Voepel picks Baylor over UConn to reach the Final Four | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Voepel picks Baylor over UConn to reach the Final Four

Reaction Score
I like UCONN in this potential match up with Baylor. I think the guard play and speed will determine the outcome.
.... And no slow starts, please. Baylor knows it could not beat the old UConn, but is overconfident about the 'new' UConn - We must show them the light. A quick 3 & suffocating defense will be revelatory. The same is true for Stanford. There's a new dynasty in town.
Actually in 2013, we beat then #1 Stanford at their place by 26 (61 - 35), lost to then #1 Baylor at home (76 - 70). The best part, though was losing to Notre Dame 3 times (twice in the preceding month, once in triple-overtime), & then whomping on 'em in the final four by 18, behind Stewie's 29 points as a freshman. Baylor lost before we could get a rematch. That was the first year of Stewie's dynasty - and this is the first year of Paige's dynasty - and reinforcements are on the way. UConn was 35 - 4 then, & will be 30 - 1 in the year of the coronavirus.

Reaction Score
Play tough defense, aggressive offense, hit the glass, limit the turnovers and play smart. Don't rush at any point in time during the game. Play with speed but not fast.

Reaction Score
I think that is a fair analysis. But as a UConn fan, I would offer the following counterthoughts:
  • The graduation of Lauren Cox and the Te'a Cooper are significant subtractions for Baylor, who dominated last year's game mainly through Cox's inside defense and Cooper's 3-point shooting.
  • The departures of Crystal Dangerfield and Megan Walker were significant, but are fully compensated (in my opinion) by the arrival of Paige Bueckers and Evina Westbrook. I don't see equivalent "adds" on the Baylor side.
  • Aaliyah Edwards is a whole new factor for UConn -- the Huskies had no one like her on last year's team. That should change the "balance of power" in the paint significantly in UConn's favor. Nika Muhl is also a new factor, but I don't think she will have the same significance in the Baylor game.
  • UConn's returning players (Olivia Nelson Ododa and Christyn Williams) have gotten a lot better, particularly in the latter part of this season, but I'm sure that the same can be said of Baylor's returning players.
Last year's game was extremely close until halfway through the 4th quarter, when something happened and UConn was unable to continue scoring. Did Kim Mulkey come up with a defensive stroke of genius? Or did UConn's shooters just go cold at the wrong time? I'm not sure, but the final score was an 18-point Baylor win.

The factors noted above should make UConn stronger and Baylor weaker than last year. The question is whether the differences are enough to make up an 18-point margin. I don't know the answer to that question, but of course I'm rooting for UConn.
What could have given Baylor & others overconfidence was the fact that 2019 - 20 UConn seemed to have lost ground a bit - The old UConn would never have lost 3 games to the highest ranked teams by 18, 18, & 16 points, & gone 28 - 0 against the rest. It could have given Baylor & Stanford the false impression that UConns run was done. We can correct that impression this year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When told in December 1993 -- after a 19-point rout of UConn -- that the Huskies should be much improved with the arrival of a certain player from Bloomfield, VanDerveer responded: "We signed six Nykesha Saleses."
Reading that anew, I don't think there's anything wrong with taking umbrage with Tara for what she said. She opened her big yap and history proved her wrong. She hasn't won the big one since.

Reaction Score
.... And no slow starts, please. Baylor knows it could not beat the old UConn, but is overconfident about the 'new' UConn - We must show them the light. A quick 3 & suffocating defense will be revelatory. The same is true for Stanford. There's a new dynasty in town.
Actually in 2013, we beat then #1 Stanford at their place by 26 (61 - 35), lost to then #1 Baylor at home (76 - 70). The best part, though was losing to Notre Dame 3 times (twice in the preceding month, once in triple-overtime), & then whomping on 'em in the final four by 18, behind Stewie's 29 points as a freshman. Baylor lost before we could get a rematch. That was the first year of Stewie's dynasty - and this is the first year of Paige's dynasty - and reinforcements are on the way. UConn was 35 - 4 then, & will be 30 - 1 in the year of the coronavirus.
I would be shocked at a slow start. The newly reinvigorated defense creates steals, deflections, and a transition offense that creates a fast start. While our players know what this is it will be the first time to play in it for our freshmen and sophomores. There won't be any hesitancy as a team, I am just worried that the pass first mentality by our guards continues. We need the guards shooting and scoring as we get into the later rounds.

Reaction Score
Baylor has shut down Collier from Texas in three games.I don’t think she scored a total of 15 points in those three games.She is considered #1 pick in draft.I think Olivia will be invisible against Baylor.They will probably put Didi
on Paige she has great length and was defensive player of the year.Baylor Achilles heel is shooting threes.They don’t take many.If we get by Baylor I like our chances
I expect Liv to play well against Baylor if we play and I will be shocked if Paige is shut down by Didi. They will be tough but I believe we will win that game for sure barring a complete breakdown on our part. Stanford is the team that concerns me. They are the big dog in this kennel and really, imo the only team that might actually beat UConn even if UConn plays well. All the other teams imo will need UConn and Stanford to not play their best game!

Reaction Score
There are many pundits who had Maryland & Baylor higher than the selection committee ranked them. Consensus is that they should have been seeded higher than NC State, Texas A&M, & South Carolina. So selecting Baylor and/ or Maryland to reach the final four isn't much of a stretch. They are not the typical #6 & #7 seeded teams.
I agree that Baylor is one of the teams clearly capable of reaching the Final Four. However, Baylor has a problem that Maryland and Stanford don’t have. They have to beat UConn to get there! I think the defenses will cancel each other out and Baylor will be unable to score enough points offensively to win.

Reaction Score
Baylor can win it all but I don't think they will. Like SCar, they lack outside shooting. The Bears had zero top 10 opponents and their best opponent was Arkansas. Not their fault but nevertheless it's a huge ?
Last year Baylor had Cox and this year UConn has Edwards. Egbo is good, Smith is very good, but they are not that good.
Lol smith is a first team all American! I’d take her over edwards any day

Reaction Score
I expect Liv to play well against Baylor if we play and I will be shocked if Paige is shut down by Didi. They will be tough but I believe we will win that game for sure barring a complete breakdown on our part. Stanford is the team that concerns me. They are the big dog in this kennel and really, imo the only team that might actually beat UConn even if UConn plays well. All the other teams imo will need UConn and Stanford to not play their best game!
Lol liv has scored 0 points in her 2 games against Baylor!

Reaction Score
Not underestimating Baylor at all. They are a very good team. Let me ask you as a Baylor fan. Do you really think this year’s Baylor team is as good as last year’s?
No but we are better than people expect us to be and it’s a down year for everyone! Anything can happen this year

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Reading that anew, I don't think there's anything wrong with taking umbrage with Tara for what she said. She opened her big yap and history proved her wrong. She hasn't won the big one since.
From Jeff Jacobs’ 12/22/97 column, after being told UConn would be improved by adding Nykesha Sales the next season , TVDV replied,

"This is kind of a transition year and we haven't really been in sync," VanDerveer is quoted. "We had our best recruiting class. We signed six Nykesha Saleses."

Now, a UConn fan looking for an excuse to take umbrage thinks Tara dissed Kesh, but someone else might think that she was saying (clumsily and tactlessly) that she was bringing in 6 players that will improve her team. Was it poorly said, absolutely, but Tara wanted Kesh really badly so she knew what a great player she was. Yeah, the lack of tact was probably from sour grapes but Tara in her younger days was a feisty, fiery coach. Reminds me of another coach, one we know and love....

Reaction Score
"Ain't over til it's over" Look at Penn State wrestling last night. 4 National champs and only 1 was expected to win.

Reaction Score
Lol smith is a first team all American! I’d take her over edwards any day

You have the matchup wrong. Edwards comes off the bench, like Gusters. And that's all those 2 have in common.

Reaction Score
When told in December 1993 -- after a 19-point rout of UConn -- that the Huskies should be much improved with the arrival of a certain player from Bloomfield, VanDerveer responded: "We signed six Nykesha Saleses."

On Dec. 21, 1997, after an 16-point UConn victory in Lakeland, Fla., VanDerveer would deny ever saying it. The tape recorder insisted otherwise. The bottom line was that Sales lit up the Stanford tree for 46 points, a UConn-scoring and in-your-face record that still stands.

Then there's...

But it was the Rebecca Lobo situation that made things hairy in a lot of people's minds. "Rebecca was coming out as the darling of college basketball. There were a lot of great players already on that Olympic team, but all anybody wanted to talk about was Rebecca Lobo, Rebecca Lobo."

Lobo didn't start in a much-awaited exhibition return to Storrs. VanDerveer only played her only 13 minutes in a 36-point rout of UConn and that came off cold. She came off even colder, saying Lobo had a problem saying no to endorsements and needed to say yes to more conditioning. Many UConn fans thought VanDerveer was jealous of the adoration UConn had received and her distaste for Geno's flamboyance was being visited on Lobo.

"The kids on that team had a chance to really be showcased [when they return to their campuses] and it didn't happen here," Auriemma said. "I don't know if it was resentment on her part toward the way Rebecca was being treated or she didn't like the way Rebecca was playing or working. I never did ask her."
I was not around back then. Questions for BYers who were.
Is there a link to an actual Tara quote about Lobo endorsements and conditioning?
After that above article was written, did Geno ever ask Tara about Lobo?
Lobo ever publicly discuss her PT on the Olympic team?
Lobo ever publicly discuss her relationship with Tara?
Thanks for any details, insight, and links.

Reaction Score
I was not around back then. Questions for BYers who were.
Is there a link to an actual Tara quote about Lobo endorsements and conditioning?
After that above article was written, did Geno ever ask Tara about Lobo?
Lobo ever publicly discuss her PT on the Olympic team?
Lobo ever publicly discuss her relationship with Tara?
Thanks for any details, insight, and links.
@dogged1 linked an article summarizing much of that history...

Tara got Lobo shoved down her throat by the USA Basketball selection committee, and was publicly unhappy about it. Then she 'abused' Rebecca on the Olympic team and didn't play her. Lobo has always taken the high road. Geno not so much, but lately moreso (I'm disappointed. "Vendetta" is an Italian word, and I would have expected at least 74 more years of hard feelings. I guess he's been Americanized.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@dogged1 linked an article summarizing much of that history...

Tara got Lobo shoved down her throat by the USA Basketball selection committee, and was publicly unhappy about it. Then she 'abused' Rebecca on the Olympic team and didn't play her. Lobo has always taken the high road. Geno not so much, but lately moreso (I'm disappointed. "Vendetta" is an Italian word, and I would have expected at least 74 more years of hard feelings. I guess he's been Americanized.)
Article does not include an actual Tara quote about Lobo endorsements and conditioning. Which is why I asked the question in the first place.
You have the right to your opinion. But using "Abused" is quite an allegation without providing verifiable proof. "Abuse" is not something to thrown around lightly, whether in quotes or not.
There are people on this board who were S/P Abused as Children.
Not sure the Mods will allow this post. Just wanted to be honest.
/Thread

Reaction Score
Article does not include an actual Tara quote about Lobo endorsements and conditioning. Which is why I asked the question in the first place.
You have the right to your opinion. But using "Abused" is quite an allegation without providing verifiable proof. "Abuse" is not something to thrown around lightly, whether in quotes or not.
There are people on this board who were S/P Abused as Children.
Not sure the Mods will allow this post. Just wanted to be honest.
/Thread
Sorry I didn't answer your exact question. Here's another article without exact quotes, but includes Tara admitting that her "...comments were born out of frustration...", indicating that there were, indeed, comments:

"For much of the year, VanDerveer worried that her players were too small to beat the larger and more formidable Russian and Chinese women. She urged the team's sponsors to replace some of them, including media star Rebecca Lobo. When that didn't work, VanDerveer vented her concerns to USA Today."

(The USA Today link in the article is also a dead end)

Anyway, I know you didn't ask for my advice, but you might want to consider switching to decaf... ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes that’s true, but you need to go back a very long time to find an Elite 8 game that UConn actually lost.
"In the last 19 years, the Huskies have lost 11 games in the NCAA tournament. 5 of them have come in the regional final. And while other programs would carve statues to the players and coaches responsible for an 11-5 record in the Elite Eight since 1994, the five losses support what UConn coach Geno Auriemma says every year at this time:

This is the hardest game of the tournament to win."

This is from 2012, so it is a long time ago, but still a truism. So, if UConn (probably) plays Baylor in this Elite 8, it may provide indications whether this is the beginning of the next dynasty or not. It certainly has not seemed the same since Stewie left

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In the 20 tournaments starting with the one in 2000 which is when the dynasty really began:
Championship game: 10-0
Semifinal 10-7
Regional Final 17-2
Sweet 16 19-1

So based solely on record ... the Semifinal game has been Uconn's hardest.

I think is his mind he still thinks of the early years establishing the program after the first breakthrough to the FF in 1991. After that year he lost second round, first round, elite 8, NC, semi, elite 8, elite 8, S16. The reality now is different.

NB That semifinal record of playing in 17 of the 20 in this century is just mind blowing!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
"In the last 19 years, the Huskies have lost 11 games in the NCAA tournament. 5 of them have come in the regional final. And while other programs would carve statues to the players and coaches responsible for an 11-5 record in the Elite Eight since 1994, the five losses support what UConn coach Geno Auriemma says every year at this time:

This is the hardest game of the tournament to win."

This is from 2012, so it is a long time ago, but still a truism. So, if UConn (probably) plays Baylor in this Elite 8, it may provide indications whether this is the beginning of the next dynasty or not. It certainly has not seemed the same since Stewie left
I guess I’ll have to answer my own question. The last time UConn lost an Elite 8 game was 2007, 14 seasons ago. Since that time the Huskies are 12-0 in the Elite 8, with last year’s tournament cancelled and this year TBD.

So while Geno may say it’s the hardest game of the tournament to win, maybe he should add, “if you’re not UConn.” As UcMiami pointed out, all of UConn’s recent losses in the tournament have occurred in the semifinals, and as we all know, Geno has never lost a national championship game.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Voepel on the UConn-Iowa game: "viewers with UConn fatigue (everyone except Huskies fans) will join Hawkeye Nation as huge Iowa fans". Too bad for them, I guess.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Voepel on the UConn-Iowa game: "viewers with UConn fatigue (everyone except Huskies fans) will join Hawkeye Nation as huge Iowa fans". Too bad for them, I guess.
Jeez, are we back to UConn is bad for women's basketball already? Gimme a break it's been a 4 year drought. ;) :(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom