Wade Trophy finalists | The Boneyard

Wade Trophy finalists

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
3 are also finalists for the Naismith.
McCowan "replaces" Ogunbowale in this list.

Reaction Score
Definitely hurts Pheesa because UConn plays "team" bball.
If we didn't, then one of our players could score 30+ points in every game instead of having 3 or 4 players scoring 10 points a game.

However from the list, I am guessing that Sabrina is the choice, she has the best all-around game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think we will look back on this season as the point where being in the AAC takes its first bite out of UConn WCBB. Seems like if you're not in a P5 conference this season you might as well not exist.

Nah, it's UConn having a down year and having a lot of great players contending. If UConn were undefeated, she'd be on the list.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
TBH, I think what's hurting Pheesa is that UConn only had four high profile games this season (yes, in large part due to the AAC schedule): Notre Dame, Baylor, Louisville, and South Carolina. Those are the four games I think shape the narrative around UConn's season. Y'all went 2/2, which I think was an underperformance in terms of media expectations, especially after the Notre Dame romp.

The media perception is that the Notre Dame win was because of Williams, which is more or less true. So Pheesa is not seen as having been a play maker in what was easily UConn's "best" win. (And Pheesa was 7-13 for 16 points, which is fine, but not especially notable.)

Pheesa went 6-18 against Baylor for 16 points, and UConn was basically out of that game by midway through the 4th quarter, which is pretty uncharacteristic. Not a finalist-worthy performance, and the Baylor bigs in that game kind of made her look human.

Pheesa was 9-16 for 20 points & 8 rebounds against Louisville, which was a team high, but again, UConn was basically out of it by midway through the 4th and that game was the Asia Durr show, so Pheesa didn't stand out especially from the standpoint of "game narrative."

Finally, she did have an epic performance against South Carolina, going 15-23 for 31 points and 16 rebounds, but with the Gamecocks down this year, and the game seemingly over by midway through the 3rd, I don't know how much of an impression that game left on voters re: Pheesa, especially when Lou went off for 29 points herself, so it wasn't like Pheesa was heads and tails over her teammates.

So my sense is the fact that (a) UConn plays team ball; (b) Pheesa isn't the only player who stands out in your two wins; and (c) in your losses, Pheesa's performances were pretty average, shaped the narrative. I'm totally sympathetic to you guys - she is clearly one of the 4-5 best players in the country, but I think UConn is suffering from what a lot of the West Coast teams have long suffered from - only a few opportunities to get in front of media voters to leave an impression.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Nah, it's UConn having a down year and having a lot of great players contending. If UConn were undefeated, she'd be on the list.
Agreed. Even if it's just subliminal, a UConn player is graded on a somewhat different scale than anyone else. Call it a side effect of sustained unparalleled excellence. And in a year when UConn looks less extraordinary than at any time in the past 6 years, the sense that it's "other people's year" may be hard for many voters to avoid.

Reaction Score
Have you looked at Gustafson's stats? She's done that despite being the near sole focus of the opponent's D. Take the blinders off. She should be in every POY conversation.
You thinking Gustafson is taken ahead of Collier in the draft?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
In a year without a Griner type contender, this is a travesty.

This decision won’t age well

The only true contender to her is Gustafson

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I don't think Collier is bothered by being left off the list; she's a player. If that's the case, it won't affect her game for better or worse. This applies to the team as a whole. The tournament competition is such that they'll be -- and should be -- focused on getting past UCLA.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Based on the advanced stats approach where more effort is made to take into account the complete player, Megan and Naphessa should be running 1-2 so it is a travesty she is not on any of the top 4 lists. This was pointed out in a previous thread.

1553799902356.png

Reaction Score
No idea, but that's not remotely what NPOY in college is about. There are plenty of examples.
So what is NPOY about? I always thought it goes to the best player in the country, so long as they had a great year, played an MVP type role for their team, and didn't miss a ton of time due to injury. We've seen various statistical comparisons in this very thread (and the other one), and Gustafson edges Collier in some categories, with Collier better in others. I guess I'm missing what makes Gustafson so much better and a much more qualified candidate for NPOY than Collier. My opinion is some late press for Gustafson is what put her over the top.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Not to upset anyone, but as someone who watched only the "big" UConn games and casually skims the BY, I would never have realized how great she has been for you guys this year and how deserving of contending for the honors.

I think some comments are correct - the exposure is (a little) less than it was, UConn has multiple "stars" with different strengths, and perhaps to the casual observer, she just didn't stand out.

Gustafson - say what you want - stood out. At the beginning of this year, I couldn't have told you what she looked like, even though I watch a fair amount of B1G games on the Big Ten Network and, because of how well they treated CVS, have always routed on the side for Iowa. But she sure was promoted this year - and proved worthy of the hype.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom