Vote UConn vs. LSU (Final Push) | The Boneyard

Vote UConn vs. LSU (Final Push)

Reaction Score
Admittedly this is dumb. But the NCAA's March Madness twitter feed is doing an all-time starting 5 tourney. We are matched up against LSU in the Sweet 16 and falling behind. We need votes, and we need them quick!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No brainer. We crushed Shaq's team with a one-armed point guard.

Reaction Score
There is no way we should be losing this. People are saying pistol Pete would dominate because he's the leading scorer in NCAA history. I don't think this would be close at all

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There is no way we should be losing this. People are saying pistol Pete would dominate because he's the leading scorer in NCAA history. I don't think this would be close at all
Pistol wasn't about winning.

Reaction Score
Well fellas that’s all she wrote. Even Syracuse’s fans done like it
25BFCF35-806A-4471-8BD0-A587DA615441.jpeg

51-49% LSU...

Reaction Score
I obviously have too much time on my hands today, but...

Seriously, not to denigrate Pete Maravich too much, because he was great FOR HIS TIME - but there is NO WAY that LSU team would beat our best 5, and no way he would dominate our back court. Kemba is way better athlete than Pistol Pete ever faced in college... and knowing Calhoun, he would have brought along Ricky Moore and/or Lyman DePriest off the bench, and they would have shut down Pete Maravich just like Ricky did to "the great" Trajan Langdon in our first title game.

Furthermore, like some of you I watched that 1991 NCAA Tournament 1st Round game where we were supposed to get our butts kicked by the Shaq-led LSU team... and we DOM-IN-A-TED from after about the first 5 minutes through the rest of the game to the final whistle... with a team nowhere near as good.

The results of this vote are an absolute JOKE! How about LSU even win a freakin' game in the Final 4, not even, you know, actually win a title... Let alone 4.

Our guys proved time and time again that they are winners when it counts... and LSU wins this vote. THEY KNOW NOTHING!

Sorry, I could not resist posting this, as it does happen to be the 11th anniversary of this famous Jim Cramer rant, and it fits in rather well with this vote.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pistol Pete was probably one of the 5 greatest college players ever (I'd argue Ray a better player, but can't argue that Ray had a better college career), Chris Jackson-college version was better than pro version, Shaq is Shaq & Pettit also a legend. No shame in losing to these guys, I think UConn wins the series 3/5 due to more modern winning players, but LSU would have a puncher's chance in every game and if Shaq gets a favorable whistle he was simply un-guardable.

Reaction Score
It's a silly poll and still not sure what the criteria is. If major criteria is who has the best basketball players and who had the biggest effect on the game of basketball then it isn't all that close. We have one all-time player, they have three. We are the way better program but that's a different argument.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Duke lost yesterday with three of the most decorated players of all time, one being a Dream Teamer (Hurley, Hill, and Laettner). Would be interesting to take all of these lineups and plug them into an EA Sports game...you know if the College games still existed.

The championship game would be either UNC or Duke vs. UCLA (Though have Alcindor and Walton in the same starting lineup is a bit of dirty pool. They are both Centers.) Fourth best is distant.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It's a silly poll and still not sure what the criteria is. If major criteria is who has the best basketball players and who had the biggest effect on the game of basketball then it isn't all that close. We have one all-time player, they have three. We are the way better program but that's a different argument.
It's voted by Twitter-savvy fans and based solely on best all-time starting 5.

Bench and coach aren't in the mix and defensive prowess is always going to take a back seat in something like this.
An all-time 2 seed is quite solid & affirming, and consider who was excluded. 51-49 margin isn't bad considering the limited criteria.

Reaction Score
Duke losing to Florida shows just how ridiculous this poll is. And SEC teams are almost always over-rated in the polls, no matter the sport.

Reaction Score

I'm not arguing we should've won. Because in the end it is a silly poll. It's more about fanbase participation and not having hated players or tradition. But you have said this a few times the 1 vs 3. Kemba is going to finish probably with somewhere around 20,000 pts (good enough for top 50 currently) and he is going to average around 6 ast. and 4 rebs. per game barring any type of injury, etc. He would demolish pistol pete. As revolutionary as Pistol was he couldn't hold Kemba's jock. So I don't see the point of reiterating the 1 "all timer" vs. 3 "all timers".

That's not even to mention the other UConn players in comparison to Pistol. If we were drafting today, and they all stood in a line in their primes, I'd be taking RIP, Ray, Rudy, Donyell, Emeka, Charlie, AD all before I took Pistol. And to a lesser degree Pettit as well. Pettit's game would've transferred to the new game but that one handed leaning in shot of his would be rejected at a 20% higher clip these days with the length and height and quick jumping ability of the 3's through 5's. But again, who knows if thats even though poll. Is it who would beat who if they all played a game in their primes? If it is than it gives the advantage to the teams with the more recent players. Or is it which team had the most success and greater impact on their generations? I like to think of it as the former. Maybe because it benefits UConn but I also just always think that way with these things.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
It's voted by Twitter-savvy fans and based solely on best all-time starting 5.

Bench and coach aren't in the mix and defensive prowess is always going to take a back seat in something like this.
An all-time 2 seed is quite solid & affirming, and consider who was excluded. 51-49 margin isn't bad considering the limited criteria.
Agreed, we are a way better program and this starting 5 of ours has 3 NCAA titles between them. My only point is we only have one legendary player in Ray, LSU has three.

We have several fans arguing Kemba is the better/more legendary player than Maravich, that's not a great look. I know it's a Uconn board but that's some serious homer type stuff.

Reaction Score
Duke losing to Florida shows just how ridiculous this poll is. And SEC teams are almost always over-rated in the polls, no matter the sport.
Just like an NCAA tournament UConn cannot take solace or anything but pleasure in Dook losing. Everyone roots for them to lose and nothing to take away from a real or popularity loss other than verifying Dook is perpetually overrated and overhyped.

Plus Laettner got retroactively suspended for multiple infractions and general douchery so they lost playing 4 on 5.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom