Wake Forest Espionage | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Wake Forest Espionage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My favorite part of the UL thing is Petrino's comments. He sounds like Petino when his team got caught with whores.

sgt.jpg

Reaction Score
Maybe all ACC teams involved will be banned from a bowl and we back into one ... nope we need another 40 schools ahead of us to be banned too.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Oh no. Diaco ran a fake, fake field goal. He actually faked a fake field goal, and then the kicker missed the kick.

Jump to 1:38:00. This should make Diaco's all time highlight real.

Not only did he miss the kick, I'm not sure if he made another one all year. Completely gave him the yips

Reaction Score
So bogus on Lville's part. Calls every win into question. But really, no one is surprised because the history there. I can see them saying something to the effect of baseballs phd users. Well sure, we (took phd's) had the plays, but you still gotta execute (hit the ball)

Reaction Score
Of all the things Louisville has done, I find this the least offensive.

The guy went to them and offered information, I'd be shocked if they didn't take it. In fact, we're starting to hear other schools also took information and NOBODY reported it. But there's outrage that Ville didn't?

I don't think this is that big of a deal for anyone but the guy giving the info out, who will likely never again be involved in football past the level of spectator.

It's not "ethical", it's not the "highest standard". But coaches/teams try to steal signals all the time. I don't find this much different. I'm not saying this is something to be proud of, it's very embarrassing, but how does the NCAA/ACC punish Ville? What rule did they break?
1.'Shocked if they didn't take it' - really, shocked?! It is clearly cheating and you don't think any of the individuals involved had even a 2nd thought about it? Just doing it secretly is proof enough of knowledge that its wrong. Right and wrong seems pretty black & white.
2. 'Not a big deal for anyone but guy giving the info out' - So no feelings about the players who were screwed over by this? If this were the Patriots everyone would be calling for wins wiped off the board. This is only not a huge deal because Wake football isn't good anyway. Lots of game results and especially POINT SPREADS were affected here.
3. The NCAA isn't the one to punish, but I think the conference AND especially the individual schools have grounds to suspend their coaches for violations of ethics. This should gain traction because Louisville are known cheaters and Petrino known liar. Maybe the depth of the information provided limits the advantage gained, but the spirit of college competition was violated and I think the violation is actually worse by those that cheated because Wake isn't that good.

Some of the UConn centric reactions in this thread are pretty bizarre to me as UConn & Wake Forest grad. My experiences were in the 80's and 90's but...
A. Wake Football way bigger deal on campus than at UConn, has always played in a big stadium, fall weekends revolve around football games. Its no football school, but culturally football is the most important sport. (legacy, achievement, rep it is golf, but that doesn't exactly draw crowds).
B. Wake Forest has Norm Snead & Brian Piccolo as resonating alumnus
C. Wake has always been in the ACC, luck of location. Its not on merit or fair or whatever but such is UConn's screwed over fate and I don't see how trashing any luckier school helps or even makes anyone feel better.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I get a kick that Va Tech says they hold themselves to a higher standard when they clearly didn't.

Reaction Score
1.'Shocked if they didn't take it' - really, shocked?! It is clearly cheating and you don't think any of the individuals involved had even a 2nd thought about it? Just doing it secretly is proof enough of knowledge that its wrong. Right and wrong seems pretty black & white.
2. 'Not a big deal for anyone but guy giving the info out' - So no feelings about the players who were screwed over by this? If this were the Patriots everyone would be calling for wins wiped off the board. This is only not a huge deal because Wake football isn't good anyway. Lots of game results and especially POINT SPREADS were affected here.
3. The NCAA isn't the one to punish, but I think the conference AND especially the individual schools have grounds to suspend their coaches for violations of ethics. This should gain traction because Louisville are known cheaters and Petrino known liar. Maybe the depth of the information provided limits the advantage gained, but the spirit of college competition was violated and I think the violation is actually worse by those that cheated because Wake isn't that good.

Some of the UConn centric reactions in this thread are pretty bizarre to me as UConn & Wake Forest grad. My experiences were in the 80's and 90's but...
A. Wake Football way bigger deal on campus than at UConn, has always played in a big stadium, fall weekends revolve around football games. Its no football school, but culturally football is the most important sport. (legacy, achievement, rep it is golf, but that doesn't exactly draw crowds).
B. Wake Forest has Norm Snead & Brian Piccolo as resonating alumnus
C. Wake has always been in the ACC, luck of location. Its not on merit or fair or whatever but such is UConn's screwed over fate and I don't see how trashing any luckier school helps or even makes anyone feel better.

1. Yes, really shocked. They weren't the only school that took the information and didn't report it. I didn't say they didn't have second thoughts. I also didn't say it was right. I think your feelings on it are stronger due to your affiliation to the school. Stealing signals is "wrong" and "cheating" and coaches try and do it every single game. Is it right? Is it wrong? Just doing it secretly means it was wrong? LOL, okay. As if they had the option to make it known publicly that they had this information AND intended to use it, because the coaches at Wake are soooo stupid they wouldn't bother to change their game plan. (Of course, Wake knew they had the info, and changed their game plan).

2. Sure I feel bad for the players at Wake. I don't feel bad for those affected by the "POINT SPREADS". Considering gambling on sports is illegal just about everywhere, it's kind of you to come off your "right and wrong"/"black and white" high horse just long enough to be concerned for people breaking the law. For the record, I have no problem with gambling, I think sports books should be legal, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy, you literally said "Lots of game results and especially POINT SPREADS were affected here.",(emphasis added) so you're clearly more concerned about the spreads, than the actual results of the games. That's a very interesting (read: hypocritical) take on the story.

3. What specific rule did they break to justify punishment?

4. The reason this became a problem is because of a scumbag from Wake Forest handing out information. This happened over multiple years, and we don't yet know how many other schools are involved. So yes, I think it's WAY MORE shocking that someone with two WF degrees, who is also a former player, and a former coach, would then, over a few years, distribute game plan information to opponents, than it is to hear that those opponents would accept and use that information.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1. Yes, really shocked. They weren't the only school that took the information and didn't report it. I didn't say they didn't have second thoughts. I also didn't say it was right. I think your feelings on it are stronger due to your affiliation to the school. Stealing signals is "wrong" and "cheating" and coaches try and do it every single game. Is it right? Is it wrong? Just doing it secretly means it was wrong? LOL, okay. As if they had the option to make it known publicly that they had this information AND intended to use it, because the coaches at Wake are soooo stupid they wouldn't bother to change their game plan. (Of course, Wake knew they had the info, and changed their game plan).

2. Sure I feel bad for the players at Wake. I don't feel bad for those affected by the "POINT SPREADS". Considering gambling on sports is illegal just about everywhere, it's kind of you to come off your "right and wrong"/"black and white" high horse just long enough to be concerned for people breaking the law. For the record, I have no problem with gambling, I think sports books should be legal, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy, you literally said "Lots of game results and especially POINT SPREADS were affected here.",(emphasis added) so you're clearly more concerned about the spreads, than the actual results of the games. That's a very interesting (read: hypocritical) take on the story.

3. What specific rule did they break to justify punishment?

4. The reason this became a problem is because of a scumbag from Wake Forest handing out information. This happened over multiple years, and we don't yet know how many other schools are involved. So yes, I think it's WAY MORE shocking that someone with two WF degrees, who is also a former player, and a former coach, would then, over a few years, distribute game plan information to opponents, than it is to hear that those opponents would accept and use that information.
You read a lot into what I wrote. I went to Wake over 20yrs ago for a grad degree, I think I've seen one of their football games since and I don't follow them, couldn't name their coach, a player on any of their teams etc..
1. Yes stealing signs and stealing plays is way different. I.e. in baseball everyone tries to steal signs from 2nd base, but use a camera in the outfield & relay it to batsmen and its a big deal. Likewise Patriots videotaping play signals still resonates. In this case ANYONE had the option of immediately reporting to Wake that the radio d ouche bag was providing plays and someone could have put an end to it a long time ago. That is what is most amazing to me. Either it isn't a big deal (so go ahead and rat him out) or it is a big deal and keeping it secret and taking the benefit are scumbag moves.
2. Emphasis on point spreads because its illegal (shaving) and possible source of profit (so maybe that's also part of why this one guy did it), where there is cheating there is often more cheating. Emphasis was wondering if there is more to come on this or if someone profited. I don't bet.
3. Every school has an honor code and an ethics clause, for students, professors, coaches. Look especially at places like Army. I'm not reading the NCAA rulebook to respond, but I'd bet its not allowed to steal the other teams playbook - maybe can get off on technicality that it was handed to them but I'd 'prosecute' based on obtained by illicit means. By prosecute I mean school, conference or ncaa justify penalties, sanctions, etc..
4. Maybe I am more cynical than you. To me it is rarely shocking when there is one bad person, its the enablers and massive nature of this conspiracy (too strong a word I know) that I personally find more surprising. There is always someone with an axe to grind and its totally psycho that this guy went so far and for so long, but despite the known hypocrisy of college athletics I'm continually amazed that one rule bend begets another begets another etc... Louisville is really disgusting in this regard with multiple Pitino scandals, hiring Petrino and now their statement on this in comparison to Virginia Tech's.

Reaction Score
FootballScoop Staff ‏@FootballScoop 2m2 minutes ago
Louisville AD says their OC received info from Tommy Elrod and shared it with Louisville’s defensive staff
View attachment 17672
FootballScoop Staff ‏@FootballScoop 2m 2 minutes ago
So coaches on both sides of the ball at Louisville knew about this leak from Wake…and no one there thought to do the right thing.

Sure sounds like Swofford swatted Jurich on his initial statement: U of L suspends Galloway for bowl game

Reaction Score
What was Swofford's statement?

There was no Swofford statement in the article:

>>Jurich said he's been in regular contact with ACC commissioner John Swofford and that the Cardinals will accept any other disciplinary action the conference deems appropriate.

In his statement on Wednesday, Jurich had seemed to dismiss the seriousness of Louisville receiving information about Wake Forest plays, noting that the plays ended up never being run in the game, and he said that he was disappointed that the issue had brought "undue attention" to U of L's football staff.

Jurich received widespread criticism from major national outlets for the tone of his statement. The tone clearly shifted in his new statement Friday, which he said came about upon a careful and thorough review of the incident.<<

Reaction Score
The part I can't wrap my head around is how UL could think this was an unacceptable risk.

I mean whatever potential "on the field" advantage UL could have gained was far outweighed by the repercussions if they got caught accepting stolen WF plans. Oh, and the kind of dude who would betray his alma mater doesn't seem like a safe bet to guard a dirty little secret.

At least with the last scandal at UL the hookers and blow probably lead to some big recruits and wins. This scandal was all risk, no reward.... Just further proof the only think worse than a dirty program is a really dumb dirty program.

As for Swofford and Jurich it reminds me of my old college buddy. My buddy started dating a stripper. She was stunningly beautiful and built for racing but had the wild side one would expect from a stripper. Eventually my buddy fell for her and asked her to move in. For weeks I heard about sex scenes which sounded stolen from the annuals of Penthouse forum till one day I received a call from a broken friend. My buddy explained he showed up early from work and walked into his beloved girl in full frenzy with another man. Her response was simply "you knew exactly what I was when you asked me to move in...you can't have it both ways" and she actually smiled while she said it. My guess is Jurich probably has the same smile and answer every time Swofford brings up the integrity issue with Louisville.

Reaction Score
The part I can't wrap my head around is how UL could think this was an unacceptable risk.

I mean whatever potential "on the field" advantage UL could have gained was far outweighed by the repercussions if they got caught accepting stolen WF plans. Oh, and the kind of dude who would betray his alma mater doesn't seem like a safe bet to guard a dirty little secret.

At least with the last scandal at UL the hookers and blow probably lead to some big recruits and wins. This scandal was all risk, no reward.... Just further proof the only think worse than a dirty program is a really dumb dirty program.

As for Swofford and Jurich it reminds me of my old college buddy. My buddy started dating a stripper. She was stunningly beautiful and built for racing but had the wild side one would expect from a stripper. Eventually my buddy fell for her and asked her to move in. For weeks I heard about sex scenes which sounded stolen from the annuals of Penthouse forum till one day I received a call from a broken friend. My buddy explained he showed up early from work and walked into his beloved girl in full frenzy with another man. Her response was simply "you knew exactly what I was when you asked me to move in...you can't have it both ways" and she actually smiled while she said it. My guess is Jurich probably has the same smile and answer every time Swofford brings up the integrity issue with Louisville.
Photos?!?

Reaction Score
Are the Wake guy and the car wash guy one and the same? Where's conspiracy kitty?

Reaction Score
My guess is Elrod really wanted to get back into coaching.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This is throwing a wrench in Verducci's plan to fax our playbooks in their entirety to our 2017 opponents

You could probably read Verducci's playbook from cover to cover in the time it takes you to conduct some serious business in the lavatory. You could then use it for its only worthwhile purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom