Volkswagen Experts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Volkswagen Experts

Reaction Score
I know a kid who has a chance to buy a 2017 Passat .I’m assuming lower model with 112,000 miles on it relatively ($12K )inexpensively
I’m a Toyota guy and my understanding is even the Turbo 4 cylinder is pretty much done at 100,000. I understand German car repairs tend to be pricy.
They can’t afford expensive repairs but need a vehicle to get to work.
If it was a Camry , or Accord , Civic , or Corolla it’s still in the break stage. But I’m uncertain on VW durability.
Good or Bad idea

Reaction Score
Avoid all BMWs from 2008 or so onwards. Avoid anything made by Volkswagen/Audi.

You’ll have better luck with Mercedes and Porsche, although repairs are typically stratospheric in cost.
OK, stick with Mercedes & Porsche, gotcha.

Subaru WRX - Any negative feedback? I am looking for a used car to replace my small sedan, something fun to drive, and this car seems to fit the bill. Not as expensive as the German autos and a manual transmission with all-wheel drive makes it a perfect fit.

Reaction Score

Subaru WRX - Any negative feedback? I am looking for a used car to replace my small sedan, something fun to drive, and this car seems to fit the bill. Not as expensive as the German autos and a manual transmission with all-wheel drive makes it a perfect fit.
the shifter isn't great for a manual transmission. they're not very comfortable. the 2014+ are much more reliable than previous versions but they're less reliable than your average vehicle.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Stick with Mercedes if you are in that part of the market obviously. Some MB models are nearly bulletproof to about 300,000 miles…my father used to put 200k on them and then would simply replace it with a new version of the same model.

If you are a normal human being who expects cars to just work like they are supposed to and be repaired without superhuman efforts, buy something else.

I do not think I have ever heard anyone say anything bad about a Subaru.

Reaction Score
the shifter isn't great for a manual transmission. they're not very comfortable. the 2014+ are much more reliable than previous versions but they're less reliable than your average vehicle.
Seconding that reliability is a definite concern depending on the engine model. Do some research to make sure that engine did not have head gasket issues. I would also make sure you're only buying a very clean car. WRX's attract a lot of morons and also a lot DIYers that may have done some shoddy work or put some serious strain on the car.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Avoid all BMWs from 2008 or so onwards. Avoid anything made by Volkswagen/Audi.

You’ll have better luck with Mercedes and Porsche, although repairs are typically stratospheric in cost.
for a variety of reasons not to my liking, im stuck tooling around in a benz 420S, circa 2012, for a week or so, crushing my street cred as a truck person. gross.
upon pickup, sisinlaw sez 'ur not gonna like it.' im like, 'beyond my disgust for foreign junk, what do u mean?' i get in, aaaaannnnnd i sez 'i don't like it. what are there, like 100 buttons on this? im not going back to school to learn how to run this!' i start poking the buttons to figger out the basics, and realize that the driver wiper is sketchy. we head to fairdale benz, behind the train station, bro walks in cuz its one of his rides. i wait outside.
10-15 minutes later, he walks out and *yells to me 'these people are morons! the driverwiper is different than the passenger one, i wanted to replace both, they tell me $178 for the pair, but only have the passenger one, and we'll get the driver one in a couple/tree days.'
headed over to auto zone, figgered out a good plan with the guy there, aboot 30 bucks for the pair.
buy 'murican. parts are inexpensive, and u can always get them five minutes from ur home. benz are dopes. they should have a pull down chart sumwhere near the driver with what the icons on all those buttons mean. im not a freakin mind reader.

*yells. at the top of their stairs by the door.
bro is a very large man, also born in Bridgeport. doesn't care if any benz service person heard him (they did).

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

As @WhereistheDove? said, the WRX is a hoon car. People beat the crap out of them and it has a cult following (like the Mitsubishi EVo used to). Not something I'd get used unless I knew the owner. Best best for a car like that is a Civic Si. It will attract some people who will drive it hard, but not nearly as many. Mazda 3, Kia Forte GT are other options. There's always the Jetta GLI to bring things full circle in the thread.

Reaction Score
As @WhereistheDove? said, the WRX is a hoon car. People beat the crap out of them and it has a cult following (like the Mitsubishi EVo used to). Not something I'd get used unless I knew the owner. Best best for a car like that is a Civic Si. It will attract some people who will drive it hard, but not nearly as many. Mazda 3, Kia Forte GT are other options. There's always the Jetta GLI to bring things full circle in the thread.
Yes, and as my wife told me, insurance. I was actually looking at the Subaru Crosstrek. I just want something fun to drive, I'm not drag racing. Lots of Jettas and Golfs out there so I think I need to look at them.

My first car was an old used rabbit and my second was a used VW which drove like the hot North African wind. No problemas.

Reaction Score
I know a kid who has a chance to buy a 2017 Passat .I’m assuming lower model with 112,000 miles on it relatively ($12K )inexpensively
I’m a Toyota guy and my understanding is even the Turbo 4 cylinder is pretty much done at 100,000. I understand German car repairs tend to be pricy.
They can’t afford expensive repairs but need a vehicle to get to work.
If it was a Camry , or Accord , Civic , or Corolla it’s still in the break stage. But I’m uncertain on VW durability.
Good or Bad idea
Did the kid pull the trigger? I was surprised to hear about the low reliability ratings but I have to believe it's gonna last much longer than 100k miles. $12k seems like an incredibly good price.

So, what's the best online source?
cars.com
carvana.com
craigslist.com
ebay.com
other

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Did the kid pull the trigger? I was surprised to hear about the low reliability ratings but I have to believe it's gonna last much longer than 100k miles. $12k seems like an incredibly good price.

So, what's the best online source?
cars.com
carvana.com
craigslist.com
ebay.com
other
$13.5 k, 38k miles. lots of them around. great car.
it's got ur stick in it.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/92790a1b-f319-4985-b025-61631dfc2ad2/

Reaction Score

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I was looking into Camaro's but thought it would be too much of a muscle car. I'd like to go test drive it. My biggest concern is driving it in the winter, I don't want to be that guy completely stuck on an icy road. Gotta go full Cali and opt for the rag top.

Global warming.

Commit to the convertible. Winter schminter.

Reaction Score
VW Golf and Jetta
Jeep Wrangler
Subaru WRX
Mini Cooper Clubman

I like the jeeps but I wish there were a similar outdoorsy vehicle built for the road. Now this would be some-Thing!!

1653759661891.png

Reaction Score
I'm really interested in buying a used Countryman. MINI. Get the manual transmission before everyone stops making them completely, it's a nice size, panoramic sunroof, and it doesn't look like every other small suv. Does anyone have any negative feedback on the MINI's? The wifey seems to think they are not great cars but I have no experience with them. It really has everything I'm looking for and they just seem like fun yet practical cars.

cooper.gif

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm really interested in buying a used Countryman. MINI. Get the manual transmission before everyone stops making them completely, it's a nice size, panoramic sunroof, and it doesn't look like every other small suv. Does anyone have any negative feedback on the MINI's? The wifey seems to think they are not great cars but I have no experience with them. It really has everything I'm looking for and they just seem like fun yet practical cars.

View attachment 77600
They are little baby BMWs. Fine really if you don’t expect Chevy priced maintenance. Agree the countryman is big enough and also small enough to be fun.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom