"Wall Potential" and "Pterodactyl" - Hurley Quotes on Samson - More Harm than Good? | The Boneyard

"Wall Potential" and "Pterodactyl" - Hurley Quotes on Samson - More Harm than Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Like the infamous "Ferrari" quote from KO back eight years ago (can it be that long already?), Hurley seems to be out ahead of his skis with these quotes. Being up on the Gampel "Wall" takes some serious talent and body of work over time. Samson barely played which makes the "wall potential" moniker seem both outlandish and harmful by setting expectations far too high. I get the "potential" upside but one's person's potential is another's project. Feels like Samson is set up to fail if he doesn't reach these lofty projections. Seems like Hurley overhypes players. More results and less quoting and hyperbole as he enters Year 5 without a tournament win during his tenure.

Reaction Score
It was just DH's way of saying he has a a ton of talent and has a shot at being a lottery pick. That's what the "Wall potential" is referring to. He's not talking about having his name/number hanging from the rafters at Gampel, all of the lottery picks are on the wall of the practice facility.

Reaction Score
Have we ever had a wall player that saw so little PT as a frosh? I know the Covid year changed the dynamic but still curious
Closest player is probably Hilton, but even he had 320 minutes to Samson's 60. Covid year definitely pushed Samson's minutes down though so I have high hopes for him

Reaction Score
Side question: Is "the wall" for lottery picks only, or all players who get drafted, or maybe even all players who play in the NBA?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah it’s weird to say something like that and then not try to develop him on the court throughout the year.

Reaction Score
Are you from Australia, or is your name in reference to the wizard?

Reaction Score
His high school tape shows an amazingly athletic kid for his size. But all this talk adds up to nothing. Glad to see he is on campus working. Weird he is the only one.

Reaction Score
His high school tape shows an amazingly athletic kid for his size. But all this talk adds up to nothing. Glad to see he is on campus working. Weird he is the only one.

The break between end of semester and summer classes is only about 3 weeks. I imagine most are taking that break to see family, and will be back in about a week.

Reaction Score
Side question: Is "the wall" for lottery picks only, or all players who get drafted, or maybe even all players who play in the NBA?
I think we have 2 separate things. The "wall" Hurley talks about is only for lottery picks. It's along the baseline wall in the practice facility. But I am almost positive I've seen pictures of another wall (maybe in the entrance?) that has everyone who has played in the NBA, lottery pick or not.

Reaction Score
Have we ever had a wall player that saw so little PT as a frosh? I know the Covid year changed the dynamic but still curious

Deandre Daniels

He's on the wall for UConn players who did the following:
1) Was the best player on the court in a Final Four game
2) Won a National Championship

Reaction Score
As far as I know, Hurley has only mentioned "NBA" in association with the following players:
  • Bouknight (lottery pick)
  • Tyrese (will likely be a 2nd round pick or undrafted 2 way player)
  • Andre (showing up in mock drafts - likely draft pick if he stays the course)
  • Hawkins (showing up in mock drafts - likely draft pick if he stays the course)
  • Samson
Seems like he doesnt just throw that stuff around loosely, so I'd say we give him the benefit of the doubt

Reaction Score
I think we have 2 separate things. The "wall" Hurley talks about is only for lottery picks. It's along the baseline wall in the practice facility. But I am almost positive I've seen pictures of another wall (maybe in the entrance?) that has everyone who has played in the NBA, lottery pick or not.
You can see it in this video around 1:20 (it's a 360 degree video so you can pan around and see everything. I believe those are all of the program All-Americans (First or Second team, all but AJ and Caron were consensus 1st team). From what I can tell:

• Donyell Marshall
  • Ray Allen
  • Richard Hamilton
  • Caron Butler
  • Emeka Okafor
  • Rudy Gay
  • AJ Price
  • Hasheem Thabeet
  • Kemba Walker
  • Shabazz Napier
When Hurley says wall potential I believe he is referring to the NBA Lotto guys but frankly it could be either/or

Reaction Score
You can see it in this video around 1:20 (it's a 360 degree video so you can pan around and see everything. I believe those are all of the program All-Americans (First or Second team, all but AJ and Caron were consensus 1st team). From what I can tell:

• Donyell Marshall
  • Ray Allen
  • Richard Hamilton
  • Caron Butler
  • Emeka Okafor
  • Rudy Gay
  • AJ Price
  • Hasheem Thabeet
  • Kemba Walker
  • Shabazz Napier
When Hurley says wall potential I believe he is referring to the NBA Lotto guys but frankly it could be either/or

Ah I was actually thinking of those holographic looking statues at the 0:25 mark but it appears those might be limited to All Americans as well. Yeah he's definitely talking about the lotto wall though

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

No. That is a valid point that I think of often.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Like the infamous "Ferrari" quote from KO back eight years ago (can it be that long already?), Hurley seems to be out ahead of his skis with these quotes. Being up on the Gampel "Wall" takes some serious talent and body of work over time. Samson barely played which makes the "wall potential" moniker seem both outlandish and harmful by setting expectations far too high. I get the "potential" upside but one's person's potential is another's project. Feels like Samson is set up to fail if he doesn't reach these lofty projections. Seems like Hurley overhypes players. More results and less quoting and hyperbole as he enters Year 5 without a tournament win during his tenure.
After reading the Borges article from yesterday, I think the main reason Samson returned despite very little PT last year is because Hurley told him he had wall potential every single day.

And also remember the instant gratification era we live in now. Kids want to hear those kind of things, whether it’s “hype” or not.

Whatever works to motivate him is fine by me. Hurley knows what he’s doing.

Reaction Score
The break between end of semester and summer classes is only about 3 weeks. I imagine most are taking that break to see family, and will be back in about a week.
Make sense, Andre was back in Albany/Amsterdam last weekend (I think it was last weekend) at a hoop tourney, not sure how long he was/is staying.

Reaction Score
100% agree. I'm starting to take some of DHs comments with a grain of salt. I don't think he's being deceitful. Quite the opposite. I think he's an honest and thoughtful dude. But as you say, he seems to get ahead of his skis. In particular with comments related to player evaluation and protections.

Reaction Score
Hilton Armstrong is on the wall in the practice facility I believe, didn't play much as a freshman but that was a better team then we had this past season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom