Wade Trophy finalists | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wade Trophy finalists

Reaction Score
I agree with this, but it shouldn't be the case. It's not as if any of the other players are on undefeated teams.

Let me rephrase: if UConn were considered one of the 2 or 3 top teams, she would've been on the list.
UConn had 3 marquee games -- it lost 2, and CW was the star in the other. NC didnt have a big-publicity moment.

Reaction Score
Let me rephrase: if UConn were considered one of the 2 or 3 top teams, she would've been on the list.
UConn had 3 marquee games -- it lost 2, and CW was the star in the other. NC didnt have a big-publicity moment.
Isn't UConn considered the second best team in the nation?

Reaction Score
The irony is that previously UConn players who weren't the best statistically were being nominated for POY because the team was undefeated but now Phessa is one of the best statistically but isn't being nominated for POY because we have a couple of road losses to 1 seeds.

Also were mentioning that Gustafson was just as statistically dominant last year as this year but her team is a little better and with that comes more exposure and she is now receiving the recognition she deserves.

Note: I know the her overall stats are higher this year but they are similar vs top opposition as last year (refer post)

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Let's not kid ourselves either. McCowan's effective but it's due in large part to her significant size advantage. What does she do better than Collier? Anything?

McCowan is a significantly better rebounder than Collier and is a much more intimidating post presence on defense. It shows a lack of recognition of basketball skills to believe it's simply her size. Frankly, it's disrespectful to her. You asked so I answered.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
So what is NPOY about? I always thought it goes to the best player in the country, so long as they had a great year, played an MVP type role for their team, and didn't miss a ton of time due to injury. We've seen various statistical comparisons in this very thread (and the other one), and Gustafson edges Collier in some categories, with Collier better in others. I guess I'm missing what makes Gustafson so much better and a much more qualified candidate for NPOY than Collier. My opinion is some late press for Gustafson is what put her over the top.

You're the one who questioned why she's among the finalists. It's obvious to most so I encourage you to look into it more thoroughly, not ask others to make the case for you.

Reaction Score
You know what yes I do feel Pheesa shouldve been on the list and maybe she feels she does too but the award that I and most likely she cares about more is that trophy symbolizing a 12th national championship for the program.

Reaction Score
The irony is that previously UConn players who weren't the best statistically were being nominated for POY because the team was undefeated.

I didn't say they weren't deserving, I said they weren't the best statistically.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Quite a slight on Phees. McCowan is a pysical specimen and a force but she doesn't work very hard (IMO).

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
McCowan is a significantly better rebounder than Collier and is a much more intimidating post presence on defense. It shows a lack of recognition of basketball skills to believe it's simply her size. Frankly, it's disrespectful to her. You asked so I answered.

Considering the difference in size, it's a stretch to say McCowan's a "significantly better rebounder." She has 5" on Collier. Post presence? Eh, that's because she's the size of a house.

Reaction Score
Big publicity moment? You mean when your HOF coach says you’re one of the top players the 11 championship program has ever seen?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
So what is NPOY about? I always thought it goes to the best player in the country, so long as they had a great year, played an MVP type role for their team, and didn't miss a ton of time due to injury. We've seen various statistical comparisons in this very thread (and the other one), and Gustafson edges Collier in some categories, with Collier better in others. I guess I'm missing what makes Gustafson so much better and a much more qualified candidate for NPOY than Collier. My opinion is some late press for Gustafson is what put her over the top.

But success of the team might have some part in this as well. Not pure individual numbers. That being said I wouldn't have a problem if Gustafson won over Collier but at least have Collier in the final group!

Reaction Score
Napheesa was absolutely the best front court player this year, if not the best overall player.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Considering the difference in size, it's a stretch to say McCowan's a "significantly better rebounder." She has 5" on Collier. Post presence? Eh, that's because she's the size of a house.

I'm completely lost on the point you're trying to make. Size differences are a fundamental thing in sports. Nearly all great post players are very large. It's part of the game.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Okay, I'll throw a flame on this one. How about the fact that against the ONLY top-10 opponent Miss St has faced ALL SEASON, McCowan scored 5 points and was benched in crunch time for flagrant lack of effort and all-around bad attitude.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Quite a slight on Phees. McCowan is a pysical specimen and a force but she doesn't work very hard (IMO).

I have a feeling if you watched more of her games you might develop a different opinion. She deals with a lot of physical play in a typical game and plays a lot in big games. 45 minutes in the national semi last year.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Okay, I'll throw a flame on this one. How about the fact that against the ONLY top-10 opponent Miss St has faced ALL SEASON, McCowan scored 5 points and was benched in crunch time for flagrant lack of effort and all-around bad attitude.

I'm not biting. You love to make this point. Look at her work in the NCAA Tourney last year if you think she doesn't show up in most big games. She'll have her opportunity this weekend.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm not biting. You love to make this point. Look at her work in the NCAA Tourney last year if you think she doesn't show up in most big games. She'll have her opportunity this weekend.
This is the first time I've gone out of my way to point out her dismal performance vs. Oregon.

Last year's tournament is (or at least, should be) irrelevant to this year's awards. Vivians isn't in the running either.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
This is the first time I've gone out of my way to point out her dismal performance vs. Oregon.

Last year's tournament is (or at least, should be) irrelevant to this year's awards. Vivians isn't in the running either.

Nowhere in this thread will you find me arguing for McCowan as NPOY.

Plebe

Reaction Score
She's a great player. There are a lot of great players to choose from this year.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score

If I had a vote it would go to Gustafson or Ionescu, but there are a number of other very worthy candidates, including Collier.

Plebe

Reaction Score
If I had a vote it would go to Gustafson or Ionescu, but there are a number of other very worthy candidates, including Collier.
I've said elsewhere, and would reaffirm, that my vote goes to Gustafson. Her season has been just off the charts. But it still annoys me to see Napheesa get the shaft on these finalists' lists.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom