Walz Plans To Win | The Boneyard

Walz Plans To Win

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“We’re going up there with the plan to win," he said after Louisville beat Clemson on Wednesday night. "We know we're going to have to play much better than tonight but at the same time we played well enough throughout this season that we can compete.”

Louisville forward Sam Fuehring sees Monday's game, and this season, as a chance to reinvent the Cardinals as the standard in women's college basketball.

“The coaches usually say, ‘Play hard like UConn,’ and they’ll compare us to UConn, but I hate it because we got to play like Louisville," she said. "We got to play our best every single time. There’s nothing wrong with comparing it to UConn because they are the best, but I love that we can play like Louisville. I want people to say ‘Play like Louisville,’ not, ‘Play like UConn.’”

"Defensively is where we’re going to have to play the best that we’ve played all year because they all score," Walz said. "They’re the one team that we play, for my 11 years here, that you can’t junk anything up."

No. 4 Louisville women's basketball will face No. 1 UConn 'with the plan to win'

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Walz breaking news, a surprising twist on the old "we are getting ready to start the bus home after 5 minutes" coaching philosophy. Wowee.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
How is that kicking the hornets nest
I think this quote by Sam might do the trick:
She paused for a split second, then restated what millions will soon evaluate as Louisville's fate plays out on television and under the lights in Storrs: "They’re the best and we can play with them."

Reaction Score
I don't believe Fuehring has faced UCONN. She may be very surprised by what she sees and experiences.

Come on................I think it's perfectly understandable why somewhat successful programs don't want to be constantly compared to UConn................. I've known Ms Fuehring since she was a freshman in high school and she's really nice person (last time I saw her I called her kid.....she didn't seem to mind)..............I'm sure she has nothing but respect for the UConn program................

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
L'ville just blew out ND, a team that UCONN needed a heroic 4th quarter to come from 10+ down to beat. They SHOULD be confident. UCONN is banged up (Danger, Gabby, Lou) and Azura has shown that playing her anything physical in the post completely takes her out of her game. UCF, Texas and ND all showed different ways to beat the Huskies (or take them out of what they like to do). If L'ville can play us physical like UCF, and hit some shots, they definitely could win.

Having said that, UCONN has traditionally been a horrible matchup for L'ville - they don't have the size to bother us like Texas (and Baylor), they don't usually have the tremendous guard play like ND, and they like to play fast which plays into our hands.

If you only looked at each teams' performance against common foe ND, it would appear L'ville is the better team. There are no other common opponents. But the fact is, you can't just compare both teams' against ND and say "L'ville will win". I do expect UCONN to win by 20+ because for everything L'ville likes to do, it's similar to UCONN and IMHO we do it better. We will see Monday though!!

Reaction Score
I hope it'll be a great game, and that the Cardinals offer our favorite team a real test. Personally, I'm gratified by the emerging reality that other programs are gradually getting closer to UConn, and, in the case of Louisville in particular, it would be terrific to see an intense, take-no-prisoners kind of rivalry develop...'twould be great for the game and generate huge fan interest. If Louisville can go on the road and pull off an upset, a contingency that I strongly doubt, well, hats off to them. The ultimate outcome won't be freighted with much meaning, except to folks who are emotionally invested in an undefeated regular season, but I'd much prefer a nail-biter to a yawner. Still, if Crystal is back to anywhere near her normal form, I very much like the Huskies' chances!

Reaction Score
I have to assume he goes into every game, not just against UCONN, with a "plan" to win. As it regards UCONN his "plan" hasn't really worked out that well so far.
Absolutely!!! One would think every Coach, (Professional, College, even HS), would always devise a "plan" to win... whether it happens or not is another story...and left to execution vs the other Team's similar "plan"... but they have to have confidence in their team and develop that plan. Just like after their big win over ND, and MM saying they were "best team in country"...and writers saying they were going to take some of UConn's #1 votes in the polls... all Coach Walz said in response to the question as to whether he thought his Team was #1,... "No... that's UConn... no need to poke the bear." (or words to that effect).

I'm looking for a great game... I'll be watching on TV this time, vice ESPN3 online, and that's always a treat!

GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Geno should just sit and rest all the starters. Play all the the reserves To get them ready for the tournament.
The game means nothing.
Give ESPN something to talk about instead of a 30 point blowout. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ;);) :p:p :D

Reaction Score
And Gampel goes off the charts right away. How lucky if you have a ticket !

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Come on......I think it's perfectly understandable why somewhat successful programs don't want to be constantly compared to UConn....... I've known Ms Fuehring since she was a freshman in high school and she's really nice person (last time I saw her I called her kid.....she didn't seem to mind)....I'm sure she has nothing but respect for the UConn program......
My post had nothing to do with her comments, as far as her showing disrespect. I was thinking of how surprised many players are to the efficient and precise way UCONN runs it's offense and prevents other teams from running their offense when they face UCONN for the first time, ala South Carolina, Oregon, and other teams. Some players watch UCONN play and say that they should be able to stay with UCONN and then when they play they see just how difficult it really is. Many teams that face UCONN for the first time are overwhelmed by their efficiency. I also believe Ms. Fuehring was showing respect for the program.

Reaction Score
On Monday the Cards will do their typical"snatch defeat from the jaws of defeat" at the hands of the superior huskies and Ms Feuring will get her faux Louisville legitimacy if they only lose by 20 points or less.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I have to assume he goes into every game, not just against UCONN, with a "plan" to win. As it regards UCONN his "plan" hasn't really worked out that well so far.

Isn't that what EVERY coach is suppose to say before EVERY game? Players take their cue from the head coach. When AAC teams play UConn, the coach's pre-game motivational speech MUST be a "positive" one. You'll never beat any team if you enter the game with a defeated attitude. Even if a coach knows his/her team is going to get "smoked" BIG TIME by UConn (or any other team), they can't tell their team that, and suggest they just go out there and compete as hard as they can, and maybe get a moral victory. :eek: You never want to poison the well. If you go into a game thinking you're going to lose, you will.

Conventional wisdom says it's not wise to poke the bear either. You never want to give UConn (or any other team) extra motivation to beat you before the game starts, ala Bill Belichick. He always signs the other team's praises in the days leading up to Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
L'ville just blew out ND, a team that UCONN needed a heroic 4th quarter to come from 10+ down to beat. They SHOULD be confident. UCONN is banged up (Danger, Gabby, Lou) and Azura has shown that playing her anything physical in the post completely takes her out of her game. UCF, Texas and ND all showed different ways to beat the Huskies (or take them out of what they like to do). If L'ville can play us physical like UCF, and hit some shots, they definitely could win.

Having said that, UCONN has traditionally been a horrible matchup for L'ville - they don't have the size to bother us like Texas (and Baylor), they don't usually have the tremendous guard play like ND, and they like to play fast which plays into our hands.

If you only looked at each teams' performance against common foe ND, it would appear L'ville is the better team. There are no other common opponents. But the fact is, you can't just compare both teams' against ND and say "L'ville will win". I do expect UCONN to win by 20+ because for everything L'ville likes to do, it's similar to UCONN and IMHO we do it better. We will see Monday though!!

You also can't get down early to UConn. It's very hard to catch up. Basketball is a game of "runs". IF UConn begins the game on a 8-12 point run, you have to go on one or more as well. Asia Durr was in a zone the night they played ND. Chances are very good that she won't be in one Monday. I look for Durr to have an average game (19.8 ppg/29.6 mins) at best, especially if Kia is assigned to guard her. We've seen recently Kia completely shut down an opposing guard. Somebody is going to have to have an exceptional game in order for Louisville to win. If everyone scores their average, it's not going to be enough. UConn should score at least 75 points. Louisville's entire team's individual's total ppg is only 78 ppg. We know everyone is not going to score their average Monday. Not against UConn's defense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Come on......I think it's perfectly understandable why somewhat successful programs don't want to be constantly compared to UConn....... I've known Ms Fuehring since she was a freshman in high school and she's really nice person (last time I saw her I called her kid.....she didn't seem to mind)....I'm sure she has nothing but respect for the UConn program......

Every team FIRST must have RESPECT for their own team---everything else is next. I applaud her thoughts. I'm sure each Uconn kid thinks the same way--it's US against them and you have to prove you can beat US. I have no respect for a player on another team that is beaten before they begin.

Reaction Score
Massey forecasts the score as 79-64 UConn, with a 93% chance that UConn wins. That should be somewhat reassuring.

Reaction Score

Really good analysis!
Style wise Louisville will have more than its hands full. As you stated they don't match up well with U Conn.
Yes we should be concerned as they are one of the better teams in the country. But the same was said before the SC game (who actually matched up much better) and look what happened there.
This team seems to play up or down (in a few instances) to its competition. U Conn will be highly motivated and incredibly well prepared strategically, physically and mentally to win this game. Most importantly a win pretty much ensures the #1 seed in the tournament. Remaining undefeated I believe is very important to the upperclassmen who were here for last years loss. The final score often is not a full reflection of the game and the play. Top teams and coaches have tended to leave in their starters to the bitter end to minimize how rough it went.
Crystal will be out there busting her butt hopefully with a lot less pain. Her floor leadership will make a huge difference and put Kia back to where she plays best as the off guard hitting open threes. And guarding and slowing down Asia Durr.
What the final score or point differential is, I will be surprised if this is a close, competitive game throughout.
Bronx23

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
EricLA was correct in that Louiseville does not match up well with UConn traditionally. They try to run an up-tempo game and that feeds right into UConn's mantra, which they do it better than anyone.

That said, we are fans of UConn and to be honest, most of us sneer at opposing coaches and players when they make innocuous comments on the upcoming games, as if "how dare they!". CharlieBB is spot on, these comments are perfectly fair, logical and what I would want my team say. Some of the comments on here are disrespectful back at either Coach Walz or this young lady (and yes, I mean young lady-age 19, please keep that in mind). We should know better-say good luck, and we wish you well in handling 40 minutes of hell to coin the Arkansas theme from 1990.

I have seen Louisville play numerous times this year and they are a good team, who seem to really like and respect each other, a mini-UConn if you will. I think this is a 15-20 win for UConn but a good game and will be fun to see Kia on Durr, Gabby on Hines-Allen and whoever Lou can find to guard Lou...

For me, I like the guy, I like what he's trying to build there, which seems to have taken and he's on the next tier of coaches after Geno/Tara/Muffet. In the tier with Kim and Dawn. Plus, he helps with USA Basketball, kudos to him.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The last time Louisville faced UConn was the finals of the Big East Tournament in 2014 at the Mohegan Sun. The #3 Cardinals lost to the #1 Huskies by 20 points in that game. Nobody on the current Louisville team has ever faced anyone like UConn, let alone at Gampel, which is a very difficult place for visiting teams to play. Teams that haven't played against UConn usually receive a tough basketball lesson on ball movement and defense. I expect the Huskies to overwhelm the Cardinals early. Durr may well score 20 points or more, but she'll probably need to take 30 shots in the process.

Reaction Score
If Durr is on her game she can keep it fairly close and if Hines Allen is also playing well they can keep it very close......Fuehring is much improved this year and is something of a force in the paint and is an effort player...............take two of those three away and Louisville has little chance of winning

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom