Walz Plans To Win | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Walz Plans To Win

Reaction Score
I love her attitude. That's how you build a program!

If you knew what this young lady has been through in her life you would have even more respect for her..............she's been living with team mates and friends and other family members off and on much of the time since she was young as her family was in grave financial difficulty and couldn't afford a place to live, lost multiple family members when she was an early teen.........you name it.........but she never gave up and promised her family she would get a scholarship so they didn't have to worry about paying for college.........growing up is tough for any kid but I think she's turned out great considering her situation.....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I like how fired up people are. But I just got a tickle out of her saying she's tired of Louisville coaches saying they have to play like UConn! Thought she was an excellent spokes person for her team. Jeff has a plan, but as the Ear Eater said: Everybody has a plan .... well, you know the rest. Hope it goes down that way!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I am confident UConn will win. But, any UConn fan who sweated out the ND win, and then saw Louisville dismantle ND, has to be at least a bit apprehensive.

Playing in Gampel is a huge advantage. The ND game was in Louisville. (FWIW, Louisville is only a drive of a little over an hour to Columbus.)

IMHO if Kia defends Durr the way I expect she will, Louisville will not be able to score enough to win. But, it will be a real challenge as Durr is the real deal. Gabby may be involved on Durr as well.

UConn hasn`t really been burned by an opposing guard yet this year. Charles for Maryland had 29 but a lot of those were in the fourth quarter after the game had long been decided. Mabrey and Ogunbowale combined for 40 points but took a combined 40 shots. Atkins and McCarty played well but each scored 14, didn`t go crazy. Bianca Jackson had 20 for South Carolina, probably as good as any guard against UConn this year, but she was not our primary focus obviously, and Harris and Cliney combined for only 8 points. Then there`s Laksa, of course, goose egg city.

So Kia, get ready and stay out of foul trouble.

From what little I have seen, Christyn Williams and Asia Durr seem to be cut from the same cloth. Lefties, smooth, good handle, deadly from three.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
tyson.jpg

Reaction Score
If Durr is on her game she can keep it fairly close and if Hines Allen is also playing well they can keep it very close.Fuehring is much improved this year and is something of a force in the paint and is an effort player.....take two of those three away and Louisville has little chance of winning
Your first 2 Louisville's if allowed to run wild are lights out kids. I suspect Kia, -Gabby, Collier with some trouble will reduce their impact.
If Fuehring's game is a good as you say and bangs (plays physically) with Collier and or Z---???
This is a Uconn win--IF If ---3 people stay out of foul or physical trouble. I'd like Megan to show her stuff in this game.

Watched Durr, as little as I have seen, is more dangerous than Ms St Vivian

Reaction Score
Your first 2 Louisville's if allowed to run wild are lights out kids. I suspect Kia, -Gabby, Collier with some trouble will reduce their impact.
If Fuehring's game is a good as you say and bangs (plays physically) with Collier and or Z---???
This is a Uconn win--IF If ---3 people stay out of foul or physical trouble. I'd like Megan to show her stuff in this game.

Watched Durr, as little as I have seen, is more dangerous than Ms St Vivian

Fuehring is not quick but she uses her strength well and can hit shots from the lane..........defensively, I'm sure she's going to have issues no matter who she's guarding...........Jones, Evans and Carter are secondary scorers who can get hot on any given night but better they shoot then Durr or Hines Allen

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Is it? IMHO talk is cheap! Don't talk about it, just do it.
Title. IT IS!!! All these Players are covered by media and are asked questions. She is not just “holding camp” and giving a dissertation. She is giving very logical and well thought out answers, it’s 2018 with tons of social media, so your old adage of “don’t talk” doesn’t jive anymore. But hey, I will tell the kids to stay off your lawn if you want...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I don't know about any of you but I want UConn to beat them by 30 points. I don't want to close game

Reaction Score
EricLA was correct in that Louiseville does not match up well with UConn traditionally. They try to run an up-tempo game and that feeds right into UConn's mantra, which they do it better than anyone.

That said, we are fans of UConn and to be honest, most of us sneer at opposing coaches and players when they make innocuous comments on the upcoming games, as if "how dare they!". CharlieBB is spot on, these comments are perfectly fair, logical and what I would want my team say. Some of the comments on here are disrespectful back at either Coach Walz or this young lady (and yes, I mean young lady-age 19, please keep that in mind). We should know better-say good luck, and we wish you well in handling 40 minutes of hell to coin the Arkansas theme from 1990.

I have seen Louisville play numerous times this year and they are a good team, who seem to really like and respect each other, a mini-UConn if you will. I think this is a 15-20 win for UConn but a good game and will be fun to see Kia on Durr, Gabby on Hines-Allen and whoever Lou can find to guard Lou...

For me, I like the guy, I like what he's trying to build there, which seems to have taken and he's on the next tier of coaches after Geno/Tara/Muffet. In the tier with Kim and Dawn. Plus, he helps with USA Basketball, kudos to him.
I agree with all of the above except I would put Kim on a tier by herself above Tara, Muffet and Jeff. I also really like Jeff and his style. I think he and Kim are also the most entertaining as well.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I agree with all of the above except I would put Kim on a tier by herself above Tara, Muffet and Jeff. I also really like Jeff and his style. I think he and Kim are also the most entertaining as well.
Fair enough above Jeff, but as much as I like Kim with her 2 NC titles. She’s only been to one other Final Four. Tara’s been to 12 to go with her 2 NCs and Muffet has been to 7 Final Fours to go with her NC. Mulkey need to up her Final Fours especially with all the top recruits she gets. Than she can be with TVD, MM...

Reaction Score
Title. IT IS!!! All these Players are covered by media and are asked questions. She is not just “holding camp” and giving a dissertation. She is giving very logical and well thought out answers, it’s 2018 with tons of social media, so your old adage of “don’t talk” doesn’t jive anymore. But hey, I will tell the kids to stay off your lawn if you want...:rolleyes:

Funny that the most dominant team in the country isn't even allowed to use social media during the season. I guess it jives with somebody.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I could be wrong here, but I'll state a few things
If UCONN shoots the ball well, no one is beating them this year.

People keep talking about teams with bigs, I'm still looking for a team where the BIGS dominated UCONN, We shot poorly and Mississipi State barely won last year, with their big spending a lot of the game on the bench, UCONN is too athletic at that position and typically move the ball and shoot too well for opposing bigs to be the major catalyst in a loss, because, those bigs are usually out of breath and in foul trouble pretty much the entire game.

Teams that usually give us problems are those who are just as athletic, who play very physical on both ends and are confident/fearless on offense (Take the open shot). Teams who's scoring comes on running plays for one or two players will always have problems scoring on a team coached by Geno... So having a player like Durr who can get her own shot and score from anywhere on the floor in transition can be very problematic. Transition defense will be key to either team.

Our team is limping at the moment at 65% on the health meter and this is not currently one of the better UCONN defensive teams for whatever reason. Our last game saw a relatively small team rebound the ball well against us, Injuries and fatigue most likely playing a key role in that.

It should be an interesting game which to me could go either way. Whichever team shoots the ball well for 30+ mins and get back on D will probably win with relative ease. My prediction if both teams play well, Huskies by 15.

Reaction Score
Funny that the most dominant team in the country isn't even allowed to use social media during the season. I guess it jives with somebody.

Yes they are. They just can’t use Twitter

Reaction Score
If you knew what this young lady has been through in her life you would have even more respect for her....she's been living with team mates and friends and other family members off and on much of the time since she was young as her family was in grave financial difficulty and couldn't afford a place to live, lost multiple family members when she was an early teen....you name it....but she never gave up and promised her family she would get a scholarship so they didn't have to worry about paying for college....growing up is tough for any kid but I think she's turned out great considering her situation.....
Dang you Charlie. Here I'm working up a dislike and you throw this in. You just got to love a kid like this. Thanks. Sounds a bit like Charde.

Reaction Score
I am confident UConn will win. But, any UConn fan who sweated out the ND win, and then saw Louisville dismantle ND, has to be at least a bit apprehensive.

Playing in Gampel is a huge advantage. The ND game was in Louisville. (FWIW, Louisville is only a drive of a little over an hour to Columbus.)

IMHO if Kia defends Durr the way I expect she will, Louisville will not be able to score enough to win. But, it will be a real challenge as Durr is the real deal. Gabby may be involved on Durr as well.

UConn hasn`t really been burned by an opposing guard yet this year. Charles for Maryland had 29 but a lot of those were in the fourth quarter after the game had long been decided. Mabrey and Ogunbowale combined for 40 points but took a combined 40 shots. Atkins and McCarty played well but each scored 14, didn`t go crazy. Bianca Jackson had 20 for South Carolina, probably as good as any guard against UConn this year, but she was not our primary focus obviously, and Harris and Cliney combined for only 8 points. Then there`s Laksa, of course, goose egg city.

So Kia, get ready and stay out of foul trouble.

From what little I have seen, Christyn Williams and Asia Durr seem to be cut from the same cloth. Lefties, smooth, good handle, deadly from three.

Uconn fans have some things that should concern them: Both you and Charlieball have pointed them out. I'm a glass 3/4th full type--I believe the balance scales lean towards Uconn but I know that can change via game circumstances. Allen-Hine's and Durr add Fureling (sp) is a lot of talent. Walz, as much as I like to taunt him/his fans, is an excellent and devious coach. A few years back he was being presented as a possible Geno replacement. He can play his team in a straight up BB game or as the Griner game showed he can play the ruff and tumble, UCF game too. I look for him to pull out all the stops.
It may be a nasty game but it shall be fun too.

Reaction Score
“We’re going up there with the plan to win," he said after Louisville beat Clemson on Wednesday night. "We know we're going to have to play much better than tonight but at the same time we played well enough throughout this season that we can compete.”

Louisville forward Sam Fuehring sees Monday's game, and this season, as a chance to reinvent the Cardinals as the standard in women's college basketball.

“The coaches usually say, ‘Play hard like UConn,’ and they’ll compare us to UConn, but I hate it because we got to play like Louisville," she said. "We got to play our best every single time. There’s nothing wrong with comparing it to UConn because they are the best, but I love that we can play like Louisville. I want people to say ‘Play like Louisville,’ not, ‘Play like UConn.’”

"Defensively is where we’re going to have to play the best that we’ve played all year because they all score," Walz said. "They’re the one team that we play, for my 11 years here, that you can’t junk anything up."

No. 4 Louisville women's basketball will face No. 1 UConn 'with the plan to win'
I sure hope Walz is planning to win. L’Ville has very little chance of winning and I don’t see Durr being able to shake Nurse . Asia gets a lot of points because of her quick release on outside shots plus teams think they have her covered but don’t. Nurse won’t make that mistake. One thing, Asia is finally starting to be effective driving too. She has a great shot but her mid-range and drives are easier to block if she’s contested because of her low release point close range.
I like Fuehring’s attitude also.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Fuehring is not quick but she uses her strength well and can hit shots from the lane.....defensively, I'm sure she's going to have issues no matter who she's guarding......Jones, Evans and Carter are secondary scorers who can get hot on any given night but better they shoot then Durr or Hines Allen
Jones, and especially Evans and Carter rarely get hot. Dana Evans is having an awful time getting her shots off cleanly with her height disadvantage. I’m not sure how much she’s going to be able to rectify that. Also outside she shoots bricks (pushes the ball) Her outside shot should improve but it’s pretty bad at the moment.
Jones b-ball IQ is weird. She is good for at least 2 offensive charges a game. UConn will take advantage of that by the 1st quarter. She’s great upside but nothing to worry about right now. She can put a short spurt together but it won’t last. L’Ville is a year away from Jones being a factor. She’s getting there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jones, and especially Evans and Carter rarely get hot. Dana Evans is having an awful time getting her shots off cleanly with her height disadvantage. I’m not sure how much she’s going to be able to rectify that. Also outside she shoots bricks (pushes the ball) Her outside shot should improve but it’s pretty bad at the moment.
Jones b-ball IQ is weird. She is good for at least 2 offensive charges a game. UConn will take advantage of that by the 1st quarter. She’s great upside but nothing to worry about right now. She can put a short spurt together but it won’t last. L’Ville is a year away from Jones being a factor. She’s getting there.

we definitely agree on Evans current run but Jones is shooting almost 52% from the floor, Carter 46%..............they may get a lot of open looks as UConn attempts to shut down the big two...........whether Fuerhing can be a force offensively is open to question........

Reaction Score
L’ville is undefeated on the road but they have had several shaky moments and the only really good game they’ve played on the road was Ohio State and we all know Ohio State is awful defensively. A road game against a good defensive team that has multiple scorers is too much.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice line by Geno in yesterday about Walz

“We’ve had some great battles with them, regular season, Big East Tournament, NCAA Tournament, Final Fours,” Auriemma said. “It’s been a great run with them. He’s a smart guy. I think he does a great job. He’s a master at scheduling. We’ve been trying to get them for four years, and once he called the provost office and made sure that [Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck and Moriah Jefferson] graduated, we couldn’t get him off the phone.” :D:D:D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom