Vultures, Vultures Everywhere | The Boneyard

Vultures, Vultures Everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm a longtime Husky fan. I go back to George Erlich and the CMPA broadcasts on TIC. I loved the Huskies, still do. The Boneyard came along and it was a revelation. It was interesting, entertaining, sometimes laugh out loud funny. There were many knowledgeable posters; there was panache. I don't want to sound like a total old fart emoting about "the thrilling days of yesteryear'" but I can't help but ask "mais ou sont les neiges d'autan?"

This board has become a miasma dung heap of mean spirited petulance. That said, I will try and provide
my insights on this season for whatever they are worth. First this was a team with NPS (no pleasant surprise); last season we had several; Niels Giffey became a pretty complete player. He had a few poor shooting games;
but he had some major lights out games including a 7 threes game against Memphis in the AAC tournament.
He could defend multiple positions well, and particularly in the tournament was a tough rebounder. There were others Brimah and Samuel were somewhat better than expected, and Kromah was a very good get. There were some disappointments; Calhoun's injuries rendered him pretty non functional; Facey was pretty much useless.

This year with increasing responsibilities Samuel and Brimah didn't play nearly as well as anyone hoped. Nolan
has never developed into an effective player. Facey despite a few promising games early, disappointed, and then had the temerity to end the season injured. Caselle was supposed to be a player; he missed the majority
of the season with injury. Even healthy he may well not be a quality second ballhandler. Preseason UConn was widely believed to be a top 20 team; in fact the consensus on the Boneyard was UConn was too lightly regarded by outsiders. Part of the disappointment with this team has to do with way inflated expectations.
UConn just didn't have a high a ceiling as most believed. In this they were not alone; just off the top of my head; think Stanford and Florida.

The knives have been out for a longtime on this board. I am hoping that at least some posters will pause their rituals of youa culpa to consider how things looked a few months ago. New facilities, national champions, two well regarded early commits, and a head coach who was a hot commodity; this looked pretty promising, but it didn't work out this season. Now according to many posters we are facing an epic disaster;
things must be done or UConn basketball is on an irreversible downward spiral. Never mind men's basketball; it's the entire sports program, in fact the entire university that is in danger. There are dozens of
culprits, and even when there is agreement about a cause i.e. conference affiliation; there is no plan that is half sensible about how we can get into a P5 league.

I am ready to reveal my secret plan to gain entry to the Big; Ward Manuel parks himself in front of the Big
offices and announces he is fasting to the death or until there is a signed agreement getting UCONN into the Big. With Warde's body type we have time to mount an effective publicity campaign. Hey, it worked for Gandhi, and at least one IRA member fasted to the death. I'm just asking if the administration is willing to
do what it takes to get us into a P5 conference. Don't be a nattering nabob of negativity, support me in this just cause.

In closing let me remind reflective yarders of the words of Oliver Cromwell :"...know that by the bowels of Christ, you may be wrong."

Reaction Score
Good post! But the problem here never really was the team, it was the fans. Our expectations and hopes were through the roof. Spoiled perhaps and certainly in denial.

We were rebuilding, not reloading and we seem to have never made that distinction.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Goodbye, I'm sure we'll survive without you.

Reaction Score
Let's face it we are spoiled. Our expectations are always going to be high(and they should be).

I'm going to look at this season as a bump in the road.

I said early in the season that the parts on this years team seemed to not fit properly . There is talent but this team needed certain things that it didn't have.

The team will be fine. Nothing that one more ball handler, a big body and a 3 point shooter can't fix.

KO is the right guy for me. I believe in him.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with anything said here, but I hate it when people begin posts on a message board looking down their noses at message board posters.
I checked your post totals; you've been a lot more active than I have been; I guessing that you are still involved. I don't look down on you. You are civil and you read my post. I hope you are willing to accept that I find the Boneyard less pleasant and welcoming than in the past.

Reaction Score
The self-loathing on this board gets pretty tiring. As a kid I remember the George Ehrlich days, Toby Kimball, Wes Bialasuknia, et al. We have a bright future, just have to do our best at the things we can control, not the things we can't.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
People came to a college basketball board and said dumb things within 24 hours of a league championship de facto NCAAT game?!

You're kidding me! Better write down 10,000 words about it.

Reaction Score
i love the posts about Uconn on a downward spiral a year after we won the national title

Reaction Score
I checked your post totals; you've been a lot more active than I have been; I guessing that you are still involved. I don't look down on you. You are civil and you read my post. I hope you are willing to accept that I find the Boneyard less pleasant and welcoming than in the past.

You clearly have not checked in on the football board.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with anything said here, but I hate it when people begin posts on a message board looking down their noses at message board posters.
I hate it when people look down their noses as people who look down their noses at messageboard posters... and someone else hates me for looking down my nose at people who look down their nose at people who look down their nose at posters, etc.

If anyone is qualified to pass judgement around these parts, it's an OG like zymurg.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
In closing let me remind reflective yarders of the words of Oliver Cromwell :"...know that by the bowels of Christ, you may be wrong."
Vultures? Are they Turkey Vultures? Were they outside the window looking in? Does CTO know about this?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I don't rationalize by saying we are spoiled. I do not expect to win it all every year but expect to be in the tourney. These are dangerous times and the powers that be could care less about our pedigree and 4 NC now that we are in the Outhouse Conference. We need more vultures.

Reaction Score
Warde Manuel needs to do whatever it takes to get us out of this conference- if that means we sign an agreement to play only road Football games for the first five years with only 10 players on each side so be it.

Reaction Score
I hate it when people look down their noses as people who look down their noses at messageboard posters... and someone else hates me for looking down my nose at people who look down their nose at people who look down their nose at posters, etc.

If anyone is qualified to pass judgement around these parts, it's an OG like zymurg.

What the hell was that?

Reaction Score
Zymurg is one of the most thoughtful posters on this board.
I second that, a lot of posters could take a cue from Zy. His posts are well thought out and always rational, regardless if you agree or disagree. He also communicates as a decent human being who is addressing other people who share a similar passion for CT basketball.

Good to hear from a wise poster of the Boneyard. Show some respect to the man.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I second that, a lot of posters could take a cue from Zy. His posts are well thought out and always rational, regardless if you agree or disagree. He also communicates as a decent human being who is addressing other people who share a similar passion for CT basketball.

Good to hear from a wise poster of the Boneyard. Show some respect to the man.
Good to see people think of me as passionate. I really appreciate that.

Also, zy good post. However, I think the state of the program and athletic department is in a lot worse situation than you describe.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Pretty self-explanatory, I thought.

You guys need to realize me and others make a point. It's taken as critical and then turns into these p1ssing matches but people debate the user, not the users point.

In this context, the world isn't coming to an end, we have some good players coming in and some returning.

However to say recruiting isn't a huge issue and the league will eventually kill us from a player standpoint or P5 bias is ignoring reality. Disclaimer: AAC is our only choice, I'm not a drop football guy.

Nothing we can do about the league but bringing in some guys with AAU ties would be a nice step.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm not a fan of what I call "double chicken little" posts (i.e. complaining about people complaining), but Zy's got a blank check.
Nomar, I don't mind complaining or controversy. I do like thoughtful discussions. I offer the current thread on Amida as an example of what I really enjoy; thoughtful analysis of players/strategies. I just wish there were more threads like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom