Wait for it......... | The Boneyard

Wait for it.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not very familiar with the WNBA, but how did they get the name grizzlies? Are there any in Tennessee? Just curious, I guess. :D True story, about 9 years ago I was driving across country somewhere up along the northern part of the U.S. and there was a sign "Bear crossing next 9 miles" which I thought was rather curious and then about 2 or 3 miles later they had a rest area. Sure wish I could remember where it was.

Reaction Score
I'm not very familiar with the WNBA, but how did they get the name grizzlies? Are there any in Tennessee? Just curious, I guess. :D True story, about 9 years ago I was driving across country somewhere up along the northern part of the U.S. and there was a sign "Bear crossing next 9 miles" which I thought was rather curious and then about 2 or 3 miles later they had a rest area. Sure wish I could remember where it was.

I'm pretty sure the team began life elsewhere where there may have been a few grizz before we moved in. Vancouver? That seems right. It is a laughable name but not nearly as off the mark as the Utah Jazz.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The Grizzlies are an NBA team, not WNBA.

Reaction Score
It is a laughable name but not nearly as off the mark as the Utah Jazz.
Right! that's the best one. Also the L.A. Lakers (from the land of 10,000 lakes--MN): there are no lakes in L.A.! It's called linguistic archaeology, when you can trace things back to their origins by names/languages.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the team began life elsewhere where there may have been a few grizz before we moved in. Vancouver? That seems right. It is a laughable name but not nearly as off the mark as the Utah Jazz.
Yep Grizzlies originated in Vancouver. The Jazz originated in New Orleans.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Seems like a few of those fans have been hanging out on Beale Street a bit too long :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom