Walton to LA Lakers | The Boneyard

Walton to LA Lakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thank god it happened this fast. Now KO doesn't have to assure every recruit he's not leaving just because a beat reporter said he might be.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
how can they take him over KO?

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
So, will be Bill be calling the games?

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I don't see how this is a good hire for the Lakers. Luke Walton is basically a player still. He has no head coaching experience.

And don't give me the 28 game win streak during Kerr's absence, because my dog could have coached the Warriors this year and they still would've won ruffly the same number of games.

It's like the Lakers can't let go of their glory days and move into a rebuilding phase. They gave Kobe like half their salary cap the last few years, hired Byron Scott, signed Metta f*king World Peace and now hired Luke Walton.

Reaction Score
I don't see how this is a good hire for the Lakers. Luke Walton is basically a player still. He has no head coaching experience.

And don't give me the 28 game win streak during Kerr's absence, because my dog could have coached the Warriors this year and they still would've won ruffly the same number of games.

It's like the Lakers can't let go of their glory days and move into a rebuilding phase. They gave Kobe like half their salary cap the last few years, hired Byron Scott, signed Metta f*king World Peace and now hired Luke Walton.

They shouldn't have hired him to be the head coach because, other than when he was briefly a head coach, he's never been a head coach!

Reaction Score

I don't see how this is a good hire for the Huskies. Kevin Ollie is basically a player still. He has no head coaching experience.

And don't give me the 2014 championship, because my dog could have coached Jim Calhoun's recruits that year and they would have got roughly as far in the tournament.

Reaction Score
I'm freakin old, I remember Luke playing college ball.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I don't see how this is a good hire for the Huskies. Kevin Ollie is basically a player still. He has no head coaching experience.

And don't give me the 2014 championship, because my dog could have coached Jim Calhoun's recruits that year and they would have got roughly as far in the tournament.
That's not a fair comparison. College basketball vs. one of the most storied franchises in the history of sports. I never had a problem with hiring Ollie. He came with high praise from everyone he's ever been in contact with and was hand-picked by Calhoun.

The difference between coaching in college and the NBA is that coaching actually matters in college (that's why a team like Butler can come 1 point away from winning a national championship, and almost again the next year) whereas in the NBA, the players determine how far you go. Ollie took a bunch of college kids to a national title. Walton had the greatest single team in basketball history, coming off a championship, placed in his lap.

Of course Luke Walton could turn out to be a good hire, and if you're the Lakers I guess the only way to go from here is up, so why not? However, wouldn't you rather an established head coach who can press the right buttons and help develop young talent?

Reaction Score
For all the reasons you could s___ on the Lakers, this seems like a strange one. It seems like the only decent decision they've made recently.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
For all the reasons you could s___ on the Lakers, this seems like a strange one. It seems like the only decent decision they've made recently.
I'm assuming you're referring to me...
But as my original post stated, all the reasons to s____ on the Lakers are connected in a way.
What rational reason, in terms of moving a franchise forward, is there to give a 35-year-old Kobe Bryant with a torn achilles a 2 year, $50 mil deal? Why in hell would the Lakers sign Metta World Peace this past year? The Lakers can't let go of the past, and move forward as a franchise and rebuild. They only care about filling seats and selling merchandise while former Laker champions Kobe Bryant and Ron Artest roam the court and chuck up shots with a bunch of 19-year-olds, then banking on superstars to sign with their ty team in the offseason.
The Lakers wouldn't have hired Luke Walton if he didn't spend most of his career with them. I'm just saying the Lakers could've easily hired pretty much anybody in need of a coaching job, but they hired Luke Walton. Props to them though if it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom