Vote: Which recent season has been the toughest? | The Boneyard

Vote: Which recent season has been the toughest?

Which recent season has been most insufferable?

• 2013, 3-9 (Started 0-9 featuring losses to FCS Towson/@Buffalo)

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • 2014, 2-10 (Enter Bob Diaco and the extinction of the forward pass)

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • 2016, 3-9 (16 quarters without an offensive TD ...oh yeah and @Navy)

Votes: 38 38.8%
  • 2018, TBD (literally the worst defense of our generation)

Votes: 46 46.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I have to give this season an incomplete grade so far. The way the two putrid Diaco seasons ended, I wasn't even bothering to watch anymore. For whatever reason, I keep watching this squad and really want to see how they do against the lower tier of the AAC (and UMass).

Reaction Score
I can't answer. This is like asking which hurts more: sticking a needle in your eye or pulling out a toenail. They all sucked bad. This season is painful because I really expected us to compete with Cincy and Memphis. If we don't compete down the stretch, this will be soul stomping.

Reaction Score
2016 due to Diaco’s insulting explanations for the ridiculous losses. I still remember him saying after the embarrassing loss to Temple that the team’s issues were “fixable”.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Bear with me, I’d say this TEAM is the worst but the worst SEASON is 2016.
I’d say 2016 because we actually had expectations coming off a bowl game with a lot of key guys coming back and the team just stopped playing. Obviously Shirreffs being hurt was a downer especially considering Diaco had him playing with broken ribs then lied about when he finally made a switch.
However the way the wheels came off of that one was truly miraculous.

That team started off with wins over UVA and Cincinnati. Should have beaten UCF, Cuse and actually had a shot vs Navy. Unfathomable now.

That year had the fake-fake field goal.
That year had Diaco trying to burn clock starting in the 2nd quarter vs UCF.
That should have been a 7 or so win team

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They were all bad seasons for their own reasons. 2018 is on pace to be the worst ever (based on game results alone - not coach, player, or state-of-the-program situations) but will reserve judgment until all games are played. If we actually see progress in the last few games it would make this season not-so-horrible.

Reaction Score
I don't remember exactly the moving pieces of it all as it relates to CR, but I voted 2013 because I remember thinking at the time that this sort of terrible season (and the hiring of PP before it) was exactly the thing that was going to submarine our chances at finding a new home for our athletics.

Reaction Score
I don’t know that Navy game in Diaco’s last year officially made us a joke. That really put the nail in our coffin for a while.

Reaction Score
Yeah 2016 we were coming off a bowl. It was the third season for a young HC who had improved the team from 2-10 his first year to 6-7 with a bowl appearance. My expectations were very high compared to the previous 3 seasons-- I thought 8+ wins was attainable. But then there was the ridiculous Navy meltdown (infuriating), UCF leaving the Conflict trophy on the field (embarrassing), and then the absolute drubbing from Boston College. Don't know why my dad and I thought it would be a good idea to go to that haha. It was the cherry on top of the season that began our stay as one of the 5 worst teams in the nation.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Honestly, as much as this is the worst team we've ever had due to the defense, as a spectator at least we can move the ball a bit on offense.

Getting smacked and going 3 and out every drive was impossibly horrible to watch. At least our deaths on drives are quick and after the first few TDs, relatively painless.

Reaction Score
Honestly, as much as this is the worst team we've ever had due to the defense, as a spectator at least we can move the ball a bit on offense.

Getting smacked and going 3 and out every drive was impossibly horrible to watch. At least our deaths on drives are quick and after the first few TDs, relatively painless.

I disagree. Football with no defense sucks in my opinion. College football is one of my favorite sports, but it’s way too easy to score and making it too arena-like.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I disagree. Football with no defense sucks in my opinion. College football is one of my favorite sports, but it’s way too easy to score and making it too arena-like.

I'd rather win 3-0, than lose 38-35, but I guess I'd rather lose 55-35, than 28-0.

At least there's something to root for.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
last year was at least a little exciting with Bryant S under center then the team looking like it was making improvements towards the end of the year (with Pindell looking good in some of those games). there's just nothing this year at all - no silver linings or anything, so i'm going 2018

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
2016 was frustrating simply because we could have theoretically started 4-0 with better clock management against Navy and 1 more score against Cuse. i don't think we could have won any of the other games but at least they looked competitive in most of them

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I realized my confusion over the Navy games. I was blending the 9-6 Missouri loss with goal line Navy blunder in my head.

Reaction Score
So in what year is it fair to hold Randy accountable for results?

Not really sure what that has to do w/ the question posed above by OP but if you're trolling for arguments because your bored - for me personally, it's after next year at a minimum (edit add - he's accountable now but that's not where you are trying to head w/ the question).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom