Warde is conspicuously quiet | The Boneyard

Warde is conspicuously quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
6 games is way too early to be making any kind of comments about the coach. Diaco should and will get a 1 year mulligan on 2014, especially since the program's best QB was lost due to injury. That said, fast forward to week 7 of 2015 and if we're 1-5 and looking like absolute again, then yeah, it's time for the good ol' "vote of confidence" or "program evaluation" talk.

All we are going to hear between now and the end of the season is patience.

Reaction Score
I said this during P's first year when you, whaler, and a few others declared the hire a fail (credit to you both that you were right) and I'll say it again. It's too early to declare Diaco a failure. 6 games is nowhere near enough. Has he done things that make me question whether he is gonna be good long term? Absolutely.

But I wouldn't expect to hear anything from WM at this point because frankly, it would be inappropriate to even comment on Diaco other than a standard vote of confidence.

Reaction Score
I said this during P's first year when you, whaler, and a few others declared the hire a fail (credit to you both that you were right) and I'll say it again. It's too early to declare Diaco a failure. 6 games is nowhere near enough. Has he done things that make me question whether he is gonna be good long term? Absolutely.

But I wouldn't expect to hear anything from WM at this point because frankly, it would be inappropriate to even comment on Diaco other than a standard vote of confidence.

Completely agree with you. It's very rare that a coach (especially a rookie coach) can step into a program and turn it around in one year. Look at Petrino, Strong left him with a solid program and Louisville is looking pretty pedestrian this year. Temple last year under Rhule went 2-10 and looked to be the same Temple that got kicked out of the Big East. This year, they've been competitive in every game and seem to have really bought into Rhule. Even Memphis is getting better under their second year coach. I still think Diaco and turn it around and I think next year will show what he can or cannot do with this program.

Reaction Score
I've not given up on Diaco like I had with PP mid way through year one but am interested in what the AD is thinking at this point. I keep expecting the long view Diaco is taking to reap rewards but man, we barely have a pulse on offense and just lost to Tulane...Tulane for chris sakes

Reaction Score
Completely agree with you. It's very rare that a coach (especially a rookie coach) can step into a program and turn it around in one year. Look at Petrino, Strong left him with a solid program and Louisville is looking pretty pedestrian this year. Temple last year under Rhule went 2-10 and looked to be the same Temple that got kicked out of the Big East. This year, they've been competitive in every game and seem to have really bought into Rhule. Even Memphis is getting better under their second year coach. I still think Diaco and turn it around and I think next year will show what he can or cannot do with this program.

Here's what I worry about in year 2 for Diaco. We don't know if we have a single player who can play D1 OL. If Crozier, Rutherford, Oak, and company aren't quite ready yet, we are going to suck again. Throw in the uncertainty at QB and losing Davis and Foxx, and our offense could actually be worse next year. Defensively losing Jones will hurt but I don't think we take a step back. But if none of those kids on the OL are ready, and whoever steps in at QB isn't that good? Yikes.

Reaction Score
Easy to get frustrated with the results & coaching decisions thus far, but maybe we really are that bad. The OL is a nightmare. Even if CC were still healthy he'd be running for his life most of the time. Diaco's got a big job on his hands to fix this mess.

Reaction Score
There is really nothing Warde can say.

I imagine he's thinking about what he can do to speed up BD's development.
I imagine that he's thing about how this is screwing up his resume.

Reaction Score
Ms.Herbst asked HCBD to stop by her office (during the bye week) to give him a pep talk. She also spoke recently to Jim Calhoun who advised her that it will take time to turn the tide and to be patient with the program and coach. As long as the Prez has BD's back (and she does) he isn't going anywhere.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
As a manager, the it's too early line is complete bunk. If you know something isn't going to work then you address it immediately. There is no reason to continue and expect different results.

That was the case with P after year two. It was obvious. That is not the current case with Diaco. There had better be meetings concerning the Olinemen and plans to improve the same.

They better know what the problem is, and the excuse, " these guys aren't talented," isn't good enough for a professional coaching staff. They better have drilled down to the causes and develop a plan to address it.

Are they too slow? Is next year's line faster? Are they not in the right physical condition? What's S&C doing about it? Are they confused? Looks like it, then spend more better time in the film/meeting room, etc. etc.

The answers to these questions should show Warde's all he needs to know about his coaching staff and whether this will be turned around next year, because there is always an excuse for needing better more experienced players.

His media skills class can wait for the off season. Maybe JC, GA, and KO can give him some pointers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ms.Herbst asked HCBD to stop by her office (during the bye week) to give him a pep talk. She also spoke recently to Jim Calhoun who advised her that it will take time to turn the tide and to be patient with the program and coach. As long as the Prez has BD's back (and she does) he isn't going anywhere.
This is a true story?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is a true story?
The president of the school on down are fully supportive of the new staff.

It also is likely as much a directive of the school's leadership as it is the belief of the head coach that we do not take any shortcuts (which many fans have been clamoring for) in the process of rebuilding the program.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Here's what I worry about in year 2 for Diaco. We don't know if we have a single player who can play D1 OL. If Crozier, Rutherford, Oak, and company aren't quite ready yet, we are going to suck again. Throw in the uncertainty at QB and losing Davis and Foxx, and our offense could actually be worse next year. Defensively losing Jones will hurt but I don't think we take a step back. But if none of those kids on the OL are ready, and whoever steps in at QB isn't that good? Yikes.
And that's the danger of any coach coming into a rebuild situation. There may not be enough time or patience to determine if the situation is coach related or personnel related and the coach doesn't get a fair opportunity to prove himself.

For the most part the defense looks well coached. So the coaching staff isn't totally incompetent. I would say Foley is competent because we have evidence of his coaching success. So that means the failure with the offense is either the players or some improper assessment by Cummings and Foley.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You know things are bad when....mods start trolling their own site.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What is Warde going to say? Diaco is the guy at this point, and if Warde says anything to undermine him, the spotlight will shine on Warde. We knew that a first time coach would have some growing pains.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
As a manager, the it's too early line is complete bunk. If you know something isn't going to work then you address it immediately. There is no reason to continue and expect different results.

That was the case with P after year two. It was obvious. That is not the current case with Diaco. There had better be meetings concerning the Olinemen and plans to improve the same.

They better know what the problem is, and the excuse, " these guys aren't talented," isn't good enough for a professional coaching staff. They better have drilled down to the causes and develop a plan to address it.

Are they too slow? Is next year's line faster? Are they not in the right physical condition? What's S&C doing about it? Are they confused? Looks like it, then spend more better time in the film/meeting room, etc. etc.

The answers to these questions should show Warde's all he needs to know about his coaching staff and whether this will be turned around next year, because there is always an excuse for needing better more experienced players.

His media skills class can wait for the off season. Maybe JC, GA, and KO can give him some pointers.
I'm normally in agreement with you on most subjects but disagree with you on this.

If you or I find an employee inadequate, we replace them immediately. Obviously coaches at the college level can't do that. It's a once a year deal.

This year's recruiting process by the coaches began well before they could properly assess the players. Practice is not always a perfect indicator of game ability.

You and I have resumes we rely on. We're most likely going to hire relatively known commodities. Coaches have this opportunity as well when they are the top dogs of the coaching world. UConn football is not in that position. It has to go after unknowns. Geno on the other hand can act closer to the way you and I select candidates.

Reaction Score

Warde is much too busy to be conspicuous because he is heavily involved in actively monitoring the Michigan AD situation.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
And that's the danger of any coach coming into a rebuild situation. There may not be enough time or patience to determine if the situation is coach related or personnel related and the coach doesn't get a fair opportunity to prove himself.

For the most part the defense looks well coached. So the coaching staff isn't totally incompetent. I would say Foley is competent because we have evidence of his coaching success. So that means the failure with the offense is either the players or some improper assessment by Cummings and Foley.
I don't know what happened with Rugg & Schafenacker (and that neither could crack the two deep is stunning) but I believe that any coach with any confidence in his abilities would have believed last January that by August he could have improved each enough to have been contributors.

One thing that RE placed an enormous priority on was discipline. Under PP discipline was left entirely on the players (and when that happens things slowly fall apart) and restoring it to a level necessary for succes will take time (I imagine that this is the bulk of the culture change that Diaco keeps mentioning). There is no position grouping on a football team that is more dependent on discipline than an offensive line. We are seeing the fallout of a few years of neglect.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
fleudslipcon said:
I'm normally in agreement with you on most subjects but disagree with you on this.

If you or I find an employee inadequate, we replace them immediately. Obviously coaches at the college level can't do that. It's a once a year deal.

This year's recruiting process by the coaches began well before they could properly assess the players. Practice is not always a perfect indicator of game ability.

You and I have resumes we rely on. We're most likely going to hire relatively known commodities. Coaches have this opportunity as well when they are the top dogs of the coaching world. UConn football is not in that position. It has to go after unknowns. Geno on the other hand can act closer to the way you and I select candidates.

I didn't say replace them immediately. I said once you know it isn't going to work, take action to change it. Also didn't say we were at that point with Diaco, far from it, as fans. But, this by any measure has been a disaster of a season. Warde's should be evaluating the staff performance on dealing with this adversity. It will serve him well next year if we are 2-16 under BD on Oct 15th 2015.

The arrow is pointed up? Down? At what pace?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The worst thing that happened to screw with the psyche of UConn fans was FG that propelled us into the Fiesta Bowl. Miss it and we are 7-5, going to whatever bowl. The talent since then at QB has been non-existent, at least among those who didn't transfer. The one kid who showed up (against some of our worst competition last year) is gone as well. The one holdover coach the whole BY was happy about has the worst performing unit on the team.

Obviously, a trip to the tooth surgeon is easier to take than this year's O. Is there an O that can be designed to take advantage of the best skill players on O? Seems to me that if Newsome is the best breakaway back, good luck to him with that line. If the receivers who are most productive (Davis and Foxx) are limited to 5 yard throws because the QB is always running for his life, good luck on that as well. As soon as an O is totally limited by the way our line play allows, you get what we see. Diaco can't fix the personnel he's stuck with. If the O line coach can't get a handle on this group, what is Diaco going to do? The D has been generally acceptable.

Anyone watch the Giants/Eagles last night? Tell me what success the Giants were going to have the way their lines (both sides of the line) played. Coughlin has won a Super Bowl or two. He would have no more success with our O than Diaco has had.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I don't know what happened with Rugg & Schafenacker (and that neither could crack the two deep is stunning) but I believe that any coach with any confidence in his abilities would have believed last January that by August he could have improved each enough to have been contributors.

One thing that RE placed an enormous priority on was discipline. Under PP discipline was left entirely on the players (and when that happens things slowly fall apart) and restoring it to a level necessary for succes will take time (I imagine that this is the bulk of the culture change that Diaco keeps mentioning). There is no position grouping on a football team that is more dependent on discipline than an offensive line. We are seeing the fallout of a few years of neglect.
This would be my take as well. It's hard to know how much of the problem is physical limitation and how much is intellectual and emotional limitation. It's easier to evaluate physical limitations. The conditioning amongst the players was poor and obvious to most of us. Less obvious is the emotional make up of the players.

Purely speculative, but I would guess PP and staff preferred players who were laid back and/or less likely to rebel against GD's heavy handiness. Diaco would prefer players who are self motivational and willing to be developed.

Reaction Score

Well....maybe ya can ;)
@Deadspin: New Tennessee track coach cuts freshmen three weeks into the school year, because "I wouldn't have recruited you": http://t.cdeadsp.in/6YGHB6u

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
UConn got stomped in front of Warde's prior employer last year (Buffalo) and UConn just layed an egg in Warde's hometown (New Orleans).
His sick and tired of being sick and tired meter has to be teetering.
No one likes to look the fool in front of friends and colleagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom