Voepel: S. Carolina should have beat UCONN | The Boneyard

Voepel: S. Carolina should have beat UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
That's pretty accurate. SC had 4 shots to win the game in regulation.
Including three right around the basket. Voelpel makes a good point that it should add more fuel to the fire for SC should they meet again in the NCAAs. It was a very winnable game for either team and SC struggled executing down the stretch and then got singlehandedly beat by Bueckers.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Whenever I hear the line from any team that they should have or could have won, I am reminded of Vince Lombardi’s classic quote: “If you could have won, you should have won!”

Yes, SC missed several bunnies in regulation. They also hit a half court prayer at the half. If that didn’t go in, even if they make a last second bunny, SC still loses.

During the ebb and flow of any close game there are countless opportunities on either side that could have been the difference one way or another.

UConn could have won the game and they did.......

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Should uh, could uh, would uh... oh,wait, DIDN'T. So the fact that Paige has 3 30 point games is a sign of weakness and if Maya and Diane joined UConn teams of a similar make up they'd have scored 30 point games too. Oh boy. I like Voelpel when she's reporting from her bedroom close to her medicine cabinet.

Reaction Score
Including three right around the basket. Voelpel makes a good point that it should add more fuel to the fire for SC should they meet again in the NCAAs. It was a very winnable game for either team and SC struggled executing down the stretch and then got singlehandedly beat by Bueckers.
Be careful what you wish for. Could easily argue that with good shooting UConn wins by double-digits. Team, minus Paige shoots 15-47, 2-15 including Paige from 3, and 3-8 from the FT line. We kept getting leads at the end and losing them. Moving screens? Team chemistry is a work in progress. Much better stuff on the horizon. SC "is what we thought they were", to quote Dennis Green. We know we can play with them, even shooting bad. IMO if I was SC, I would want nothing more to do with UConn. Let somebody else deal with UConn.

Reaction Score
Sorry but there's nothing South Carolina could have done to stop Paige. There was that one play where they had her triple teamed and she kissed a hook shot off the high glass out of Boston's reach. South Carolina did what they could, but Paige is Paige, and she made difficult shot after difficult shot down the stretch no matter how many defenders South Carolina had draped on her.

Reaction Score
That's pretty accurate. SC had 4 shots to win the game in regulation.
Thats true - but UConn had just had a bad turnover with a chance to take the lead, which set that up. Of course, SC had a bad turnover to set that UConn turnover up. But UConn didn‘t score for 7 minutes after they were up by eight before that.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Well there`s 8:38 I`ll never get back.

My main takeaway from that game is that it showed our Freshman can can play on the big stage and can go toe to toe with anybody.

I could care less what Michelle Voepel thinks.

Reaction Score
Voepel could have said "SC could have won at the end if they had hit their shots" but again, if we had hit more threes it wouldn't have been close. Saying SC should have won is basically saying they are a better team and that UConn got lucky. Dislike.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Voepel could have said "SC could have won at the end if they had hit their shots" but again, if we had hit more threes it wouldn't have been close. Saying SC should have won is basically saying they are a better team and that UConn got lucky. Dislike.
I believe that's pretty close if not exactly what she said.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thats true - but UConn had just had a bad turnover with a chance to take the lead, which set that up. Of course, SC had a bad turnover to set that UConn turnover up. But UConn didn‘t score for 7 minutes after they were up by eight before that.
You guys need to stop gunning for her and at least listen to what she said.
South Carolina had 4 shots to win the game at the end of regulation. She's not reliving the whole game in which either team had chances to put the game away. She specifically is talking about those 4 shots at the end of regulation. She specifically said "not to take anything from UCONN". @SVCBeercats way to antagonize the mass with that headline.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

My main takeaway from that game is that it showed our Freshman can can play on the big stage and can go toe to toe with anybody.

Nice-you could care less what she had to say but you want the time you spent listening to her back? Suggest you spend you time more wisely.

Reaction Score
Whenever I hear the line from any team that they should have or could have won, I am reminded of Vince Lombardi’s classic quote: “If you could have won, you should have won!”

Yes, SC missed several bunnies in regulation. They also hit a half court prayer at the half. If that didn’t go in, even if they make a last second bunny, SC still loses.

During the ebb and flow of any close game there are countless opportunities on either side that could have been the difference one way or another.

UConn could have won the game and they did.......

Yeah, that's very typical of a delusional golfer saying that if they had made those two 5ft breaking putts, not shanked that chip, and not hit the one drive OB, they would have broken par instead of shooting 83. You are what you are.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Be careful what you wish for. Could easily argue that with good shooting UConn wins by double-digits. Team, minus Paige shoots 15-47, 2-15 including Paige from 3, and 3-8 from the FT line. We kept getting leads at the end and losing them. Moving screens? Team chemistry is a work in progress. Much better stuff on the horizon. SC "is what we thought they were", to quote Dennis Green. We know we can play with them, even shooting bad. IMO if I was SC, I would want nothing more to do with UConn. Let somebody else deal with UConn.

It goes both ways. Henderson had the worst game of her career and SC went 1-9 from deep and 8-15 from the line. They also got next to nothing from Saxton and missed a LOT of easy looks. Both teams played like crap offensively and either could've won by 10+ had they shot better.

Reaction Score
...but we didn’t let ’em off the hook.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
And, of course, if a bullfrog had wings....

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

You could?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Some might argue that the bounce on Paige´s 3 was a lucky fluke, and, of course, it was. But keep in mind that, not only did she get it off in a nano-second, but she was off balance when she shot. It was truly Diana-esque.

Reaction Score
If SC had hit any of the gimmes in regulation, the narrative would've been different. But they did not, and that opened the door for us to do some impressive stuff, thanks to Paige. (shrugs) That's the way sporting contests are.

Reaction Score
Didn’t UConn blow a 7/9 point 4th qtr lead. Did anyone other than Paige score in double figures? What happens if they meet again and Christyn or Evina get 15 a piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom