Vontae Diggs Tweet | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vontae Diggs Tweet

Reaction Score
You’re still missing the point. Tge kick counted, we were all excited, but the kick didn’t reflect anything significant about Edsal and the league was down. 8-4 is a fine record, but not quite spectacular.

To say nothing of the fact that the team should have been better than its 8-4 record. Losses to Temple and Rutgers were almost entirely on the coaching staff.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Well, Randy just replied...

Check out @RandyEdsall’s Tweet:

“Learn from the past, prepare for the future, and perform in the moment.”-Mike Van Hoozer

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well, Randy just replied...

Check out @RandyEdsall’s Tweet:

“Learn from the past, prepare for the future, and perform in the moment.”-Mike Van Hoozer

Never heard of the guy before and was nine letters into typing his name before Google offered his name as an option. I imagine he would've been better off quoting Mike Van Gundy.

Reaction Score
I don't get the point of the tweet. If you want him to just talk about the now, then he's going to be talking about how we're the worst team in the country every single week. He's trying to get the guys to believe that what they are going through now will pay off down the road.

As for the past, I get that him talking about the days of Alfred Fincher and winning the Motor City Bowl isn't exactly on par with Calhoun telling stories of Ray Allen and Emeka Okafor, but im still glad he tries to sell the history we do have

Reaction Score
@cohenzone I get the overall point about Edsall. But I also don't think it diminishes the Fiesta Bowl accomplishment or greatly changes how we as fans perceive him. He was a good coach, who was great for UConn for the transition to FBS. For all his flaws he went out with 9, 8, 8, 8 wins and the program would be lucky to even lose 8 games a year now

A quick anecdote, I don't know if it's all hindsight, but when it was 4th and short vs. Pitt and the ball was on our own say 35 and Edsall went for it and Todman converted, I really thought that was going to be the turning point to where we became a real contender for the top 25 every year.

We all know how it played out with him going to MD and then the raids, but I'll always wonder what could have been had he stayed and Big East carried onward.

Yes I remember that Pitt 4th and short well. Up until then, Edsall never would take a chance. He took other uncharacteristic gambles that season. I’ve always wondered if he wasn’t already discussing the job worth Maryland and was trying to show them he could be aggressive in play calling.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Mason Donaldson liked the tweet. As well as a few former players as well from Diaco era

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The small hands thing really irritated me, but overall I think Randy is doing ok. He's going to can the DC the moment the season ends and get someone with a fresh perspective. The players will be older, stronger and better next year and we will win more games. To quote someone who emerged from a number of tight spots, "If you're going through Hell, keep going." Or, if that fails, "Send lawyers, guns, and money."

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yes I remember that Pitt 4th and short well. Up until then, Edsall never would take a chance. He took other uncharacteristic gambles that season. I’ve always wondered if he wasn’t already discussing the job worth Maryland and was trying to show them he could be aggressive in play calling.

Everything was painfully conservative. I remember being so happy from my seats (which were like 4 rows from the top of the upper deck in a sold out stadium).

Reaction Score
To say nothing of the fact that the team should have been better than its 8-4 record. Losses to Temple and Rutgers were almost entirely on the coaching staff.
When I said this at the time I was killed for it.

Reaction Score
I don't get the point of the tweet. If you want him to just talk about the now, then he's going to be talking about how we're the worst team in the country every single week. He's trying to get the guys to believe that what they are going through now will pay off down the road.

As for the past, I get that him talking about the days of Alfred Fincher and winning the Motor City Bowl isn't exactly on par with Calhoun telling stories of Ray Allen and Emeka Okafor, but im still glad he tries to sell the history we do have
How would we be talking about Hurley if his philosophy was "it's going to happen, but not fast enough for the seniors here now" [what was said last year btw] This year is we are too young and some of these kids shouldn't be playing. Next year it will most certainly be there is little experience at the most important position, QB.

Better yet what would Hurley's players think of making those comments publicly. I would feel so much better about this if they didn't completely turtle up against UMass and pissed that game away. Does it matter in the grand scheme? Probably not, but we are starving for anything positive to hang our hopes on.

I was glad when they hired Edsall, but now
I'm not a fan of his approach. He's treating this like trailers again, and that worked the 1st time because the fan base was being built. The position we are in now, and Benedict needs to know this, we need a coach whose intent is to put a product people want to go out and watch right away. I really thought the hiring of Lashlee was a step in that direction, but it's obvious Randy wants to dial things back to 2007, and has said that's a 5 year plan. I just want to know when the clock starts on that plan. Are we headed into year 3, or finishing year 1, cause with him you never know.

Reaction Score
How would we be talking about Hurley if his philosophy was "it's going to happen, but not fast enough for the seniors here now" [what was said last year btw] This year is we are too young and some of these kids shouldn't be playing. Next year it will most certainly be there is little experience at the most important position, QB.

Better yet what would Hurley's players think of making those comments publicly. I would feel so much better about this if they didn't completely turtle up against UMass and pissed that game away. Does it matter in the grand scheme? Probably not, but we are starving for anything positive to hang our hopes on.

I was glad when they hired Edsall, but now
I'm not a fan of his approach. He's treating this like trailers again, and that worked the 1st time because the fan base was being built. The position we are in now, and Benedict needs to know this, we need a coach whose intent is to put a product people want to go out and watch right away. I really thought the hiring of Lashlee was a step in that direction, but it's obvious Randy wants to dial things back to 2007, and has said that's a 5 year plan. I just want to know when the clock starts on that plan. Are we headed into year 3, or finishing year 1, cause with him you never know.

Hurley has an elite backcourt, and various other decent to good recruits on his roster. It's also basketball so the process is quicker. The expectations are and should be higher.

Totally agree Edsall blew the UMass game but don't think it has anythng to do with looking towards the future. It's just common sense that the roster we have now isn't ready to win, and that this year is about getting guys experience that will hopefully pay off down the road. He could lie about that and say all he cares about is winning each week, but I don't know how that will make us better.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Mason Donaldson, Tyraiq Beals, Donovan Williams have all liked the tweet, as has Arkeel Newsome. Ryan Gilmartin's dad also liked it. Stuff like this is really, really bad. Indicative of serious lack of buy in that multiple current players would like tweets trashing our coach. Edsall's unraveling

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I tweeted @ Alex Putterman to see if he would ask Randy about this tweet and the players who have liked it tomorrow. putterman seems like he is willing to ask tough questions, so we'll see.

Reaction Score
Mason Donaldson, Tyraiq Beals, Donovan Williams have all liked the tweet, as has Arkeel Newsome. Ryan Gilmartin's dad also liked it. Stuff like this is really, really bad. Indicative of serious lack of buy in that multiple current players would like tweets trashing our coach. Edsall's unraveling

All people who aren’t seeing significant playing time.

Former players questioning prior regime/current coaches decisions are not a new phenomenon - just more visible in this day and age.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This tweet would not be an issue if the fan base trusted Edsall to play the best players and get the most out of what he has. Because the D isn’t improving ( the O is improving some) we are losing some of that trust.

Reaction Score
This tweet would not be an issue if the fan base trusted Edsall to play the best players and get the most out of what he has. Because the D isn’t improving ( the O is improving some) we are losing some of that trust.

But doesn’t that comes back to the question of who’s not playing enough that should be? I guess folks could answer, “we don’t know who they are because we’re not @ practice to see the execution/effort” but to me, none of the upperclassmen’s names on D jump out @ me glaring omissions for not seeing the field. I’m all ears...

Reaction Score
Something struck me today that perhaps Edsall seems to forget.....

1) You can't get complete "buy-in" when you're shunning the previous regimes recruits. You have to go with what you have (whether they're your guys or not). Great coaches find out what makes each kid tick and pushes those buttons to get kids to play above their capabilities. Geno is great at it. Kids today want instant gratification. They do whatever it takes to get on the field. If you cast them aside, you're not going to have any kind of team chemistry.
"A house divided against itself cannot stand." -- Abe Lincoln

2) During his prior success at UConn his staff (OC & DC) consisted of future head coaches.

Rob Ambrose (OC) - Towson University, Head Coach
Joe Moorhead (OC) - Mississippi St., Head Coach
Todd Orlando (DC) - U of Texas, Defensive Coordinator

I don't think that can be said about the current staff, right now. To me, that makes a huge difference. Great coaches surround themselves with guys that aspire to be head coaches and have the ability to teach and bring the best out players with lesser ability. I believe Edsall has lost sight of that. Maybe it's ego, maybe it's the athletic budget, but I wouldn't be worried about any BCS schools heading to Storrs for their next HC. Maybe Dunn has a chance. He's still young. Crocker, however, will likely never get another BCS job. Edsall 2.0 is not equipped to get UConn back to the level it once was, at least not on his own. He's not an elite head coach. He can tweet quotes all he wants. He's living in a house divided. Until he learns from his past, there is no future, because he's mishandling the present roster.

I know for a fact this started last season with how he handled Newsome. This isn't new.

Reaction Score

1) You can't get complete "buy-in" when you're shunning the previous regimes recruits. You have to go with what you have (whether they're your guys or not). Great coaches find out what makes each kid tick and pushes those buttons to get kids to play above their capabilities. Geno is great at it. Kids today want instant gratification. They do whatever it takes to get on the field. If you cast them aside, you're not going to have any kind of team chemistry.

2) During his prior success at UConn his staff (OC & DC) consisted of future head coaches.

I don't think that can be said about the current staff, right now. To me, that makes a huge difference. Great coaches surround themselves with guys that aspire to be head coaches and have the ability to teach and bring the best out players with lesser ability. I believe Edsall has lost sight of that. Maybe it's ego, maybe it's the athletic budget, but I wouldn't be worried about any BCS schools heading to Storrs for their next HC. Maybe Dunn has a chance. He's still young. Crocker, however, will likely never get another BCS job. Edsall 2.0 is not equipped to get UConn back to the level it once was, at least not on his own. He's not an elite head coach. He can tweet quotes all he wants. He's living in a house divided. Until he learns from his past, there is no future, because he's mishandling the present roster.

I know for a fact this started last season with how he handled Newsome. This isn't new.
Geno has the shortest bench in wbb. The 6 that play are hs aa or poy. And hes had alot of kids leave.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The first part just isn't true. Look at the starting offensive depth chart. Plenty of guys that Diaco brought in. And last year the defense was full of Diaco guys and they were terrible, too.

And to Medic's point, who on defense should be playing that isn't? I understand and agree with what Diggs is getting at with the way Edsall talks about the future... but if these so-called "gems" were here, they'd have revealed themselves by now.

Reaction Score

Liked by Garrison Burnett. I honestly can’t blame them—they’re right

Kind of agree with him. Always a big gap between the wish and the thing and it makes people crazy.

Depressed people live in the past.

Anxious people live in the future.

Happier, more productive people live in the moment. It's hard for most people to do.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
But doesn’t that comes back to the question of who’s not playing enough that should be? I guess folks could answer, “we don’t know who they are because we’re not @ practice to see the execution/effort” but to me, none of the upperclassmen’s names on D jump out @ me glaring omissions for not seeing the field. I’m all ears...
I dont dispute your point at all. I merely pointing out that because the team is performing so poorly these types of comments get more legs.

Reaction Score
This next press conference is going to be exciting. Oh my god if they ask Edsall about all this he will flip

Reaction Score
The first part just isn't true. Look at the starting offensive depth chart. Plenty of guys that Diaco brought in. And last year the defense was full of Diaco guys and they were terrible, too.

And to Medic's point, who on defense should be playing that isn't? I understand and agree with what Diggs is getting at with the way Edsall talks about the future... but if these so-called "gems" were here, they'd have revealed themselves by now.

I think you’re missing the point. Edsall isn’t getting the most out of what he has. For two reasons: 1) He had better coaches (teachers) in his first stint. 2) He’s dividing the team with his comments in public.

I don’t care who he plays but get the most out of your roster. You can’t develop depth or chemistry (especially when you don’t care about winning - his words) without opportunity. How do you really know what you have if you don’t play as many guys as possible. I’m fine with redshirting guys. I’m talking about guys that don’t have that option. What do they have to lose at this point? If a kid knows there’s no opportunity to play (the dangling carrot), then they’re not going to give you their best effort everyday. There’s no incentive. You know why the top programs continue to get kids year after year, great coaches and opportunity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom