wrong with that, but got to show growth and learning.

I also wish he would settle on a lineup of what he thinks is his best 11 players and start weighing reps heavily.

Lost in all of this craptastic performance against Tulane, is the fact that Boyle played only one series. Nobody has asked if he was intended to play more and got the hook because of the INT. That would take football smarts to know to ask. Because I highly doubt that Boyle was only going to play one series, and that means that during the week, instead of getting heavy weighted reps to Whitmer and the offense, reps were divided between the offense with Boyle at QB and Whitmer at QB. how the hell are we going to develop consistency?

I've really had it with the rotating of QB's. No more for me. This team needs consistency, there are way too many young players, and you don't get consistency when you have limited practice time and reps to spread around, and are dividing it up like we've been doing.

Here is another gross contradiction. If Whitmer is done after this season, and this season is all about getting better, then wtf is the point in playing Whitmer?

None of this garbage adds up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Here is another gross contradiction. If Whitmer is done after this season, and this season is all about getting better, then wtf is the point in playing Whitmer?

None of this garbage adds up.

I agree with whaler in that it all adds up fine if you consider the possibility that Boyle isn't the future.

Reaction Score
I agree with whaler in that it all adds up fine if you consider the possibility that Boyle isn't the future.

Then WHY THE duck did he take a single snap against Tulane?

Reaction Score

At this point, either play the kid or don't. Playing him like he has been is counter productive to his development and it's not like they can properly evaluate him based on the limited snaps he's taken. Honestly they've screwed with him so badly I'll be shocked if he's here next year. And if he's not I wouldn't blame him one bit.

Reaction Score
Zero patients from the fan base when things were so damn bad last year.

He should let the HCBD do what he wants with the football program and not interfere. Not sure what some of you think he should do?

This sucks, but I have faith he will get things right, because thinking otherwise means UCONN football will be crappy for another 3-4 years and I don't want to think that way.

I agree. The problem is that we all are trying to understand Diaco's way of thinking.

Why call some of the plays that make no sense?
Why call Boyle the quarterback of the future and play him only one set of downs at Tulane?
How does he see improvement in the offense when clearly it has gone backwards?

I have officially thrown the towel in. Not on UCONN football but trying to figure Diaco out.

I am going to sit back and wait for good things to happen.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Then WHY THE duck did he take a single snap against Tulane?

Honestly - I think he plays him enough to show somebody he isnt the answer.

I think there is a back story to this that we will never know - I think the pain in the leg was BS. Dont buy it at all. I didnt understand the 4 or 5 snaps at Temple nor the two in Tulane. What I did understand is once he got picked he is OUT.
He called his throw at Temple 'lack of focus, lack of intensity' - I dont remember him using those words to describe a Chandler pick or fumble.

Maybe I shouldnt speculate - it is a 'message board' though - so its all good I suppose.

Reaction Score
Honestly - I think he plays him enough to show somebody he isnt the answer.

I think there is a back story to this that we will never know - I think the pain in the leg was BS. Dont buy it at all. I didnt understand the 4 or 5 snaps at Temple nor the two in Tulane. What I did understand is once he got picked he is OUT.
He called his throw at Temple 'lack of focus, lack of intensity' - I dont remember him using those words to describe a Chandler pick or fumble.

Maybe I shouldnt speculate - it is a 'message board' though - so its all good I suppose.

This post is where those who have questions regarding Boyle need to focus.

Reaction Score
Nostical said:
Ms.Herbst asked HCBD to stop by her office (during the bye week) to give him a pep talk. She also spoke recently to Jim Calhoun who advised her that it will take time to turn the tide and to be patient with the program and coach. As long as the Prez has BD's back (and she does) he isn't going anywhere.

If I trust anyone's judgement it is JC.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If I trust anyone's judgement it is JC.

All due respect to Herbst and Calhoun as a university president and a hall of fame basketball coach, but when it comes to UConn football there's 15 guys on here I'd rather give input then either of them.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
All due respect to Herbst and Calhoun as a university president and a hall of fame basketball coach, but when it comes to UConn football there's 15 guys on here I'd rather give input then either of them.
Yeah, and each of those fifteen is a better football mind than the ten professional coaches who have combined decades of experience (and a couple who put some time in on NFL teams).

The boneyard can be amazing at times. Someone wins a game on Madden and thinks he's Vince Lombardi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom